Your hunting/survival pack

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,610 Senior Member
I'm courious as to what you carry in your pack, since i'm older and have medical problems i probably carry more then most of you. Here's my list,

Extra compass
Fire starter
50 water proof matches
3 Bic lighters
Topo maps
50' para cord
6" fixed blade knife
8" folding saw
L.E.D. headlite
"D" cell strobe lite
2 - 30 gal. trash bags
2 - 20 oz. water bottles
1/2 roll T.P.
2-3 wet wipes
3 pr. surgical gloves
1 - space blanket
1 lb. summer sausage
4 - grainola bars
Extra pr. gloves
8 - chewable asprins
6 - vicadins
The weight of everything including the pack runs 12 - 14 lbs.
JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I always have my back pack on my back when in the mountains doing spot and stalk hunting and it is very similarly filled with like items as you listed above with a few exceptions and additions.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I'm courious as to what you carry in your pack, since i'm older and have medical problems i probably carry more then most of you. Here's my list,

Extra compass
    Fire starter
    50 water proof matches
    3 Bic lighters
    Topo maps
    50' para cord
    6" fixed blade knife
    8" folding saw
    L.E.D. headlite
    "D" cell strobe lite
    2 - 30 gal. trash bags
    2 - 20 oz. water bottles
    1/2 roll T.P.
    2-3 wet wipes
    3 pr. surgical gloves
    1 - space blanket
    1 lb. summer sausage
    4 - grainola bars
    Extra pr. gloves
    8 - chewable asprins
    6 - vicadins
    JAY

I take a mirror, so I can look into it and see who's lost. It also works for signalling. :)

Rather than individual components, I just pack a small first aid kit, along with some water purification tablets. A whistle, if I can remember.

I've tried the space blankets, but found them too flimsy, so I carry a small tarp instead. Always have a flashlight and fire starting materials.

A lb. of summer sausage seems extreme, especially when you can carry jerky and take up less room and weight.

Other than that, our gear is pretty much the same.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    heh.. here in Florida... LOL no pack.

Knife, couple extra rounds of ammo, something to drink, and a small flashlight.

oh yeah.. and my phone (turned off)

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I take a mirror, so I can look into it and see who's lost. It also works for signalling. :)

JBC, I never get lost, I always know what state I'm in

forgot to add the mirror, and cell phone

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,962 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »

Extra compass
    Fire starter
    50 water proof matches
    3 Bic lighters
    Topo maps
    50' para cord
    6" fixed blade knife
    8" folding saw
    L.E.D. headlite
    "D" cell strobe lite
    2 - 30 gal. trash bags
    2 - 20 oz. water bottles
    1/2 roll T.P.
    2-3 wet wipes
    3 pr. surgical gloves
    1 - space blanket
    1 lb. summer sausage
    4 - grainola bars
    Extra pr. gloves
    8 - chewable asprins
    6 - vicadins
    JAY

Matches and lighters are very important. Some plastic overalls are good too. Hypothermia is the biggest killer in the outdoors. Also, some good advice to everyone that ventures into the outdoors; two important things are to always tell someone or maybe more than one where you're going. The second thing, know how to admit you're lost. It takes will power to sit down, admit you're lost, build a fire and wait. If you told someone where you were going, then it is a matter of time before you will be rescued. But if you go wandering around the countryside getting more lost, they will have trouble finding you. Build a fire, get on something dry if you have it and stay as warm as possible (If you're wet and don't have a change of clothes chances are if you remove your clothes you will get colder faster. Even wet clothes insulate, and a lot better than no clothes). Have the discipline to wait until someone comes for you.

I haven't taught hunter safety in over 15 years, but we used to teach basic survival skills. So if you weren't taught this in hunter ed, get some good literature on the subject and read up on it before your next trip to the boonies. It could very well save your life.
    Remember, self discipline is the key.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Water, compass, and some form of fire starter.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Yes Ned, fire is your friend.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    I carry my spare pocket knife in my backpack, and in a seperate pouch inside it I have ten spare rounds of ammo, a pull through, a firesteel, tinder and a small compass and a head lamp
    I also carry some iodine swabs a couple of band aids and a compression bandage.
    Where I differ is that I also have three condoms and three tampons on me, the condoms are to hold water/food/xyz or provide a barrier to air or water on, say, a burn or maybe if I got caught in something and degloved my hand, these are just examples. The tampons are for plugging bullet holes, if some fool shoots me I don't want to bleed out for want of a 3 cent feminine hygeine product that absorbs and expands to fit the diameter of the wound, my friend in the army told me that they carry them in their first aid kits.

Apart from that, just a pullover and a thermal top, depends on the weather and a litre of water plus some biltong or muesli bars or chocolate and a few pieces of hardtack.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    Where do you get hardtack?

I tried some of it once at a civil war re-enactment site. It was pretty grim, as I recall.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    My pack is a lot like yours I have a few different items though. I noticed no one mentions hand sanitizer. Hygene is your friend too... you can also use it to helt get a fire going if for some reason you can't find any kindling or everything is a little damp
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,331 Senior Member
    I just bought a Remington Sureshot pack with a built in hydration system. I’m still not done stocking it, but here is what will be in it when I set out to hunt.
    First aid supplies – vacuum sealed (gauze, band aids, anti diarrhea pills, pain killers, antibiotic cream, medical tape, assorted bandages, etc)
    flashlight
    Spare batteries for flashlight and GPS – vacuum sealed
    Winchester changeable blade hunting knife/saw
    Gerber Suspension multi tool
    2 space blankets
    Plastic camo rain jacket
    Small knife sharpener
    Matches and lighters – vacuum sealed
    Lens cleaning wipes
    GPS unit
    Digital camera
    Granola bars, jerky, snacks etc.
    Hydration unit filled with water
    Ink pens
    Hunting license and ID
    Partial roll of TP
    Extra pair of socks and gloves
    Several pair of surgical gloves
    20 feet of cotton rope
    Rangefinder (in the pack except when hunting)
    Binoculars (in the pack except when hunting)
    Scent eliminating spray

This leaves enough room in one large compartment to put my jacket or other clothes if I need to remove layers as the day warms up.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Mine's pretty similar.
    water bladder and military style canteen
    TP
    Matches and bic lighter
    2 flashlights
    GPS
    Extra batteries
    Space blanket
    plastic rain poncho
    shoe lace (for tying on tags)
    Knife sharpener
    some combination of granola bars, trail mix, sunflower seeds and mini snickers
    Lens cleaner
    extra ammo
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 718 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo,

This is basically the recipe I use here, http://kenanderson.net/hardtack/recipes.html , scroll down some to find it.
    Yeah, its not something that I'd want to live on but it's indestructible and soaks up water, that and its great to knaw on when you're hungry or nervous, think of it as a durable chewing gum. The last batch I made was about six months ago and its still good after being kept in a ziploc bag so that speaks to the toughness of it. I don't let mine get too hard though, just bake it long enough to leave it boot leather tough, not rock hard. I've used it to thicken stews or soaked it and had it as a sort of gruel, or sliced it up and nibbled at it, whatever you do with it it's handy stuff, plus its a durable way of keeping much needed salt, and the packaging it edible :beer:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that none of the Survival/hunting packs mentioned so far contain any form of steel/aluminium cup or small pot to boil water in.

A large enamel cup can be filled with some of the survival gear like lighters, matches, bandages spare batteries etc, and not take up much more room....... And if you hunt around you can find one that takes one of those plastic lids you put on opened pet food cans to keep everything inside waterproofed.

If you run out of water it gives you the ability to boil whatever you can find. Nothing worse than being lost cold and miserable and having bowel trouble at the same time......

You can even stick a couple of small coffee/tea bags inside along with some of those free sugar satchets from a coffee shop.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I find it interesting that none of the Survival/hunting packs mentioned so far contain any form of steel/aluminium cup or small pot to boil water in.

A large enamel cup can be filled with some of the survival gear like lighters, matches, bandages spare batteries etc, and not take up much more room....... And if you hunt around you can find one that takes one of those plastic lids you put on opened pet food cans to keep everything inside waterproofed.

If you run out of water it gives you the ability to boil whatever you can find. Nothing worse than being lost cold and miserable and having bowel trouble at the same time......

You can even stick a couple of small coffee/tea bags inside along with some of those free sugar satchets from a coffee shop.

Stainless steel water bottle. Cup or pot is dead weight, water bottle is useful.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

I have actually thought about that, but I keep 2 cans of white chili in my bag because while clifbars will work for a while that can of hot chili will be a gift from the gods after you've been freezing to death for 3 days. I figured I'd just use the can to boil water/melt snow.

I've also been know to say screw it and turn a half day trip into a weekend trip if there is a KOA near by. Then I've already got some camp fire food.
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    We usually hike a lot to glass/spot and stalk. So I carry enough to get by for a few days if needed.

Rain gear
    Lighter and fire starter w/ tinder.
    Paper towels in a zip-lock
    Ammo
    Knife sharpener
    Multi-tool
    Para cord
    Flashlight and batteries
    Jerky and some kind of high energy bar like clif or power
    Camelback or similar hydration system that my pack is designed to use
    Dental floss and needles for repairs

That mostly covers it.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
    cpj wrote: »
    Buttwipe, water, spare ammo, and a snack. Probably a flashlight too. Why so little? Cause I am freaking tough, a real mountain man. I can do a lot with little. And if it gets too bad, I can always walk the 1/8th mile back to my truck/camp to re-supply.

Well said cpj, well said! You are a man after my own heart.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    To the blind I usually just take a couple of snacks and some water but camp is not far and where I keep my main survival pack....
    Traveltrailer.jpg
    My survival pack has a shower, toilet, Microwave, TV, DVD player, Refridgerator, stove, coffee pot, queen size bed, ect....
    I'm almost as tough as cpj!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    To the blind I usually just take a couple of snacks and some water but camp is not far and where I keep my main survival pack....
    Traveltrailer.jpg
    My survival pack has a shower, toilet, Microwave, TV, DVD player, Refridgerator, stove, coffee pot, queen size bed, ect....

Now that's survival at its best!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Buttwipe, water, spare ammo, and a snack. Probably a flashlight too. Why so little? Cause I am freaking tough, a real mountain man. I can do a lot with little. And if it gets too bad, I can always walk the 1/8th mile back to my truck/camp to re-supply.

All YOU need is a big knife to kill pig with. Now you got food, shelter and a way to start a fire. Just rub the leg bones together real fast.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Since I'm seldom over 1/2 mile from home, the only survival device I need to carry is a walkie-talkie. The base station is always turned on and tuned to channel 9 when I'm out in the boondocks.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,615 Senior Member
    Ask my brother, I make him carry it all!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Ask my brother, I make him carry it all!

No argument from me......

Similar stuff as everyone else is carrying, add in a small coil of 550 cord and an old army canteen cup, ( works great to boil water and cook in).
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,825 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Traveltrailer.jpg

Unfortunately, that survival trailer can be well ventilated, and it's occupants, with a bunch of .223's or 7.62's, leaving it's contents for the victor. I would suggest a defensable position to go with it.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,456 Senior Member

A REAL Mountain Man doesn't need Buttwipe, they just have to park the truck a little closer! :jester:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member

:that:

I'm rarely more than a quarter mile from my truck or UTV, so, water,TP, and a snack would usually suffice.

However, I am a compulsive planner, so I also carry:
    • GPS and compass, in case I wound an animal and have to spend all day tracking it methodically through river bottoms where the moss grows on every side of the tree and you can't see the sun - hasn't happened yet, but it could, maybe.
    • Bic lighters, two, of course, because I always smoke a cigar and drink a cup of coffee when I quit for the day, or if I have shot a deer and am waiting for it to bleed out before I go to it.
    • First aid essentials, in case I fall off the ladder while climbing into my box blind.
    • Extra food, in case I decide to spend all day at it.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 471 Member
    Something that I think is essential is some material in either fluorescent orange or lime green. If you are lost or hurt and need someone to find you, it is easier if they can see you. A lot of guys wear some degree of camo whether hunting or just hiking . An injured person on the ground in a camo hat and shirt can be very difficult to find. something bright can be seen for quite a distance.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • forsytherforsyther Banned Posts: 5 New Member
    Hunting expedition should be carried with much care and for that you have to equip yourselves well before leaving out for it. When you are doing hunting on mountain spots and in wilderness, you have to be very careful. Survival packs can be of great help if someone is stranded in between the pursuance of his/her action, or activity.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,252 Senior Member
    And?
    Overkill is underrated.