Rohm RG 66 .22 Magnum

WeiandWeiand New MemberPosts: 17 New Member
Rohm GMBH Sontheim Im/Brz RG 66 Mod. 66 Cal. .22 Magnum
IC 60xxx "G" is stamped behind trigger guard Made in Germany on barrel RG IND. MIAMI FLA. under cylinder
Only has the .22 L.R. cylinder. Finish seems to be either Nickel or Stainless Steel.
I can't seem to find any info on year or production, to say if nickel or stainless or much of anything.
Did fire 6 rounds. Without adjusting the site was about 2 inches high, smooth trigger pull & seemed to fit nicely in hand.
I did find / see that the Rohm's wern't the best thing around, but the RG 66 was a bit better than other models.
Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    My only experience with RGs were the 'Saturday night specials' that could be bought for about 20 bucks, when I was a teenager in the '60's. I've never seen one like that, but if it shoots, it should be a lot of fun.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    I call them ARRGGGGG's! If it works now, it probably won't for long. Shoot it 'til it breaks and don't try to fix it, that's when the name changes to ARRGGGGG!!
    Welcome aboard, hang around for a spell.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Welcome to the best firearms forum on the Internet.

BTW, I fired (and borrowed for awhile) and the old man had a little RG with under a 2" bbl imported before GCA of 68 I reckon, you had to unscrew the cylinder rod and take out the cylinder to load, but it was amazingly accurate fer it's size and cheap cost.

The old man was hitting targets on a range that bystanders were amazed he could with it back in the late 60s. He was an old school point shooter with handguns too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    A .22 caliber RG - 14 was used in the attempted assassination of Reagan March 31, 1981 by John Hinckley in an attempt to impress Jodie Foster.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    I bought a RG .38 Special out of the junk drawer at a LGS along with a butchered-up Webley MK I. both for 50 bucks. The RG shoots fine single action, but the DA timing is off and it misfires 2 or 3 rounds out of 6. My brother uses it as a nightstand gun now, with strict instructions NOT to try shooting DA.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • WeiandWeiand New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    Seems a good guess for the year would be somewhere in the '60's then, which would coincide pretty well with when my grandfather prob got it.