Why shoot a person with a knife

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,067 Senior Member

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You're right Gene (this one time) some people just need shot. Anymore the cops get awful Rambo awful quick though, that is the main complaint.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    The picture was on Facebook and the text was it was a cop who thought his size and fighting skills would make up for using deadly force. The knife wielder apparently got around him and sliced and diced. There was nothing said about Getting "Rambo" but assuming he did, whatever that means, getting cut seems to indicate he should have shot the guy instead of trying to disarm him.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The picture was on Facebook and the text was it was a cop who thought his size and fighting skills would make up for using deadly force. The knife wielder apparently got around him and sliced and diced. There was nothing said about Getting "Rambo" but assuming he did, whatever that means, getting cut seems to indicate he should have shot the guy instead of trying to disarm him.

Facebook and written text. It must be true. Facebook, really?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Are you saying the picture was faked? It looks real to me. Looks like the cutting was done by a lefty. Is there anything you see or read to make you think shooting an attacker with a knife is a bad idea?
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    I didn't say anything at first, because although the picture is of a victim of one of the Chinese knife attacks the idea is valid........

Thanks to the recollection of Dan Chamberlain, I knew what to Google........https://hromedia.com/2014/03/02/death-toll-rises-to-33-in-knife-rampage-on-china-train-station/

hromedia-Death-toll-rises-to-33-in-knife-rampage-on-China-train-station-intl.-news2.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Are you saying the picture was faked? It looks real to me. Looks like the cutting was done by a lefty. Is there anything you see or read to make you think shooting an attacker with a knife is a bad idea?

It's Facebook usually one or the other is. This one it seems is the story.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    The picture has been around for quite a few years and was one of several resulting from the same attack.
    I can't remember the original context though. However, it is great example of the damage that can be inflicted with a blade.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,462 Senior Member
    I saw this during that search......... the Chinese have it all figured out! You don't need evil guns to save yourself from a knife attack. You just need a metal pole!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/22-kids-slashed-in-china-elementary-school-knife-attack/

gty_china_knife_attackes_thg_121215_wblog.jpg

I bet the same guy that came up with that idea was the one who thought of this idea..........

Target-Practice.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Because your firearm has run out of bullets?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    I used to have that pic on a laptop many years ago and another showing the CHICOM officer firing his pistol as they held targets. Now that is confidence or probably better yet discipline fearing what would happen might be worse if he refused to allow the officer to shoot at a target he was holding :yikes::yikes:
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I saw this during that search......... the Chinese have it all figured out! You don't need evil guns to save yourself from a knife attack. You just need a metal pole!

I bet the same guy that came up with that idea was the one who thought of this idea..........

Target-Practice.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The backstop on that Chinese picture doesn't look right.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/22-kids-slashed-in-china-elementary-school-knife-attack/

Target-Practice.jpg

Those poles would be more effective if they had a Tazer on the business end and sharpened prods 2" long x 4" spread. Light up those suckers with knives or other non firearms weapons. Repeat as necessary.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

The backstop on that Chinese picture doesn't look right.

Pics I had showed a whole group of target holders on what looked like a basketball court or parking lot. Maybe the building behind is full of prisoners getting re-indoctrinated to be good little Commies or slow learning trainees!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Pics I had showed a whole group of target holders on what looked like a basketball court or parking lot. Maybe the building behind is full of prisoners getting re-indoctrinated to be good little Commies or slow learning trainees!

Looks like a situation where aim small, miss small would be a good idea.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Why not? Or, because he has a knife. Works for me.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Because I want to test my Hornady Criticle Defence ammo. Know about the 21foot rule? :up: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    "Why shoot a person with a knife?"

Man I MUST be slow. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how to shoot a knife. I own at least 8 knifes and not one of them has a trigger OR a hammer, and even if I could find the trigger or the hammer, I have no clue what kind of ammo to feed it.

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    "Why shoot a person with a knife?"

Man I MUST be slow. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how to shoot a knife. I own at least 8 knifes and not one of them has a trigger OR a hammer, and even if I could find the trigger or the hammer, I have no clue what kind of ammo to feed it.

:tooth:

You need one of them knife pistols with a good size blade affixed to it like they had in Pirate days...............stabby shooty pokey thingy :tooth:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    You need one of them knife pistols with a good size blade affixed to it like they had in Pirate days...............stabby shooty pokey thingy :tooth:

There ya go Chief! Why didn't I think of that? :silly: :roll2: :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Didn't know they made those in .22.
    I know you were just poking fun..... BUT....
    http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    The 21ft. knife rule is one I don't need to test to believe.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    "... we'll get you fixed up in no time, just a few stiches here and there, few quarts of O and ...oh yeah, and no hugs from the old lady."
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 310 Member
    Again,

sword-guy-Indy-Jones.jpg
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    There was a question of what a CCW should do, if attacked by an attacker weilding a broken bottle, Massad Ayoob proved a broken bottle is a deadly weapon same as a knife or sword, and a broken bottle is a deadly threat and should be defended against in the manner of any deadlly attack.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • LagoonLagoon New Member Posts: 1 New Member

I bet the same guy that came up with that idea was the one who thought of this kw finder idea..........

Target-Practice.jpg

I saw this before but thought it was a bit unrealistic to expect all cops to walk around with 10 foot poles on them. Don't cops carry tazers these days?
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Lagoon wrote: »
    .............. Don't cops carry tazers these days?

You mean in those days?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Even the Pros know you gotta do what you gotta do when a fool says "I gonna cut you bad!" ...

... 21 feet is closed quickly and if that LEO had not fired (and made distance a couple times) he might not have been the one left standing.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Even the Pros know you gotta do what you gotta do when a fool says "I gonna cut you bad!" ...

... 21 feet is closed quickly and if that LEO had not fired (and made distance a couple times) he might not have been the one left standing.

He waited way too long to shoot. I'd have been a mag deep in that piece of garbage from the second step he took. AND that cop traded a far better backdrop to shoot towards for some personal need to almost get stabbed. He turned and fired in the direction of stopped traffic and pedestrians.

He's alive and the BG isn't, but he waited way way too long to start delivering kill pills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member

Another cop / dirtbag with a knife video.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    Yes we had an in-service class on this. A deputy armed with a rubber knife, 21' away, stabbed every deputy in uniform in the class, before we could react and get our firearm out of it's holster. There is a name for this, but I can't recall it. What it boils down to is unless you have your pistol in your hand, loaded chamber, safety off, and can shoot an attacker with a knife from 21' away, you are screwed.