My house today

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,527 Senior Member
About 10:00 AM my dogs were barking like crazy in the side yard, so I opened the bathroom window and there was a face looking at me, not a foot away, grabbed my .44 rushed outside and stopped some guy, I ordered him to get on the ground or I would shoot him, I want you to know that I don't get rattled at times like this and at no time did I have the pistol cocked and my finger was not on the trigger, nor would I have shot him as he wasn't a threat to me or the wife. The guy sat on the ground while I called 911, he was a 17 year old HS student, no shirt or shoes and his face was cut up, he told me he was walking home from an all night party and had to take a pee, chose my yard cause of all the trees and bushes, I told him if he had just knocked on the door I would have known something was wrong and I would have taken him home, he lived 6mi. away. The LEOs got here, questioned him and I and I told them I wasn't going to press charges, his dad came and got him, and we had a long talk.

I'm may be old, but remember all the crap I pulled at his age, I think (hope) I did right by not pressing charges.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
«13

Replies

  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=jaywapti;384026, I think (hope) I did right by not pressing charges.

    [/QUOTE]

    If all is as he said it was...sounds like you did just fine....well done...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    If all is as he said it was...sounds like you did just fine....well done...
    :agree:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    +1
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I think you played that one perfectly.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I think you played that one perfectly.

    :agree:

    Just curious if you could share (for those of us who have never been in your situation) some details of the interaction with the LEOs in regards to your gun?
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    :agree:

    Just curious if you could share (for those of us who have never been in your situation) some details of the interaction with the LEOs in regards to your gun?

    After I gave the dispatcher my address and name she asked where the person was, I said sitting in my driveway, she asked why and I told her I had a pistol on him, I heard her tell the LEO " be advised homeowner has a gun" About one min. later the first LEO arrived and started questioning the kid, the 2ed LEO arrived. The first one then questioned me as to what happened I took him in the bathroom to show him where the kid was, he then asked where the gun was I said in my pocket unloaded he asked why and I told him I never hand a loaded weapon to anyone and had a CC and was an NRA instructor , he never asked to see the gun. He did ask if I would have shot him, I said no as he wasn't a threat. The rest is history

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    In some states, just displaying your weapon and threatening to shoot is considered aggravated assault. I don't know about Florida, but consider yourself lucky you weren't arrested.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    How are things under the bridge these days, horse?

    Jay, it sounds like you handled things very well, firm, no nonsense, but without over-reacting. Did the kid realize the seriousness of the situation he put himself into- - - -or maybe Dad, or both of them? When I was in Okinawa three of us caught a 16-year-old window-peeper getting an eyeful of one guy's wife taking a shower and held him for the cops on the second-story patio of our apartment building. When the local Okinawan police arrived, one of them walked up the stairway, put a foot in the kid's back, and delivered him to his partner waiting at the foot of the stairs. They tossed the guy into the back of the patrol car and drove away. We never heard another word about the incident.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    In some states, just displaying your weapon and threatening to shoot is considered aggravated assault. I don't know about Florida, but consider yourself lucky you weren't arrested.

    Florida, like a lot of other states, has laws that make sense. If you don't live in one of those states with SENSIBLE CASTLE DOCTRINE LAWS, then maybe you should move to one that does.


    Jay, sounds like you done good, and I'll bet the kid has a fresh perspective of how not to act in the future.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.



  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Jerry, yeah they new how bad it could have been, his dad said he's been having problems with him, mostly bad grades and partying too much.

    What I didn't say before was I never actually never pointed the gun at him, he was scared enough just seeing me hold it. When it all started I was at the "ready" as I didn't know if he was armed or how many were outside. I told Jen to stay inside, armed , until I had it under control, of course she didn't, came out another door with her gun, then went back inside when the LEO arrived.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Florida, like a lot of other states, has laws that make sense. If you don't live in one of those states with SENSIBLE CASTLE DOCTRINE LAWS, then maybe you should move to one that does. Jay, sounds like you done good

    And I agree, Jay did well, very well. He successfully defended his family and home, and apprehended and held the perpetrator, all without bloodshed. I merely pointed out that in many states, especially in the Northeast or Illinois, what he did might have gotten him in trouble, especially if the local D.A. is more progressive than sane.

    I live in AZ, there is no friendlier state to firearms, and we enjoy 'castle,' 'stand your ground,' and constitutional carry. I just worry about our brethren in the firearms community, who responsibly keep, bear, and use firearms who may not be so lucky.

    Good job Jay! Book 'em, Danno!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Florida, like a lot of other states, has laws that make sense. If you don't live in one of those states with SENSIBLE CASTLE DOCTRINE LAWS, then maybe you should move to one that does.


    Jay, sounds like you done good, and I'll bet the kid has a fresh perspective of how not to act in the future.

    Agree on both points. Jay apparently did just the right thing.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Jay did the right thing.

    In many anti-gun cities, the main hangup is if you haven't a permit to carry, even in anti-gun NYC, Bernard Goetz was charged with illegal possession of an unlicensed handgun, he was not charged for the actual shooting, he was also stupid he turned himself in, he was in no danger of getting caught according to the police.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jaywapti, proud to have you as a fellow Floridan. It is my home state/HOR even if I farted around in the Army/DA Civilian life fer almost 35 years in other places except for leave. I like it here, the Yankees ain't totally ruined it yet, but are trying to make it like "Back Home" which means NJ/NY like places.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Thanks to all of you for your support, In the aftermath of this I tend to beat myself up as to what could/should I have done better, your responses reaffirm that I did ok.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Jaywapti, I like it here, the Yankees ain't totally ruined it yet, but are trying to make it like "Back Home" which means NJ/NY like places.

    BC, There are still a lot of places that are the same as they were in the 40 - 50s, places that us "crackers" still call home.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    Jay, You can be my neighbor whenever you wish :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you for your support, In the aftermath of this I tend to beat myself up as to what could/should I have done better, your responses reaffirm that I did ok.

    BC, There are still a lot of places that are the same as they were in the 40 - 50s, places that us "crackers" still call home.

    JAY

    I doubt his story, especially since he was a foot away from you at your bathroom window, but it's my nature to be suspicious. Without charging him with being a Peeping Tom, no other charge to press. Anyway, if that was the case, maybe you turned him away from a life of peeping. If he was just taking a leak, no harm, no foul. I agree you did the right thing.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing that Jay. The interactions with the responding officer after the incident always interests me. Not often I get a first hand account. No need to second guess your actions with the outcome you achieved.

    Don
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Well done Jay.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    About 10:00 AM my dogs were barking like crazy in the side yard, so I opened the bathroom window and there was a face looking at me, not a foot away, grabbed my .44 rushed outside and stopped some guy, I ordered him to get on the ground or I would shoot him, I want you to know that I don't get rattled at times like this and at no time did I have the pistol cocked and my finger was not on the trigger, nor would I have shot him as he wasn't a threat to me or the wife. The guy sat on the ground while I called 911, he was a 17 year old HS student, no shirt or shoes and his face was cut up, he told me he was walking home from an all night party and had to take a pee, chose my yard cause of all the trees and bushes, I told him if he had just knocked on the door I would have known something was wrong and I would have taken him home, he lived 6mi. away. The LEOs got here, questioned him and I and I told them I wasn't going to press charges, his dad came and got him, and we had a long talk.

    I'm may be old, but remember all the crap I pulled at his age, I think (hope) I did right by not pressing charges.

    JAY

    Ya did good.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    In some states, just displaying your weapon and threatening to shoot is considered aggravated assault. I don't know about Florida, but consider yourself lucky you weren't arrested.

    Wow. Just completely turn this positive LEO encounter/citizen property defense story into a passive aggressive commentary to bash LEOs as a whole because of your contempt.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,464 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I doubt his story, especially since he was a foot away from you at your bathroom window, but it's my nature to be suspicious. Without charging him with being a Peeping Tom, no other charge to press. Anyway, if that was the case, maybe you turned him away from a life of peeping. If he was just taking a leak, no harm, no foul. I agree you did the right thing.


    :that: The story seems too pat, but what else can you do with no other evidence?


    As Bream stated, thankfully, not all states have idiotic laws and it's a good idea to avoid those that do. My own state is getting better, but it's been a fight...:silly:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If more LEOs were more like Jason they would get a lot more respect on here. I know they are driven by their state/county/city's laws but they have some discretion and obviously the responding officer to Jay's situation handled it well without putting undue stress on him like some may have.

    Even with all the bad press about LEOs/SWAT/Militarization lately, I'm an optimist and think most cops try and do the right thing.....I used to think about 99% do, but I'm at about 90% now.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Wow. Just completely turn this positive LEO encounter/citizen property defense story into a passive aggressive commentary to bash LEOs as a whole because of your contempt.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

    I think horse's commentary was just fine and I didn't see anything suspect about it at all. I think it's you who overreacted, dude. And misinterpreted the whole passive-aggressive thing as well.

    Sent from my new HP laptop using Xfinity WiFi.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I think horse's commentary was just fine and I didn't see anything suspect about it at all. I think it's you who overreacted, dude. And misinterpreted the whole passive-aggressive thing as well.

    Sent from my new HP laptop using Xfinity WiFi.
    :that: Horse's comments could very well have been true here in NC a couple of years ago. The laws have changed slightly in favor of the gun owner in recent years.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    In some states, just displaying your weapon and threatening to shoot is considered aggravated assault. I don't know about Florida, but consider yourself lucky you weren't arrested.

    Florida is a very pro 2ed amend. state. Most of the LEOs I've met weather city, county , or state are in favor of CCW and armed homeowners.
    Maybe you should move to Fla.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I doubt his story, especially since he was a foot away from you at your bathroom window, but it's my nature to be suspicious. Without charging him with being a Peeping Tom, no other charge to press. Anyway, if that was the case, maybe you turned him away from a life of peeping. If he was just taking a leak, no harm, no foul. I agree you did the right thing.

    Its my nature also to be suspicious, but a 1/2 blind idiot could see from a distance that my bathroom windows are opaque glass and you cant see thru them. He did pee on the side of the house, I washed it off, Next time I'll leave it so you can come down here see it and smell it for yourself, and before you ask we searched for his stash and there was none. This was just a kid that didn't use common sense.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    Whoa...little sand in the clam? How did you think this was a challenge?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Everybody deserves one break. You didn't know his record and everyone here is innocent til proven guilty. So you did right. Now if you see him doing something again nail him. But one good lesson sometimes gives great results.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Whoa...little sand in the clam? How did you think this was a challenge?

    No challenge just told it the way it was.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    You did the right thing. No need to justify it. You just seemed to be a bit defensive on an action that didn't need a defense. Inviting me to witness where the guy peed. What's up with that?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.