Shooting about 20 minutes from me...

roadkingroadking Senior MemberPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
Ambush at State Police Barracks. Mostly a media blackout, but 2 officers wounded, one dead so far. Radio silence.

How would you respond? No info forth coming.
Apparently shooters laid in wait for shift change. No description of vehicle or shooters. Last word was they were headed in our direction. Helicopters and cruisers everywhere.
Its getting crazier by the day.
And we're headed out to a youth shooting competition in about 20 minutes.

http://wnep.com/2014/09/13/breaking-news-incident-at-state-police-barracks-in-blooming-grove/

Now the police are being targeted. What next?

Matt
Support your local Scouts!

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    :angel2:Prayers for the troopers, and their families. It takes a special kind of wacko to plan an ambush on law enforcement. I hope they catch them, and soon.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    roadking wrote: »
    By making sure the doors are locked and that I kept something appropriate close by.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    By making sure the doors are locked and that I kept something appropriate close by.

:that:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    :angel2:Prayers for the troopers, and their families.
    Well, that's how I would respond.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,533 Senior Member
    roadking wrote: »
    Ambush at State Police Barracks. Mostly a media blackout, but 2 officers wounded, one dead so far. Radio silence.

Apparently shooters laid in wait for shift change. No description of vehicle or shooters. Last word was they were headed in our direction. Helicopters and cruisers everywhere.
    Its getting crazier by the day.
    And we're headed out to a youth shooting competition in about 20 minutes.

http://wnep.com/2014/09/13/breaking-news-incident-at-state-police-barracks-in-blooming-grove/

Now the police are being targeted. What next?

Matt
    Figure out if it is police that are targeted, or A policeman that was targeted. Could be a husband.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    A LEO responds differently as opposed to a non LEO,
    A non LEO can help if asked, however unlikely in most ordinary cases.
    A non LEO in most ordinary cases, will be concerned with their own personal safety.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Shooter on the loose still as of this morning.

Oldest scored a 168 out of 200; not bad for his first competition.22 cal bolt, open sites...could use scope as well...high score was 192.

It was sponsored by one of our state reps, and the ranger officers were all police. Emergency response vehicle was set up (last year it was the SWAT Truck) with generators running and making coffee and cookies.

150 kids, cold and rainy on the mountain, but not a single frown to be seen.

Have no issue with carrying rifle to a shoot...it was unloaded in a case, breach open, and invitation in hand. Was carrying my side are in a shoulder holster (Ruger P-85, 9mm) with no concerns.

Search is still active.

Matt
    Wounded officer is now conscious and talking to investigators, but still no info to the general public. I have a friend in a nearby PD, and he's got nothing either.

Matt
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/16/authorities-release-profile-gunman-who-ambushed-pennsylvania-state-troopers/?intcmp=trending

How wonderful. A "survialist" who lived with his parents at age 31. Before he starts falling on the way to jail I would like to kick him in the junk.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Thoughts with the troopers and their families. Hopefully the responsible were dealt with on the business end a prejudice gun hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    :angel2:Prayers for the troopers, and their families. It takes a special kind of wacko to plan an ambush on law enforcement. I hope they catch them, and soon.

Or otherwise deal with them.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Well, still on the loose, and at around 6:30, wife sent me an update of gunfire in Cresco, about 10 miles away (our scanner, no link). That would be en route to his residence in Canadensis. A straight line from the shooting to his home.

http://wnep.com/2014/09/16/state-police-name-suspect-in-trooper-slaying/

http://wnep.com/2014/09/16/reports-zeroing-in-on-suspect/

http://wnep.com/tag/trooper-shooting/

Matt
    Schools closed today around the area with gunman still on the loose.

http://wnep.com/weather/school-closing/

Matt
    Currently police are now converging on the power lines by Hawley...about 15 miles north of us (and a mile from the middle and high schools). Went from 7 miles south to 15 miles north. Guess, if it's correct, and the proper suspect both times, he managed to get hold of a vehicle. If they don't get him soon, looks like another day off from school...like we don't get enough with the snow as it is...
    Back to trimming the hedges and mowing the grass.

Matt
    Still no one in custody, nor actual ID. Whether they close school again tomorrow, our kids are staying home.
    5 days and no info forthcoming...scanner is quiet as well.
    Doors locked, normal evening routine, but a weird sense of weirdness in the air.
    Still, daily life will go on.
    Hope something gets figured out soon...it's become a ghost town recently around here.

Matt
    Neighbor has a trooper friend. Just texted her saying get inside NOW and stay there! Well they told me, and couldn't understand why I kept working on my smaller garage. He wants police and a mass shooting. He's not likely to cruise/walk the street and pick off one by one.

They ran back home and locked themselves in with a few kitchen knives as defense...sad.

I finished up with the material I had and am now making pizza for the family.

Suddenly, a lot of cruisers and unmarked cars. might be an interesting night. $175k reward currently.

He was spotted near Cove Haven earlier today...I'm usually there 3 times a week doing HVAC...I was home today.

Looks like he's on his way to real close to home.

Matt

BTW, home made pizza with extra garlic and pepperoni. Sorry, warped sense of humor as usual. Not really concerned for self, but family and friends that don't have a clue. Hopefully some good news soon.
    Choppers and cruisers abound. For some reason, I think its a false positive...too much light and siren and presence. Time will tell.

And, yup, I'm prepared Just in case. About to go sit on the porch and enjoy a beverage and watch the happenings.

Matt
    Still at large.
    The shooter is now the FBI's #2 most wanted. http://wnep.com/2014/09/19/accused-k...d-wanted-list/
    Believed to still be In the area. Choppers and cruisers all night, still now as well.

Matt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Hope he's caught soon. If they catch him by causing him to start approaching ambient temperature, then that is O.K. I'm wondering if he has stolen a vehicle somewhere and is completely out of the area, or if he previously cached supplies somewhere and is holed up waiting for the heat to lessen so he can escape the area.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

9 days and Still on the loose, and reports of him in town. School open tomorrow, but our kids are not going in. Almost looks like using kids as bait. E-mail said all absences will be excused...Dang straight. Until he's locked up or at ambient temperature, our kids are not going in. Busses and schools are easy targets. Presently, 3 miles away...near town.
    Police lost him again.

Matt
    FYI,
    according to the news he dropprd his AK and kept his rifle with the "sniper" scope.
    If he planned a mass shooting, you'd think he'd keep the AK...unless he's setting the police up.
    Kids home. Heading to Dickson City for karate gear and hopefully, some .22 ammo (buddy said the gun store there had some at good prices).

Matt
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    This guy has been roaming those woods for years- - - -no telling what he might have cached out there. I'm afraid he's planning some sort of ambush or booby trap situation and abandoning the AK was just bait for the trap.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    This is starting to sound like its NOT going to end well...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Home now...nothing that I've heard, except from folks that can't be quoted;
    1) AK47 "type" rifle recovered...news did put that out.
    2) 2 .308 rifles, one scoped, one open sight recovered in the woods. 1 at a burned out camp fire, one as a suspect fled on foot.
    3) FBI, BATFE, State, local police, Lancaster county Sheriff's K-9 unit in town, an armoured...almost looks like a bobcat skidsteer...is about (it will get stuck or flip if they head into the woods). Other armoured vehicles patrolling the roads.
    IMHO, he's either dead or seriously hunkered down. Guessing he has more fire arms than originally thought (original report was 1 .308 and 1 AK "Type" rifle). If alive, I think he's planning to get the police as nervous as possible, then strike...most likely at one of the several staging areas as he has an issue with Law Enforcement (as do a lot of the residents in the area...LEO looking like fools...possibly intentional on this guys part).
    Troopers are zipping by in both directions outside our house (we are not under a shelter in place order...and if we were, we'd ignore it...BTW.)
    Our school is open, sheriff's car and 2 state trooper cars (3 men in each) are in the elementary school parking lot.
    Scanner quiet.
    As a positive, guy I work with had me stop at his place on the way home...to give a bullet trap to my boys...Got to get a picture. This will open up more practice time for us.
    Plus I found a source for 22LR ammo...bricks at old prices and no limits...going back tomorrow...LOL!
    Anyone in the area...be aware.

Matt
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 389 Member
    Hopefully the police are keeping the radios quiet considering what happened here. Guy killed 3 RCMP and wounded 2 others. He was using a scanner app and internet on his phone while on the loose to keep track of what the cops were up to.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    This is one hell of a thing. Have you heard much helicopter traffic? FLIR would honestly be the best thing--especially at night with the evening temps dipping down.

Shoot, camo me up and drop me in 5 miles from his last known in the woods. I'll announce his capture with a single shot.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Woke to choppers this morning. They have been around for some time, but not this early over my place. Seemed to be en-route to search area. Couldn't ID them as it is still awfully dark here at 6 am.

Matt
    Sightings reported. Cigarette packs and diapers found. He's not concealing himself very well presently...fatiqued or setting the police up? Not sure.

Matt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    Diapers?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."