Savage Arms Model 25 Pump Action .22

WeiandWeiand New MemberPosts: 17 New Member
Savage Arms Model 25 Pump Action 22 SL & LR Octagon Barrel

I really can't find much info on this at all.

Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp. Utica NY

Patented
Dec 25 1908 June 1 1915 Mar 28 1916 Apr 11 1916

Serial number 253xx Numbers match in front of trigger, back side of butt plate & inside the butt.

Where the pics show the wrapping, the wood is split there. It had tape on it so after cleaning it wrapped with with that small cord that has a leather strap look.

With the last patent date being 1916 I'm not sure if it was made in 1916 or if that was just the last patent date of that model & it was made later.

Other than the part that is wrapped, it all seems to be in good shape & seems to operate smoothly. Does show a lot of wear, but I'm guessing it is fairly old.

Any info / comments all all that can tell me a bit about it is greatly appreciated.

Was a bit difficult to get a pic of much size showing it all.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    That old gal needs some love....splits and cracks can be pretty easy to repair....and the gun deserves it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Nice old .22! Like Jayhawker said, stock splits and cracks are pretty easy to repair nowadays. After cleaning out the crack/split, a runny epoxy cement and some surgical tubing dusted down on the outside with flour to keep it from sticking to the stock and wrapped tightly around the stock to close the split will fix it stronger than the surrounding wood. Once the epoxy is dry, take off the surgical tubing, clean up any flash, and it's good to go.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Nice .22 rifle!

You might find a proper replacement stock (And other parts) in www-e-gunparts.com, ebay or gunbroker if you can't/don't want to repair the original one. You'll have to unwrap it to assess the real extent of the damage anyway, but if you plan to shoot it and it both holds in place and doesn't bother you, keep it as is.

Check the barrel for condition, potential obstructions, etc.; a good barrel cleaning and moving parts oiling might be need.
    Others can tell you if there are no issues about feeding it with modern high-velocity ammo; it shouldn't, but better be 100% sure about it.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    I've got one with a round barrel. It's a takedown, which is what I assume your is, too. I put an extractor in it and now it works fine. I've also got a Meriden which is just about like it, octagonal barrel, straight stock. I had the barrel relined and it's in top shape now.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • WeiandWeiand New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    It won't be fired. Now that it has all been cleaned up it will have a new home on the rack along with the Winchester once I get the rack finished up. With the numbers matching I'd rather keep the original parts on it. The wrap I put on it keeps it all in place perfectly for hanging on the rack. When I cleaned it, it was pretty clean already.
    I'm just guessing that the production year would be between 1916 & 1929.
    Once the rack is finished and both are hanging on it, it should have a nice look.