Home Main Category Hunting

Dove season starts monday...

gatorgator Senior MemberPosts: 1,746 Senior Member
...and they put the limit back to 15.......whoo hoo...
USMC 80-84
-96 lbs

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Base dove field is loaded with them
    too hot for me.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    It's looking pretty good here, I haven't had a chance to scout my favorite spot so it might be good or not so good.

I guess I will find out Monday morning.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,293 Senior Member
    Yep...lots of doves of all four species around...the only limit is on Mourning Doves...needs to cool down some before I venture out though....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Archery deer starts for me on the 6th. Sadly, this keeps me from being able to get wound up about less than a week of dove. Rifle deer has pretty much wiped out quail hunting for me. Too many overlapping seasons!:silly:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ...needs to cool down some before I venture out though....

That don't happen here till quail season..........in October......then it will still be in the high 80s to low 90s......mornings will be nice though.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Archery deer starts for me on the 6th. Sadly, this keeps me from being able to get wound up about less than a week of dove. Rifle deer has pretty much wiped out quail hunting for me. Too many overlapping seasons!:silly:

Oh to have such a dilemma....
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Well, opening morning was a bust.

I was on duty till 6:00 so I got a bit of a late start, Shortly after the end of duty I headed out to my favorite fly way to find the place over run with out of state hunters.

I drive the mule to another place that is usually pretty good and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a California hunter...

So I drive around till I find a spot where I think some dove might fly by.....load up the 870 and wait, within a few minutes it starts to sound like the civil war all over again....there must have been fifty hunters across the way and from the sound of all the shooting the dove must be thick.

I figure some of the birds will swing my way and sure enough here comes one right at me......bang...one down fourteen to go........another one from right to left........bang.....two down......alright,now we're cooking with gas...

Next fifteen minutes not one single bird within range.........ok...lets move to another spot.......drive down to the corner of a cotton field and wow look at all the dove......so I park a couple hundred yards from the corner, get my gun ready and start to walk back when two pickups pull up and park right on the corner.....ah, come on guys this is my spot......well, four guys get out and stand around the trucks shotguns in hand.

Disgusted, I decided to come home, I'll try one of my old places, about eight or ten miles out in the desert, this afternoon.

On a good note......I did shoot 100%

Almost forgot, I absolutely love this new 870 super mag.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Besides the heat and humidity, the issue you had is why I did not go.

I did hear shooting off in the distance.
    That's how I cook them.
    I need a few more to have supper tonight.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    We get a mess of them at the school when we overseed with rye grass in the fall.
    Made the mistake of telling my boss that I was thinking about bringing my pellet rifle and sit behind the shop.....he said no.

Should have kept my big mouth shut.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Most of these are the collared dove that have no season and no limit.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Monday afternoon was a much better hunt, I left the house somewhat early to be sure and get my favorite spot. When I got to the stand of trees that the dove roost in there was only one other vehicle there and it was a local and his son.

We stood around and talked in the 106 degree heat and waited for the birds to come in from the fields.

Shortly before six a few started to fly in......not bad, but not great either. Then shortly before seven....holy cow....here they come in droves...ten to fifteen at a time, darting in and out, back and forth, to and fro, as soon as I would get a bead on one another would cut between and draw my eye away from the first.

This went on every five minutes or so for forty five min until sundown, it was the most fun dove hunting I've had in twenty years.

Didn't get my limit but I did get ten, and plan to go back a couple more times this week.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I haven't seen flights like you are describing in years. I am very jealous. I did scout one pond last night that looks promising. I just have to talk to the land owner again and verify that I still have permission to hunt it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • johnnyazjohnnyaz New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Hello All, Just got approved for the site...Doves all over in Buckeye, limited in 30 minutes even with all the hunters surrounding the corn field, going out to Maricopa where I live and
    hit the spots I scouted, tons of collards there too!
    108 today, but you don't hunt in the middle of the day, dusk and dawn is when to go...90ish:)
    Tried the taco recipe from KILLERCHEF, google it there's a excellent video, it's the Texas hunt,
    don't remember the time but awesome dove carnitas and easy too, if you are tired of the bacon wrap.....
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 675 Senior Member
    I'm glad some of you all had a good hunt. Was in field at the 12:00 season opener here in Tennessee stayed until 8 burnt up. Had a good time with my dad birds just didn't cooperate we go 4 so in the freezer till can get a few more
    Hey johnnyaz good to see another zonie on the site.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Back at ya gator! was expecting to see a few more zonie posters when I saw your Dove season "whoo hoo"...love the limit size,
    azgfd must have really did their homework 'cause me and and my huntin bud noticed the increase in birdies too! glad you had at
    decent turn out, they are definitly out there, glad you like your 870! I just picked up a Winchester 1400 20g to compliment my
    1400 MKII 12g skeet, they both aren't loved guns I know, but never had any issues with the MKII and the 20! "whoo hoo"! 15 in
    30 min's! no issues from a "used" gun, going after work to hit the fields, good luck to you this 1st season bud!
    Went out this evening.... 3 Mourning Doves...not even a good sandwich...the dog, however, did a great job and didn't eat a single bird...
    I forgot we had our monthly meeting at the fire house tonight (first Tuesday of each month) so no birds tonight.

No birds tomorrow either because we have our EMS continuing education class.

But Thursday evening those birds better look out...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Jayhawker, wish my dog didn't love doves so much, had to give him the first one due to hamburger meat syndrome,
    it satisfied him for awhile, but had to give up 2 more towards the end of hunt, guess he was expecting the 5 for me 1 for him
    thing, lol...
    An old hunting buddy of mine used to say,

"The only thing worse than a claimer, is a claimer with a dog"
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Finally off work and am sitting here waiting on the evening flight. ..

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    40 mph winds this evening...hard enough to hit the little buggers without the afterburner....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    gator -

Did the same up in Ohio. This state has an interesting regulation where you cannot hunt before 12PM for the first two weeks of the season. I thought it weird, but then realize it made for some excellent hunting after work. I'm used to the opener being the only good day, but today was pretty decent with 7 birds brought down. They were flying high and clearly educated to the gun, but were huntable and we had a lot of fun. Only 3 other people in the field beside me and my hunting partner, including a guy and his sister. I found everyone out tonight to be really cool and personable, which really added to the experience. Nobody expected much and we were pleasantly surprised at how good it actually turned out.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    40 mph winds this evening...hard enough to hit the little buggers without the afterburner....
    Started out ok but soon turned sour, storm rolled in and the wind picked up.

I hit two of the first three I shot at then everything went south from there.

Oh well, it was still fun.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Six-Gun,
    Sounds like a real nice time.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    gator -

Did the same up in Ohio. This state has an interesting regulation where you cannot hunt before 12PM for the first two weeks of the season. I thought it weird,

Here's something you might find interesting, Luis. I can't speak to the Ohio law (two weeks does seem excessive), but in Louisiana you can't hunt dove before 12PM on opening day. The reason being..................

Traditionally, dove hunting in Louisiana is more a social affair than a real hunt. It's considered an "appetizer" for the upcoming duck and big game seasons. So....not much getting up at dawn to stalk the wiley mourning dove. It just isn't taken that seriously. But.....it's a great time to have a bunch of friends get together to cook up a huge lunch of BBQ and jambalaya, then take off for an afternoon of dove shooting.

Well...........Never put it past a politician to spot a stumping opportunity. Since dove season is a mere two months before most November elections, what better way to show you're one of the folks than to show up at a dove luncheon with shotgun in hand. Of course, mission creep developed, and the traditional pre-dovehunt lunches became in large part, one of the best venues for a prospective politico to rub elbows with constituents that would otherwise be a bit tougher to gather together and address (or exhort, depending on how you look at it).

In Louisiana, politically connected dove lunches/hunts are big business now. If you're male and running for practically any office other than dog catcher, you better host, or at least attend, a pre-hunt lunch.

In the mid nineties, there was a valiant effort by hunters across the state to do away with the "pre noon" hunting ban. Even the DOW opined there was no viable conservation reason for the bans existence. The bill died a quick death in record time by such a lop-sided margin that I don't think there's been another effort to repeal it since.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    gator -

Did the same up in Ohio. This state has an interesting regulation where you cannot hunt before 12PM for the first two weeks of the season. I thought it weird, but then realize it made for some excellent hunting after work. I'm used to the opener being the only good day, but today was pretty decent with 7 birds brought down. They were flying high and clearly educated to the gun, but were huntable and we had a lot of fun. Only 3 other people in the field beside me and my hunting partner, including a guy and his sister. I found everyone out tonight to be really cool and personable, which really added to the experience. Nobody expected much and we were pleasantly surprised at how good it actually turned out.

Not much on God's green earth as much fun as shooting dove.- When I was a kid I got in on some really great dove hunts. Haven't really been though in the last 15 years. i don't really like to hunt them around trees because they can see you walking up on them before you can see them to shoot and they'll keep flying from tree to tree staying out of range. I really loved to shoot them out in the fields standing behind a canal levee waiting for them to fly over. This was really productive if you stayed ready. They would be on top of you before you knew it coming like F-18s on after burner. Before they got really strict with the limits back in the 60s it was nothing to go out and get 20-30 birds in an afternoon and be back home with them all cleaned well before dark. Now THAT was fun.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    For several years Az. had morning only dove hunting.

I think that all the out of state hunters really took their toll.

In the 80's thousands of Californians would come in and put a hurtin on the dove population.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs