Home Main Category Hunting

The 6x45 kills pigs!!!!

2»

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yeah. We know. It makes us sad. However, you can get one from Northwest Precision that's similar if not better, for $57 shipped.

Zee wrote: »
    :that:

We have backups to our backups.

Outstanding.

Google searches how several "Northwest Precision" gun companies. Does thou haveth a link to that which you speak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee, all BS aside, you did good. BUT, I hope this doesn't surprise anyone. A 6mm anything is a good round when properly used by a competent shooter. I have always loved the 6mm family. Also, the 6x47, actually almost the same round built on the slightly longer 222 Rem. Mag case has been around for 40-50 years and is also capable of this kind of performance. The 6x45 may be one of the best AR cartridges in existence. It gives up a little velocity to the .223, but heavier bullets with slightly greater frontal area make this a fine hog gun out to 300 yards. The 6x47 has been used for many years. Both are almost ballistic twins and are great for what they're made for.

One thing I will say, with a cartridge like this, shot placement is probably a bit more important, just like deer or hog hunting with a .222 or .223. All these cartridges in this family are capable of a lot more than has been told by the outdoor media through the years. But again, shot placement is more important. Your shot on this hog hit a vital area. I hit a hog in the butt with my 30-06 and it hit the spine and down he went right where he was. While the spine doesn't offer a real easy shot most of the time, it is still a very sure kill when it's hit.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,361 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Outstanding.

Google searches how several "Northwest Precision" gun companies. Does thou haveth a link to that which you speak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

http://nwpfirearms.com/

i think ink that link will work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    So, lemme get this straight. It was dark, the target was running parallel to you, full speed, at a range of 150-175 yards, and you're griping about your shot placement on a bang-flop kill? :roll:
    I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that.....:tooth:
    So, lemme get this straight. It was dark, the target was running parallel to you, full speed, at a range of 150-175 yards, and you're griping about your shot placement on a bang-flop kill? :roll:
    I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that.....:tooth:

He was boogying along. Not flat out. So, not full speed. Disturbed, but not scared.

:-)
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Oh, well that's different, then. :silly:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,343 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It should. Unless you are on an apple device. Grrrrrrrr.

Apple-Kool-Aid.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,160 Senior Member
    ...and here I am with an entire gun in pieces waiting to get put together. All I got to do is get the brake reamed and installed. Sigh.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    ...and here I am with an entire gun in pieces waiting to get put together. All I got to do is get the brake reamed and installed. Sigh.

Get with it!!!!
    I had all the time in the world earlier this summer but no money. Now I have neither time nor money. The money thing is starting to come back, now hopefully I will have some time too. My "vacation" this last week? I worked every single day!!!
    -Thomas Paine
    Excuses.
    Zee wrote: »
    Excuses.
    I got more where those came from.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,280 Senior Member
    I had all the time in the world earlier this summer but no money. Now I have neither time nor money. The money thing is starting to come back, now hopefully I will have some time too. My "vacation" this last week? I worked every single day!!!

The joy of being self employed, I am embarrased to say I have not been to a range with a bench yet this year, kids have not shot all summer:cuss:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I was at a cabin on a lake with no internet, electricity, and next to no cell service for 5 days. Didn't get any calls that way but my email went nuts because my MiFi was getting 4g clear as day. I had a solar panel, huge battery, and a power inverter keeping me running. Sadly, I have a printer and scanner in the truck to go with the laptop too.

I was sitting at the picnic table writing up estimates and went out and bid one in northern Michigan to save myself the trip back up later on. I finally got a pole in the water Thursday afternoon. Oh well, the wife and kids had fun. I did have some fun doing the cooking on an open fire though.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,280 Senior Member
    I was at a cabin on a lake with no internet, electricity, and next to no cell service for 5 days. Didn't get any calls that way but my email went nuts because my MiFi was getting 4g clear as day. I had a solar panel, huge battery, and a power inverter keeping me running. Sadly, I have a printer and scanner in the truck to go with the laptop too.

I was sitting at the picnic table writing up estimates and went out and bid one in northern Michigan to save myself the trip back up later on. I finally got a pole in the water Thursday afternoon. Oh well, the wife and kids had fun. I did have some fun doing the cooking on an open fire though.

Well that is somewhat acceptable, I did make it to boy scout camp for 3 nights with perfect weather and did a good job of breaking in my new Danner Pronghorns, sadly no fishing in my neighborhood either.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,807 Senior Member
    Excellent report - one of the reasons why I like this place so much. A lot of 'experts' would never ever admit that they lucked out on shot placement. It's good to know that your objectivity has not suffered and you are still learning, despite being miles ahead of most of us. :up:

Don't misunderstand me - it was a heckuva shot to even hit a moving target that size and at that distance at night, something I definitely would not have been confident enough to try. Good job.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I for the life of me can't figure out why this surprises anyone here. This fete was pulled off by an experienced hunter at reasonable range, with a fairly potent cartridge for that range. So it was at night. I shot a hog at 320 yards moving about as Zee described here, it was in daylight, but it was "320 YARDS AWAY and I shot it with my anemic old 270 and it only ran about 15 yards! So this is very doable. Besides, it's almost like he used an Elephant Gun compared to my lackluster anemic .270 Win. right?

:silly: :roll2: :rotflmao: :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,807 Senior Member
    I wasn't surprised - I just gave credit where it was due. It was a shot he knew he could probably make, and because it was a feral hog that is the scourge of Texas, he gambled on shot placement. I have taken a few 'low percentage' shots in my youth, and missed most of them, so I appreciated that he acknowledged the luck factor. Most Texas residents would have taken such a shot on a feral hog, but quite a few of us would have missed it. Hitting the femoral artery was luck, which he acknowledged, and I appreciated getting an accurate account...kind of like you posting about the one you shot in the butt.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,343 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I for the life of me can't figure out why this surprises anyone here. This fete was pulled off by an experienced hunter at reasonable range, with a fairly potent cartridge for that range. So it was at night. I shot a hog at 320 yards moving about as Zee described here, it was in daylight, but it was "320 YARDS AWAY and I shot it with my anemic old 270 and it only ran about 15 yards! So this is very doable. Besides, it's almost like he used an Elephant Gun compared to my lackluster anemic .270 Win. right?

:silly: :roll2: :rotflmao: :tooth:

Hog probably started laughing about being shot with a .270 and died of asphyxia........... :jester:

pig-laughing.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
    Wow, fantastic info! Thanks for sharing. :applause:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Is this cartridge the exact same as the 6mm Old Sarge ?
    It appears to be.
    -Thomas Paine
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Zee, I think you are much better with the knife than the rifle. :) enjoyed the read :)
    Zee, I think you are much better with the knife than the rifle. :)

It would appear so.