"NO Firearm" signs... your response?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,869 Senior Member
In states where "no firearms" signs in a location have no real legal meaning (other than the owner being able to ask you to leave and have you charged with trespassing if you don't) How do you respond to them.

Me, it sort of depends on my reason for going to said location. Going to a state community college, they have a no firearms policy and when I go to classes, I adhere to it. When I go there for shorter times/reasons.....

Movie theaters, retail locations, restaurants ect: well, there's a reason why it's called "concealed carry"

So, how about you?

well, I tried to make this a poll.... that didn't work out :roll:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    I look at the sign, if it has the ARS#(Arizona Revised Statute) on it then I don't carry there, or I just don't go in.

If it is just the owner's idea then I carry, "concealed means concealed" and all they can do is ask me to leave.

I do carry while teaching at the college...

So far I have never been made and have had no issues, of course it is Az....
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    As per gator and knite, it does depend on the type of sign.

If it's just a businesses' policy to not allow weapons, I sometimes take my money to another place or just stay concealed. If you're spotted the most the owner can do (per Tx law) is to ask you to leave but they have to know you're carrying first, and as you say, "concealed" carry means concealed. Duh.

If it's however part of the state no-weapons law, such as a bar or tavern, I'll leave my gun elsewhere. There's NO WAY that I would maybe have my little KelTec .380 tucked away in my pocket while attending a local band's concert and then of course have it available when it's 130am and I'm going to my car in the parking lot. No Way.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    If I see a "no firearms" sign, then I just assume they don't want my money and i'll go someplace else.
    And as Knite said it does depend on what it is , govt. buildings, airport, etc.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    If I see a No Smoking sign on a restaurant, I don't smoke. Since I don't smoke anyway, it's not a problem for me. I respect the property rights of others. I don't feel comfortable in being a pompous azzhat by confronting the restaurant owner and imposing my own values on him. If I did smoke, I'd go somewhere that allowed it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Premises posting signs like "No Weapons" or "No Firearms" are the most dangerous places to be. Gun free zones are magnets for those who are angry and/or insane. I came to a political decision years ago - my personal safety trumps property rights, period. Unless I am going to a venue where I will be scanned or wanded, like a government building or an airport, I carry. I believe it is appropriate to be armed anywhere and any time I am likely to come into the presence of any other person.

Unless I am inverted upside down, and vigorously shaken so that my NAA Mini Revolver falls out of my pocket, nobody will ever know I am carrying a concealed weapon. Nobody yet has had a clue I was carrying. Ignorance is bliss, thus none have I offended. I've carried it right passed signs and into places prohibiting guns and weapons probably hundreds of times over the years, and I will continue to do so.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I abide with the state law which means I have to leave the gun elsewhere often when shopping with Clean.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    If I see a "no firearms" sign, then I just assume they don't want my money and i'll go someplace else.
    And as Knite said it does depend on what it is , govt. buildings, airport, etc.

JAY

Oh, absolutely correct. No way we should CC in gummint places. That can really get you in mucho hot water. Private businesses, another thing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    We carry concealed "in town" and also abide with our states law...and breeze past them like they weren't there....unless there is a metal detector and a guard on the other side of the door. Although we generally avoid places that don't want to do business with "our kind".
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    A lot of LGS have no loaded guns allowed inside signs.....I can see why....they like staying alive! Bring in all the unloaded guns ya want, though. I guess that applies to CCW too?????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    We carry concealed "in town" and also abide with our states law...and breeze past them like they weren't there....unless there is a metal detector and a guard on the other side of the door. Although we generally avoid places that don't want to do business with "our kind".

Those guards/cops are the first targets of shooters......I used to laugh at the instructions for getting into a GOVT building where I worked. You had to scan your CAC card for access since they cut back on the door guards/badge checkers to save money....they would tell us to challenge anyone trying to Choo-Choo Train in behind us and ask to see their badges/ID and direct them to a security entrance with guards if they were acting suspicious or didn't have a badge. I can see reporting a character not acting right, but there is a point/ time to back off. naturally we couldn't CCW on post or even have a pocketknife with a blade over 3".....

I told folks you go ahead and play cop and you are gonna be the first one shot by an active shooter. I got some dumbfounded looks, but some thought about it and realized how vulnerable they were playing ID Cop at the entrances.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I recently stayed at an Embassy Suite in Charlotte NC and noticed one of the no gun
    signs at the entrance. I think that larger companies are simply over Lawyer-ed.
    OTOH, smaller "mom & pop" establishments with NG signs don't get my money
    even though I almost never carry, at least for now. A year or so ago I stayed at a
    Double Tree hotel that had RT news on the cable system, (first time I was aware of it ) and when checking out made my feelings known to the manager. Several weeks ago I stayed at the same hotel and Russian Times had been removed,I
    guess I wasn't the only person to complain !
    Big Chief wrote: »
    A lot of LGS have no loaded guns allowed inside signs.....I can see why....they like staying alive! Bring in all the unloaded guns ya want, though. I guess that applies to CCW too?????

Cabelas has a sign like that but says not ccw on the bottom........they are talking about the guns people bring in to sell or get worked on.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Big Chief wrote: »

Never seen such "no loaded" signs in any of the LGS I go to. And the LGS I normally buy from, all the staff wear open-carry pistols and I see customers taking out their CHL guns all the time.

By "LGS" do you mean large sporting goods chains like Academy, or do you mean "real" gun stores that are essentially weapons shops?

• topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Unfortunately, "No Firearms" signs in Michigan carry the weight of law. If you don't leave when asked, you risk being arrested for trespassing.

When I rarely encounter one of these signs, I have the wife leave a card saying I'll honor their no gun sign by shopping elsewhere. These cards are free and downloadable at www.mcrgo.org
    samzhere wrote: »
    Never seen such "no loaded" signs in any of the LGS I go to. And the LGS I normally buy from, all the staff wear open-carry pistols and I see customers taking out their CHL guns all the time.

By "LGS" do you mean large sporting goods chains like Academy, or do you mean "real" gun stores that are essentially weapons shops?

Sam, I mean local gun shops is where I've seen the sign. Can't remember about the Box Big Stores.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Cabelas has a sign like that but says not ccw on the bottom........they are talking about the guns people bring in to sell or get worked on.

We had a policy like that at the big LGS I worked at.........just for the stupid things that happen....like guys and gals with no firearms experience finding guns in deceased relatives houses.....would bring them in.......or folks that chambered a round..and don't know how to clear it........better to go out to the car with them and handle it.........
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    As I posted earlier, No Loaded Firearms is pretty standard at our LGS. The staff may or may not carry visible firearms. I think it's an insurance thing. Still, there is a rare discharge every few years.

CC would solve almost all these problems with No Firearms signs. If you're made for packing in, say, a restaurant, you should review your concealment plan. I've never heard of a restaurant or any other business asking someone that's CC leave.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Businesses here in TX can prohibit concealed carry. However, they must post a sign with specific wording near the main entrance. Any place with such a sign won't see a dime of my money.

Some establishments have signs stating something to the effect of "Concealed carry on these premises without a license is illegal." That sort of sign may mollify the the anti-gun folks, but it really is meaningless. It's illegal to concealed carry in this state without a license anyways, so they've just posted the law.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    A sign is more like a request. If you let someone know you're carrying, you're pretty much losing the game. I would probably ignore a sign if I saw one, which I never have except the "No Loaded Guns" in the LGS. I don't think they mind a concealed weapon since they don't check for one.

In gun shows I've been to, the gate takes your weapon, checks it for it being loaded, and put a plastic locking band through the action to render it unshootable, which I think is a great idea. Not sure I want to be around a few hundred people of questionable experience with loaded guns they're displaying. Kid got killed at a gunshow a couple of years back. Despite the rules.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    Not sure I want to be around a few hundred people of questionable experience with loaded guns

What makes the people at a gun show different than the same people somewhere else?

I never understood why the would render my gun useless at a gun show but allow me to carry most everywhere else.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Well, you have a couple of hundred guys in one concentrated area where showing guns is pretty common. If they'd keep the guns holstered, they would be safe, but that's not human nature when trying to make a trade or showing someone your gun. I don't like to be around a group of 200 people in any circumstance, but an unsupervised bunch of guys with guns who aren't restricted by more than a request and are apt to be displayed kinda turns me off. There is a reason for rules at a range, enforced by rangemasters, and the reasoning behind the rules applies at gun shows, IMO.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Over here, if I see a sign that says "No Firearms" on a shop I intend entering..........it means that the Gun shop is out of stock..........That's what you get when you live in a country where you are not allowed to own handguns.

Never seen one of them signs yet.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Gene,
    I see your point but......I don't think "shall not be infringed" was meant for all places except gun shows.

If we want our freedoms they need to be for everyone and unconditional.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    Gene,
    I see your point but......I don't think "shall not be infringed" was meant for all places except gun shows.

If we want our freedoms they need to be for everyone and unconditional.

Don't throw those slow and low balls if you want to make a point.

"Shall not be infringed" is constitutional language and applies, of course, ONLY to the government infringing, not business owners. Try entering a restaurant and harranging the diners and you'll see you don't have a 1st Amendment right to do so.

A simple and basic rule about the Bill of Rights is it limits the powers of government, not the power of a business owner. It's convenient for some to forget this, but it's fundamentally dumb and crap-house law.

So when the cops in Ferguson arrested reporters who were not looting but merely reporting, they likely violated the reporters 1st Amendment rights, since the cops represented "a" government.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    orchidman wrote: »
    Over here, if I see a sign that says "No Firearms" on a shop I intend entering..........it means that the Gun shop is out of stock..........That's what you get when you live in a country where you are not allowed to own handguns.

Never seen one of them signs yet.

Time fer a NZ REVOLUTION
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I have never seen one of those signs but I would welcome the day when they start popping up here.

Do you know why?
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    For most places I just carry concealed and don't worry about it; exceptions being schools and stadiums.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    I believe that the property rights of another person are as important (maybe more) than 2A rights. I will back the owners right to restrict ANY access he chooses. By the same token, I have no compelling interest to trade my property with him for his goods and will walk right by his business and if I have a chance to point out how I would like to shop there, but they dont want my business.

My state has no "legal notification" sinage. It is simply a matter of trespass.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Last Sunday, I believe it was, a shop owner in Helen, GA, a big tourist site, accidently shot himself in the hand. The bullet, after leaving his hand, went across the very busy main street and killed a tourist pedestrian woman. It hit her in the side.

No details on what happened or why the business owner felt it necessary to handle his gun, or what gun it was. He's charged with involuntary homicide. A bad thing all around.

Detractors are already blaming the expanded gun rights laws, GA HB 60, I believe. When it's basically a case of stupid.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    I believe that the property rights of another person are as important (maybe more) than 2A rights. I will back the owners right to restrict ANY access he chooses. By the same token, I have no compelling interest to trade my property with him for his goods and will walk right by his business and if I have a chance to point out how I would like to shop there, but they dont want my business.

My state has no "legal notification" sinage. It is simply a matter of trespass.

Check out the cards on the website that I posted earlier. Unless they KNOW that you wanted to shop but didn't, they'll never know they lost money. I enjoy depriving them of my money, and want them to know it.