Who hunts small game?

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,706 Senior Member
While everyone is gearing up for big game, (myself included) I'm also fired up for bunnies and squirrels. We have a lot of both on the lease and once the deer-gun season opens, I don't like to do so much shooting on the property. Bow season opens this weekend and since I don't bow hunt, I'll be going out for little furry stuff and I always carry something for the occasional hog also. I have a lot of fond memories about hunting small game in my youth growing up in Wisconsin. In fact, when I was in high school some friends and I used to skip out of school to go rabbit hunting and if I brought a few bunnies home, my parents would overlook the fact that I skipped out of school. We planted the food plots two weeks ago and last weekend my buddy went up to set out cameras and said that the plantings are already a couple of inches high. That means that the bunnies will be out in force at dusk. I plan on doing a lot of hiking with a .22 this weekend to fill a game vest with furry stuff and also to do a good bit of scouting for the upcomming deer season. I've hunted on this lease in the past as a guest but I finally got into the club. In the past there were no openings and having a wife that spent money like a drunk sailor, I couldn't afford it anyway. The "get rid of wife" process was completed a few weeks ago and an opening had come up on the lease. I'm giddy with excitement, really.
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    Yep, sure do. I haven't hunted squirrels in years, bow hunting kinda nixes that. Although, I will launch an arrow at a tree rat that'll hold still long enough.
    I love me some bunny hunting. I like it after the snow starts flying, good and cold.

Congrats on the divorce, and the lease. Sounds like good times are ahead.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,698 Senior Member
    Some of the best fun I've had in life was squirrel and rabbit hunting. It's a pure form of hunting, especially with a .22, and, truthfully, it gives me more pleasure than executing a whitetail that is unlucky enough to wander into my kill zone. I do like shooting whitetails, and I like eating them, but they cannot really be successfully stalked in my part of the world, so the small game fills that niche for me.
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    I agree with you 100%. Big game hunting has its place, but outsmarting a squirrel or rabbit, and even the occasional coyote, is a real blast. Especially with a good .22.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    That would be me----deer are just an incidental tgt species.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    Do javelina and pigs count? Not much squirrel hunting where I live...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,919 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    While everyone is gearing up for big game, (myself included) I'm also fired up for bunnies and squirrels. We have a lot of both on the lease and once the deer-gun season opens, I don't like to do so much shooting on the property. Bow season opens this weekend and since I don't bow hunt, I'll be going out for little furry stuff and I always carry something for the occasional hog also. I have a lot of fond memories about hunting small game in my youth growing up in Wisconsin. In fact, when I was in high school some friends and I used to skip out of school to go rabbit hunting and if I brought a few bunnies home, my parents would overlook the fact that I skipped out of school. We planted the food plots two weeks ago and last weekend my buddy went up to set out cameras and said that the plantings are already a couple of inches high. That means that the bunnies will be out in force at dusk. I plan on doing a lot of hiking with a .22 this weekend to fill a game vest with furry stuff and also to do a good bit of scouting for the upcomming deer season. I've hunted on this lease in the past as a guest but I finally got into the club. In the past there were no openings and having a wife that spent money like a drunk sailor, I couldn't afford it anyway. The "get rid of wife" process was completed a few weeks ago and an opening had come up on the lease. I'm giddy with excitement, really.

Around here when I was a kid, farmers didn't mind us driving around their fields at nigth spot lighting bunnies. And cotton tails are excellent to eat. Fried rabbit is a delicacy for sure. And young squirrel is even better. My first late father in law and I used to do lots of rabbit and squirrel hunting on his farm about a mile south of Boonville MO. across I-70 from town out toward Billingsville on the road to Tipton. I loved it up there and the place was crawling with cotton tails and big fox squirrels. Also lots of quail. Some of the best hunting i ever did was right there back in the 70s and 80s. I'm from Texas, but that place right there is God's country for sure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    My brother has 4 beagles running now. This will be the 3 pups 2nd year, and he says they are running much better (pretty much just followed momma around last year). I need to get out with him more this year. I am actually getting rid of my 8# turkey gun for a 5# 20ga just for bunnies......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    Looking to head out this weekend to do some pest destruction. Rabbits, possums, rats and wild cats. Most of it will be done off the quad with spotlights and suppressed .22's.
    Due to the balloted hunting finishing up a couple of weeks back I now have some free time. Havent been on to a couple of properties for 8-10mths, and as its halfway through our spring, there will be plenty of furry critturs around I am picking.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Yup I love me some bunny hunting (and eating). I actually keep a .22lr/mag revolver (and mag cyl) and ammo in my hunting pack incase I either end up stranded somewhere and need it or if I'm just not seeing diddly and deside to take it out on the furrys. One way or the other I'm comin home with some dinner!

Once I tag out on the big stuff I'll spend the rest of the season trying to fill that spare turkey tag (you can shoot them with rifles in the fall) and getting bunnys.

ETA: orchidman you suck :P even if I had my tax stamp you still can't use suppressors a field or forrest. Not sure if that counts for non game but I'm not gonna push my luck anyway.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    Also lots of quail. Some of the best hunting i ever did was right there back in the 70s and 80s. I'm from Texas, but that place right there is God's country for sure.

I lived outside of Fort Worth for a little over seven years back in the 80's and early 90's and I really miss the quail hunting. A friend of mine's grandfather had a section of land just west of Abeline that had several large stock tanks and was covered with quail. There was one weekend a year where dove, duck, and quail seasons overlapped and we would drive out there and camp and shoot birds all weekend. We would call in mallards and pintails at first light, then shoot doves that were comming to water after we limited on ducks, then after we went back to camp for breakfast we would walk the fields for quail. After eating and plinking all day, we would hunt doves again in the evening. It was always a magical weekend.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    My brother has 4 beagles running now. This will be the 3 pups 2nd year, and he says they are running much better (pretty much just followed momma around last year). I need to get out with him more this year. I am actually getting rid of my 8# turkey gun for a 5# 20ga just for bunnies......

Beagle make it too easy. A well trained beagle takes all the work out of rabbit hunting. When I was in high school, I had a history teacher that was really cool and he raised beagles as a hobby. After my junior year he had a heart attack and a friend of mine and I used to drive out to his house a couple of times a week to run his dogs for him. Those things were both amazing and agravating. Once they got a scent, they would run a rabbit by you so close that you could almost kick them. The agravating part was when you wanted to kennel them up to leave. If they weren't ready to quit, it was heck trying to get a leash on them.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Squirrel hunt using a .32cal flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle. My goal is to bust 12 squirrels, the daily limit, with all head shots.....haven't done that yet! Did kill one young boar hog, 100-110 lbs with a double lung shot, 29gr 3f with a patched round ball weighing the same as a .22LR. Double lung 'em and they won't go 75 yards!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Beagle make it too easy. A well trained beagle takes all the work out of rabbit hunting. When I was in high school, I had a history teacher that was really cool and he raised beagles as a hobby. After my junior year he had a heart attack and a friend of mine and I used to drive out to his house a couple of times a week to run his dogs for him. Those things were both amazing and agravating. Once they got a scent, they would run a rabbit by you so close that you could almost kick them. The agravating part was when you wanted to kennel them up to leave. If they weren't ready to quit, it was heck trying to get a leash on them.

If you even want to see a rabbit around here, you need dogs. Between the coyotes and hawks, the population is not booming. I see more rabbits in town than in the woods. Before he had dogs we would get six or so guys together and do drives. Seeing three rabbits was a very good day.......

The other problem is multi-flower rose bushes. They have taken over everything and the survivng rabbits live right in the middle of the biggest nastiest patch in the area. Even with brush buster overalls I come home looking like I lost a fight with 10 feral cats.....

When he calls his dogs, they come back........ running!

s7_660089_999_02?rgn=0,0,741,2000&scl=5.2631578947368425&fmt=jpeg&id=3KlQz4NOLDPjHjfhznm-ek
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I love to squirrel hunt in old river and the season starts the last week end in October. Mornings are cooler here then and I love walking through the woods hunting those gray squirrels (little gray ghosts) we have have here. It also, allows me time to see deer sign and figure out what they are eating and where they are going and how their patterns are setting up for the year. Due to different acorn crop products, deer adjust here to different food sources in the woods and I get to see what they are eating on.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I used to raise beagles, I had 5 at one time. Did a little rabbit hunting but not too much, only ever killed a hand full of rabbits with them, but it sure was fun to do.

When I was real young I had a white Collie/Shepard mix that was a squirrel hunting machine. If there was a squirrel within half a mile he'd find it and tree it. Killed many squirrels with that dog.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Hoping to hook up with Caleb a few times this winter and go knock off some wabbits and any squirrels that might present themselves! Never really "hunted" small game before, shot a few rabbits as a kid but it was more of a "hey look a rabbit! shoot it!"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,808 Senior Member
    I love small game. Grew up shooting cottontails and squirrels in S. Texas. Moved to Cali and continued to hunt cottontails, jackrabbits, and tree rats. Now in Idaho, the only small game mammal is snowshoe hares. Those things are a female dog to hunt in winter.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand