Had A Great Hunt Bear Hunt With My Friends

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
Well, I did not see a bear worth taking. Saw a 120 pound class bear but to little to take. Here are some pictures of my friends and their bears and a picture of me at the end of the hunt. We had a ball camping out and glassing for bear as we were hunting some really tough country. No baiting in Arizona for bear, it was spot and stalk and I went down to holes in my belt during the last 12 days.

a8373a55.jpg

98bbe29a.jpg

78809e4d.jpg

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    My goodness, that looks so beautiful out there. I passed through some of the high country forest in AZ on the way to Las Vegas and, man, did I wish I could hunt it! Congrats to you for a great time with friends in that lovely land.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Yes, it is such beautiful country indeed.

78648c07.jpg

b472f8ba.jpg

4e1978f6.jpg

27028c62.jpg

7281bf3e.jpg

10112ee0.jpg
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Beautiful!! Yeah, having fun with friends is the primary objective always!! Bagging something is just icing on the cake.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,002 Senior Member
    Great trip anyway, hey.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Great trip anyway, hey.

Yes NN, it really was a ball, can't wait to go back in November with Jordan my grandson for his first time bear hunting.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,964 Senior Member
    Well, I did not see a bear worth taking. Saw a 120 pound class bear but to little to take. Here are some pictures of my friends and their bears and a picture of me at the end of the hunt. We had a ball camping out and glassing for bear as we were hunting some really tough country. No baiting in Arizona for bear, it was spot and stalk and I went down to holes in my belt during the last 12 days.

a8373a55.jpg

98bbe29a.jpg

78809e4d.jpg

Wow Mike! I was just on the phone with Deadeye yesterday and he asked me if you were bear hunting. I should have known. I told him it was that time of year and maybe that's where you were. Sorry you didn't score a big bear but you're right, the outing is worth it. beats sitting home and especially it beats working. But I bet somebody let the cat out of the bag and told the bears you were coming. So the big smart ones made haste for cover, hence you didn't see 'em. Hahaha! Well better luck next time. Since you didn't use that .358, you might as well box it up and send it to me. :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    That first bear is a stud! Nice place.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    snake284 wrote: »
    Wow Mike! I was just on the phone with Deadeye yesterday and he asked me if you were bear hunting. I should have known. I told him it was that time of year and maybe that's where you were. Sorry you didn't score a big bear but you're right, the outing is worth it. beats sitting home and especially it beats working. But I bet somebody let the cat out of the bag and told the bears you were coming. So the big smart ones made haste for cover, hence you didn't see 'em. Hahaha! Well better luck next time. Since you didn't use that .358, you might as well box it up and send it to me. :rotflmao:

I will be using it in November when Jordan and I go for a four day bear hunt in that same area so I can't box up the 358Win and send it to you and I know you understand. :beer: :cool::jester:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    That first bear is a stud! Nice place.

Yes, both Mickey and I were up that mountain trying to get him before he went over the top onto the other side and all of a sudden he turn and went straight for where Mickey was. That was an exciting moment, really cool day when Mickey got that one. Yes it is a nice place indeed.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,393 Senior Member
    Bear or not, it looks like you had a great time. The scenery alone looks worth it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,964 Senior Member
    I will be using it in November when Jordan and I go for a four day bear hunt in that same area so I can't box up the 358Win and send it to you and I know you understand. :beer: :cool::jester:

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait. Actually, some day I will have one for real. Either that or a 35 Whelen. Or maybe a .358 Norma. That would be nice. I do want to buy a couple more of those Savage magnums off Gun Broker. The seller told me he will be putting several more up for sale soon. He was at the Nevada Air Show when that P-51 crash during the race about three weeks back. I hope he didn't get hurt. Anyway, I am getting along with the Yugo builds and I only have one more to build. Also I have two more actions to barrel besides those, a Zastava Commercial Mauser and a Ruger 77. The Ruger was my first choice to rebarrel to 35 Whelen. Then I was thinking the Zastava. I'm not sure what I'll do. But it's a nice situation to find yourself in, an abundance of actions for projects. If I get two more Savage magnum rifles off Gun Broker, I will rebarrel one to some form of .300 Mag. and another into either a 338 Win mag or a 358 Norma Mag. Either would be nice. Anyway I'm still here waiting, if you decide to box up that .358 and send it my way, LOLOLOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Bear or not, it looks like you had a great time. The scenery alone looks worth it.

I really did have a good time and it is a great place. I do love to hunt in those mountains. The camping out was a ball and we had great food and the evenings sitting around a fire sharing stories and talking about our day of hunting will leave me with many fond memories.

Yes, I really enjoyed my hunt and I like the fair hunt also (Spot and Stalk). I have killed a bear on one of my earlier trips out there, but I worked for it and it was a lot of fun "THE HUNT" which many seem today to be about only one thing, and that is bagging game. I was invited to go to a hunt on an exotic game ranch where they are fenced in. Now just imagine my response since I have been to Africa where there were no fences or feeding stations for the game to come to so you could sit and wait to shoot the one you wanted. That is right, I told them that was not hunting and I did not want any part of it.

Can you imagine a trophy on your wall and someone ask you how the hunt went and if you are honest, you have to tell them, I shot this Eland inside a fenced in area on a special exotic ranch and they took me to the spot where the Eland hung out so I could step out of the vehicle and sit for a while looking over the one I wanted to shoot? Then the guy looks at you and says, I got mine on a three day camping safari and walked a total of 25 miles in those three days to get mine.

I love it out west, when I hunt mule deer, coues deer, elk and black bear, because it is spot and stalk hunting and they are not standing at some feeder on on some food plot. Even down here in Mississippi I hunt public land and do not sit over food plots, I actually scout out the woods in preseason and do not hunt over some man made and arranged food plot. I belonged to a lease some years ago and got so bored that I refused to hunt the food plots or near any feeder that was set up on the property. By the way, I killed big bucks when I began to hunt the thickets and the woods. Just my opinion and my preference to make it a hunt and not just a shoot to bag game. If someone likes to hunt near feeders or over food plots that is ok for them, just not for me anymore. Oh, I average two deer a year hear in South Mississippi hunting as I do.