Sight paint recommendations?

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,236 Senior Member
Have several handguns that I need to paint the front sight on. Can't see black on black anymore. Did a quick search and saw a few couple claim to glow like a night sight. Anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,890 Senior Member
    could you have gold beads installed ?
    I really like them
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I use Testors model's paint. It does wear off, but it's quick and easy to slap some more on.

Get some good white of some kind and a good fine tipped artists brush and paint a red ramp and white outlined on it. I like white outlining the rear sight and painting the rear part of the front sight white. But that's just me cause I'm partially color blind and If you pain the front sight a dark shade, I won't see it. I need white or yellow or something that really shows up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,472 Senior Member
    I painted the sights on my 22 /45 with Testors in 2011 and it is still holding up. I applied it with a toothpick.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,521 Senior Member
    You're gonna laugh, but, White Out. Works great. Holds up great. I've been using it on my shotgun front sights for years.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I got a tube of neon orange acrylic craft paint from Megalomart. Works great when touched on the sight blade with a toothpick.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,381 Senior Member
    I like Testors. The glow in the dark paint has to be charged with a flashlight before it glows. Each and every time. And the glow wears off. Also, it's more likely to flake off in my experience.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,710 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    You're gonna laugh, but, White Out. Works great. .

Don't know why I never thought about it, should be fine, mostly use Testors.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    You're gonna laugh, but, White Out. Works great. Holds up great. I've been using it on my shotgun front sights for years.

Thats what I am using now. It holds up pretty well actually and is easy to re-apply. Just wanting to try something more permanent.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,365 Senior Member
    Boy, you'se guys don't get out much, do ya?! :tooth:
    Degrease front and rear sights with rubbin' alcohol.
    White enamel for base coat.

Here's the fun part. Go to Wally World and scope out the fingernail polish section. Every color you could possibly imagine, and some that even glow in the dark after exposure to light. And neon colors. And any bottle of the stuff will do thousands of sights.

Front sight is easy; just use a very small tip artist's brush (from Wally World crafts section) to paint the top of front sight.
    You can do the rear with a couple of dots that contrast with the front sight color. Just use a round toothpick with the sharp point cut off to make the dot with white enamel, and use the same one to put on the nail polish dot over the white dot.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,052 Senior Member
    No, those little bottles of acrylic model paint at WW work just as well.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    :tooth: It's unanimous. All the smart people in the forum use fingernail polish :cool2:

:up: And fingernail polish is the toughest and easiest stuff to use to paint fishing lures. And easily thinned for spray painting. And it's cheaper than the stuff marketed for painting lures.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply's guys. Went to Walmart and got some $1.98 nail polish.
    The check out lady looks at me and say is this really yours? I said yep, don't even ask!
    Looks good. :up:

sights.jpg
    twa wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply's guys. Went to Walmart and got some $1.98 nail polish.
    The check out lady looks at me and say is this really yours? I said yep, don't even ask!
    Looks good. :up:

sights.jpg

:up: Looks good!

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member

JB beat me to it. I agree with everything he said, and nave been using it for years. It works especially good on my muzzleloaders. Keep yer powder dry........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO