Home Main Category Hunting

Dove season starts monday...

2»

Replies

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Not much on God's green earth as much fun as shooting dove.

Absolutely, Mike

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Here's something you might find interesting, Luis. I can't speak to the Ohio law (two weeks does seem excessive), but in Louisiana you can't hunt dove before 12PM on opening day. The reason being..................

Traditionally, dove hunting in Louisiana is more a social affair than a real hunt. It's considered an "appetizer" for the upcoming duck and big game seasons. So....not much getting up at dawn to stalk the wiley mourning dove. It just isn't taken that seriously. But.....it's a great time to have a bunch of friends get together to cook up a huge lunch of BBQ and jambalaya, then take off for an afternoon of dove shooting.

Well...........Never put it past a politician to spot a stumping opportunity. Since dove season is a mere two months before most November elections, what better way to show you're one of the folks than to show up at a dove luncheon with shotgun in hand. Of course, mission creep developed, and the traditional pre-dovehunt lunches became in large part, one of the best venues for a prospective politico to rub elbows with constituents that would otherwise be a bit tougher to gather together and address (or exhort, depending on how you look at it).

In Louisiana, politically connected dove lunches/hunts are big business now. If you're male and running for practically any office other than dog catcher, you better host, or at least attend, a pre-hunt lunch.

In the mid nineties, there was a valiant effort by hunters across the state to do away with the "pre noon" hunting ban. Even the DOW opined there was no viable conservation reason for the bans existence. The bill died a quick death in record time by such a lop-sided margin that I don't think there's been another effort to repeal it since.

Mike

That's an impressive piece of history and political info, Mike. Never in my wildest dreams would I think the reason behind such a ban to be politically driven, but anything is possible, I guess, particularly when the people driving the law have a vested interest.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    40 mph winds this evening...hard enough to hit the little buggers without the afterburner....

Yes, it is. I have had my fair share of hunting run-ins with the open lanscape, Midwest wind during my time hunting pheasants in western Nebraska. One day, a friend and I were hunting over his dogs in an extremely stiff wind like you described. We were in psuedo-late season conditions resulting in scattered pockets of birds well away from the roads.

After a long walk in to a likely spot, a group of roosters finally flushed (for no explicable reason) crossing perpendicular to our walking path into, rather than with, the wind. The closest bird to me looked like an absolute, slam dunk kill. He was beating his wings to virtually no avail, hovering nearly still in front of me less than 20 yards away. I pulled up, aimed center mass at the all but stationary target, fired and watched in disbelief as my shot clipped the tips of his tail feathers square off. In an instant, I realized the wind was so danged strong, it was sailing my shot payload as if the bird was actually making forward progress and I failed to lead him. I fired again, this time about 10 inches in front of him and he folded hard. Let that be a lesson about the effect of wind drift on birdshot!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Weather looks much better thjs afternoon........think I'll go try it again.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Oh quit bragging
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13