Family = 1, Armed robber = 0

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
A robber armed w. a shotgun entered a family store, threatening the owner's daughter, then the owner, but the owner's son disarmed the robber and then saved the state lots of money on trial and prison costs:

The story:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/alleged-armed-robber-shot-killed-by-family/28045006

Score: family 1, robber 0
yet another example of Texas justice

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    The end result was good, but why was Dad talking instead of shooting? If a thug points a gun at MY daughter, talk time is over.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,683 Senior Member
    Good ending to a bad event!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    A robber armed w. a shotgun entered a family store, threatening the owner's daughter, then the owner, but the owner's son disarmed the robber and then saved the state lots of money on trial and prison costs:

The story:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/alleged-armed-robber-shot-killed-by-family/28045006

Score: family 1, robber 0
    yet another example of Texas justice

I have no love for the various scum, dirt bags and goblins wandering around out there....but what I'm reading in your post and in the news article could be construed to sound a lot like murder in some locales....if the perpetrator had been disarmed the subsequent shooting might have been deemed excessive. Maybe the incident was just worded poorly
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I have no love for the various scum, dirt bags and goblins wandering around out there....but what I'm reading in your post and in the news article could be construed to sound a lot like murder in some locales....if the perpetrator had been disarmed the subsequent shooting might have been deemed excessive. Maybe the incident was just worded poorly
    JH, the way I'm reading this,
    The owner then pulled out his handgun and told the man to leave, but the gunman turned and pointed the shotgun at the dad instead.
    Investigators say that is when the owner's son ran over, grabbed the gun from the dad and shot the intruder.
    the son grabbed dad's gun and shot the still armed robber :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Some locales, I guess so. Not in Texas however.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Looks like the old "shoot to wound" advice is horse pucky- - - - -the scumbag took a round to the leg and continued to fight. Looks like a righteous shoot to me!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Looks like the old "shoot to wound" advice is horse pucky- - - - -
    Jerry
    Always shoot to wound.......think about it.....................................:popcorn:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Always shoot to wound.......think about it.....................................:popcorn:
    "Never do your enemy a minor injury." Machiavelli.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    "Never do your enemy a minor injury." Machiavelli.

"Shoot the sunny beach in the face." Razorbacker
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    "Once firing commences, continue firing until the threat is neutralized. A warning shot is neither necessary nor desirable." That was part of the General Order concerning dealing with a threat when I was armed watch on the ship. Just as applicable now as then.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Looks like the old "shoot to wound" advice is horse pucky- - - - -the scumbag took a round to the leg and continued to fight. Looks like a righteous shoot to me!
    Jerry

In any training I have had, We were taught to aim/shoot at centermass / ten ring of the target, Masaad Ayoob said you shoot to stop the attack, you fear for your life.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Jerry

I know that the "shoot to wound" concept isn't your mantra, Teach, but on that topic, I've actually never heard that said by any book or instructor or other "real" self defense source. Every instructor I've had told me "center mass" or similar. My Dad would say "Aim for the belt buckle" too. All the books I've read on the subject have essentially said that if you're in a shooting situation and are both legally and morally ready to fire, do so with direct center mass targeting. And keep shooting until the threat ceases.

This "shoot to wound" is likely something promulgated by a politically-correct LEO regulation, is my guess.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    This "shoot to wound" is likely something promulgated by a politically-correct LEO regulation, is my guess.

Mostly it's what we hear from the apologists for these "poor, misunderstood children who were turning their lives around". "Y'all didn't have to kill 'im- - - -ya coulda' shot him in the leg!" It seems like that theory has been proved wrong- - - -again! I'm in favor of the Mozambique triple tap.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    This "shoot to wound" is likely something promulgated by a politically-correct LEO regulation, is my guess.[/QUOTE]

No LE agency training would instruct it's Officers / Agents to shoot to wound, a leg or arm etc. It is always based on the FBI formula of centermass. Shooting at the belt buckle is not such a hot idea either.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    The 1972 Munich Olympics is a great example of reasons NOT to teach "Shooting to Wound." West German police, I've been told in LE schools, were trained to shoot to wound. They practiced on wound targets and were not allowed to shoot CoM. ALL of their training was to wound. When confronting the terrorists who kidnapped the Israeli athletes, they found themselves psychologically incapable of overcoming their training and shooting for CoM. Since then and because of this incident, they are taught like we are over here.

LE firearms trainers (of which I am a retired one) are taught to "Shoot to Stop," and this is the language used. What has been said before on this thread, the gravity of a situation where shooting is legal, makes CoM shooting the best way to end the threat.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06