Lead - to Mess with Zed's Head

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 7,045 Senior Member
We'll start him off slow. . .I ordered these up from Montana Bullet Works to test prior to ordering the mold - LBT 230 grain LFN's for the .45 auto.

I've been trying to find the ideal combo of feeding plus big meplat. This one is the latest contender - lots of weight forward to increase capacity. .33 caliber nose.
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,627 Senior Member
    They look good to me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    I'm using a hard cast 250 grain truncated cone bullet intended for a .45 Colt as a bear-stopper load for a friend's 1911. He hunts black bear in the north Georgia mountains with a flintlock and carries a 1911 as a S H T F backup. It feeds and shoots very nicely in both my 1911's and my AMT Backup.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Jerry's friend is also my friend, and I'm responsible for his carrying the 1911 as a back-up weapon in bear hunting, and it already HAS paid off! I had a new Springfield 1911, but it was too large for my hands even though the Navy issued me one that I carried for 2 years. Thirteen days after I traded "our" friend the 1911, he shot a bear at 65 yards, quartering shot, with a muzzleloader, wounding the bear which immediately charged him! He shot the bear with the 1911 I had traded him, hitting the bear 7 times and killing it at his feet! This is the same friend that was with me when I shot the bear up the tree with my Hershel House .50cal flintlock, breaking the flint on the first shot! Things got kinda "kinky" after that :tooth: But it was fun and Exciting! Ain't doing it again, however!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    A few more. . .

Left to right:

.38 S&W with NOE 200 grain for Webley MKVI

.357 with NOE clone of Elmer Keith's 358429 173 grainer, seated over the front driving band for cylinder clearance. (I'm probably going to be loading this one as a +P+ .38 Special to work around this little quirk.)

.44 Mag with NOE clone of Elmer's 429421 - about 255 grains out of the current batch of alloy.

.455 Webley with either a 265 grain hollow base RCBS clone of the original slug, or out of the MP Molds 4-cavity version I bought to end the single-cavity slowness of the RCBS.

I'll post up some pics of some naked slugs over the next few days to give Zedrick something new to chew on.

MMMMWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    WWJMBD?

Some rifle slugs to get Zed's gears grinding:

L to R:
    .22 NOE 70 grain RN (Gas check yet to be installed)
    .308 NOE 218 grain RN
    .458 NOE 405 grain flat point (This is the ultimate harbinger of the Milk Jug Holocaust)
    A couple LEE .458 M1873 Government 405 grain hollow-bases
    BARCO .458 M1884 Government 500 grain
    RCBS .458 500 grain Black Powder Silhouette

And some pistol stuff:

NOE .452 200 grain SWC
    NOE .452 200 grain RNFP
    Accurate Molds .45-230F .30 meplat
    LBT .452 230 LFN .33 meplat
    NOE clone of Elmer Keith's 452423 - 243 grains, workable in the ACP, and a great light/medium .45AR, Colt, or Casull bullet with a .34" meplat.
    .455 Webley MKII 265 grain RNHB

Unfortunately, we didn't have any RCBS .45 270 grain SAA's cast up. Best I can make out, it's a heavy version of Elmer's 255 grain 452424. That one's an imposing beast to see peeking out the front of the cylinder.
    WWJMBD?

Got some of the LBT's loaded up. They're more impressive to look at when they have brass behind them

This is a CLEVER bullet design. Seated for max length in a 1911 mag, the ogive taper begins just in front of the case, nicely reducing the chance of it hanging up on a tight throat. . . yet it still manages to put A LOT of it's weight outside the case, giving lots of case capacity to those that want to load them toasty. Feeds in a GI gun with GI mags with only minimal nose deformation on the ramp. Looks like I'll probably be buyin' another mold. . .:roll:

How's your steely resolve doin' Zee?:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

Thems purty. But, I'm an oak and shall not be moved.

Must............resist.
    cpj wrote: »
    ORLY?

Yes.

I think.
    Besides, I don't need to cast my own. I just need to stay sweet on you and JBOhio.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    Walk towards the light.

93bc0200-0331-42a9-8a1d-7c1bab97624a_zps321e403c.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Zee wrote: »
    Besides, I don't need to cast my own. I just need to stay sweet on you and JBOhio.

Yeah, I might submit the odd teaser, however. . .Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.:tooth:

You've already learned with handloading that you gain certain advantages in being able to control all the variables. You get even more of that when you're casting. I'll be the first to say that this can be a bit of a double-edged sword - especially in your early learning stages (Chill - you've got us). The plus side is that you learn a HELL of a lot about internal ballistics and the inner workings of your guns when you start measuring all the stuff you never gave a second thought to in order to maximize the gun's performance. For example, my recent project of learning what it takes to feed monster meplats through 1911's has given me a much greater understanding of how that pistol eats its meals than I ever would have gained with factory slugs.

Then there's just the REALLY FREAKIN' COOL aspect of playing with molten metal! For a guy that cuddles with snakes, that should be no big deal.
    WWJMBD?

Time, space, or the lack thereof...............that..........is the kicker.