Crossbow hunting

HondoHondo MemberPosts: 320 Member
I am in Florida and crossbows are now legal during archery season. Any recommendations on a crossbow for deer/hog? I want very good accuracy and at least 300 fps from the bolt.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,386 Senior Member
    I have a Horton Ultra-Light that I have personally clocked doing nearly 330 fps with a 100gr. field point. You can expect the same performance from a broadhead in the factory arrow configuration.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Nice! I want to get a crossbow. There is a deer unit just South of Denver that is near the city that has rifle tags but you can't use a rifle there, you CAN use bow/smoke poles, and I know you can use crossbows during rifle season here.

As well, Wyoming allows crossbows in archery, as does Alabama I believe. Now we can add FL to that list! Time to get one and make some arrangements with some forum buddies :beer:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Just to clarify, FL allows crossbows during archery season on PRIVATE land. Not on state management areas.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • U TU T Member Posts: 405 Member
    There is also a crossbow permit for disabled hunters unable to pull 40 lb bow, with signed statement from a Doctor. Got a friend down in Florida with bad rotator cuff that had to give up his bow, because he couldn't draw it, he and bought a crossbow.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Just to clarify, FL allows crossbows during archery season on PRIVATE land. Not on state management areas.

Luis

bummer :(
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    GA allows the use of a crossbow during archery season and any other season.

I want a decent crossbow myself, am partial to the Excalibur line. Ibex or larger.
  • ritchey sr.ritchey sr. New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    I have a Horton crossbow that is very accurate and has more than enough energy to harvest a deer. I had to give up my compound because of a shoulder injury.
  • U TU T Member Posts: 405 Member
    I've been strugling with the idea of possibly having to make the switch from compound bow to a crossbow. I hurt my shoulder last year, but it wasn't too bad, but this year has been very painful at times at full draw. If I have to start hunting wiht a crossbow, at least I can still hunt the whole archery season, like I've always done. You don't have to be disabled to use a crossbow in Ohio.