My house today

2

Replies

  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Gene and Jay,

    When I first read Gene's post, his words, "I doubt his story"...... I thought he was talking about Jay's story at first. It took me rereading his post to realize he was talking about doubting the KID'S story. Not Jay's.

    I just thought that maybe Jay had the same misinterpretation and perhaps that's the source of Jay's response.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    You just seemed to be a bit defensive on an action that didn't need a defense. ?

    You seemed to be trying to second guess what happened, if I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Gene and Jay,

    When I first read Gene's post, his words, "I doubt his story"...... I thought he was talking about Jay's story at first. It took me rereading his post to realize he was talking about doubting the KID'S story. Not Jay's.

    I just thought that maybe Jay had the same misinterpretation and perhaps that's the source of Jay's response.

    That is how I took it. If Gene meant it about the kid, than I jumped the gun, sometimes I have a hair trigger.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The good news is it is over, no shots fired and just maybe the kid will take this opportunity to turn his life around.

    It is hard to say how any of us would have reacted to the situation, responses can be totally different from what you plan to do in a given situation.

    Jay did the right thing, the cop did the right thing and hopefully the kid will start doing the right things in the future.

    WIN WIN situation and possible WIN in the future.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    I am late to the game and will add only: Jay if you ask me you did the right thing. LEO that responded did also, the kids story may or may not be true, if it is you made him a little smarter on what a person should and should not do on another mans property. If he was casing your place to break in, he now knows what may happen if he does and I would bet he will tell his friends. Some may now make your home a target to break in and steal guns, but most would think Holy Smokes break in there and if someone is home or comes home I'm dead and will move on to easier pickings.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Well, after encountering not one, but two armed homeowners, I'll bet the kid didn't need a laxative that day!
    :yikes:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    Of course I mean that I doubted the kid. I don't see how my post could have been misinterpreted, and my first reply reflected my confusion, but I accept that it was. You got a half-naked kid at your bathroom window with a lame excuse. Yep, I doubt him (the kid.)
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Of course I mean that I doubted the kid. I don't see how my post could have been misinterpreted, )

    Gene, It doesn't matter, so we spent a few minutes yelling at each other , no harm was done, we still friends ??

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    Yes, friends.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think it is safe to say some stuff constantly posted here is STALE & SHOPWORN!

    A person can't help where they were born anymore than their race, they can however have better outlooks on life and things like gun control. News flash not everyone from NYC is for gun control or sponsors gun control bills.

    Not every LEO from the East coast is a Nazi storm trooper either.
    This account ended well and was well handled.

    Save the scorn for the deserving, but please knock off the uneeded bigotry and insults as it has gotten old and stale.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I think it is safe to say some stuff constantly posted here is STALE & SHOPWORN!

    A person can't help where they were born anymore than their race, they can however have better outlooks on life and things like gun control. News flash not everyone from NYC is for gun control or sponsors gun control bills.

    Not every LEO from the East coast is a Nazi storm trooper either.
    This account ended well and was well handled.

    Save the scorn for the deserving, but please knock off the uneeded bigotry and insults as it has gotten old and stale.

    So is Stale and Shopworn the same as Tired and Trite? :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,085 Senior Member
    Move to a different state was one piece of advice I received a lot when I first showed up here. It gets old, but I understand the intent of the statement.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That advice does not help everyone, some people can't move at the drop of a hat, so they make the best of it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    That advice does not help everyone, some people can't move at the drop of a hat, so they make the best of it.

    So true :that:

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    Jay I'm the odd man out on this one.

    In this situation things worked out.
    why..... because it was a kid not intent on doing any harm.

    I think not calling 911 right away and exiting the house were mistakes that could have gone very badly for you if there was another far worse intent.

    Jen not doing as planned could have been very bad as well
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I think not calling 911 right away and exiting the house were mistakes that could have gone very badly for you if there was another far worse intent.Jen not doing as planned could have been very bad as well

    Point well taken. I went out with the intent of getting a license plate nr. if there was a car waiting, No Jen didn't listen but to her credit she didn't come out until after the kid was sitting down and was behind a stone piller. But your right I should have been dialing 911 first.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    For me , you did very right. :up:

    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    ...........hell almost ended up in England ............

    You Sir.............

    "overpaid, overfed, oversexed and over here".


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyHJ4tDJSI0m8x-VKLu549BILK5IGtKIcKlY2nZThHh_J3YKFf

    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Glad it turned out OK and for that it is all good. With that said, I probably would have handled it differently. Upon seeing a kid outside the window of my house, I would not have come out of house with a weapon in hand and ordered him on the ground and told him I would shoot him if he didn't comply. I would have come out and confronted the individual (concealed pistol on body) and assessed the situation from there. If he presented any kind of threat, then I would have drawn my weapon. If he said he was pissing on the side of the house and I could see where he had, I would have let him walk. This may come from having two teenagers myself and knowing they don't think before they act at times.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    About 10:00 AM my dogs were barking like crazy in the side yard, so I opened the bathroom window and there was a face looking at me, not a foot away, grabbed my .44 rushed outside and stopped some guy, I ordered him to get on the ground or I would shoot him, I want you to know that I don't get rattled at times like this
    JAY

    Oh, Jay, after agreeing that you did the right thing and acted with excellent good sense, I plumb forgot our "real" role here!.

    We're supposed to castigate you and make sidebar comments which imply that you lied and made up the whole thing, or are bragging... you know, "cold as ice" nerves and similar, that you didn't get rattled is supposed to be blowing your own horn and stuff.

    I know that others here who are quick to leap didn't thus far see your actions as either false, fabricated, exaggerated, or bragging. So I'll sort of hint at that in lieu of the others who normally do this whenever someone posts a "real world" account.

    It's odd... We spend thread after thread debating self defense preparation, arguing long gun vs handgun and calibers and home defense techniques till we're blue in the face. But the second that someone actually HAS a real situation occur, they're in the doghouse.

    So consider yourself suitably admonished. (ha ha)

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    OK Sam...you've made your point several times...everyone knows how badly you were treated....time to let it go.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Remember Carl Rowan? He shot an unarmed naked boy that had been skinny dipping in his pool, funny how anti gun Rowan was in all his articles, yet he thought it ok to take the so called law into his own hands to use his own words against him.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    OK Sam...you've made your point several times...everyone knows how badly you were treated....time to let it go.....

    Sam is the pitbull of writing and once his jaws lock onto a topic there is no letting go.
    Lol & lulz
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Oh, Jay, after agreeing that you did the right thing and acted with excellent good sense, I plumb forgot our "real" role here!. We're supposed to castigate you .So consider yourself suitably admonished. (ha ha)

    I consider myself castigated, so far I've been patted on the back, told I did right, told I did wrong, keelhauled, backhanded, and praised, but I think I did right, because in the end no one got hurt, I learned something about myself and maybe the kid did also, I hope so. :yesno:

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I consider myself castigated, so far I've been patted on the back, told I did right, told I did wrong, keelhauled, backhanded, and praised, but I think I did right, because in the end no one got hurt, I learned something about myself and maybe the kid did also, I hope so.
    JAY

    A'course I was just poking fun there at the lurkers in this forum, not you, as you understand. Last time I mentioned a near-shooting experience here I was accused of making it up and also told I'd made some goofy comment about being "steely eyed" (I of course never said that but this fact didn't stop the lurker/troll). All because I'd said that during the incident I wasn't nervous or that I felt ramped up. So when you said that you weren't nervous at the time, it was soon to come that the trolls would descent on you, either calling you a liar or accusing you of bragging.

    So I thought I'd provoke a smile by jumping into the fray early.

    As per your account of the incident, as I said previously and as others here agree, you did just right, reacted exactly as made perfect sense. You saw a potential problem and made certain it didn't move beyond that status. After all, the kid COULD have been a thug looking to break into your house and he COULD have been armed. So you did the sensible thing and took steps to halt that and nip it in the bud were it a "real" danger.

    Thankfully the kid was just a dumb kid and not out to do harm (except to your shrubbery, ha ha) and your turning him over to the cops was the right thing. I also agree that your not filing charges was fine. The kid got his scare and hopefully learned his lesson, and believe me, "guilty" or not, having a gun pointed at you makes you strongly consider your past actions.

    So you did exactly the right thing, reacting properly but not overreacting.

    And no, I DO believe it happened and don't need to sniff the foliage to know it's a real account and not "made up" as some think. Duh.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    OK Sam...you've made your point several times...everyone knows how badly you were treated....time to let it go.....

    Oh, I let it go long since. What made me smile was that Jay's account had the point that he wasn't nervous at the time and that reminded me of the same, when I was told I was "steely eyed" when in fact I'd never said anything remotely like it, just that I also wasn't nervous or "scared" during the incident. And so I laughed when someone hinted that Jay's story was partially fabricated and Jay quite properly recommended that person come and "smell the roses" as proof.

    I think it's quite okay if I bring up past threads as examples and really don't need to first run it past a moderator (or "volunteer" moderator) first. An easy solution is just to skip over any of my postings so it won't make you quiver with righteous indignation. Per Monty Python's "Holy Grail" recommendation, "skip ahead brother".

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    After all, the kid COULD have been a thug looking to break into your house and he COULD have been armed. So you did the sensible thing and took steps to halt that and nip it in the bud were it a "real" danger.

    If it were an armed thug that had a hidden accomplice by exiting the house he COULD............ "have been dead"
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,085 Senior Member
    Here's the way I see it Jay. It's easy to play armchair quarterback and, after time to think it through, say I would do it differently. You are even doing that to yourself. The fact is only YOU were there making that split second decision. You acted immediately and decisively and achieved a positive outcome with no shots fired. Hard to argue with that.

    We can say you made a mistake by pointing a firearm at someone who you said you did not think was a threat and maybe that's true. If it is, that's how we ALL learn which is why these discussions are so important. What I think may be the case though is you realized after the fact that the kid was not a threat. You playing armchair quarterback on yourself. In the moment though, you responded the way your perpetration triggered you to. Again, hard to argue with the outcome.

    In the end if anything you thought about or read hear causes you to react differently should the situation present itself again, you are better for it. Each scenario being so different and thankfully rare, these rules may not apply next time. That's why I think home defense is such a tricky game.

    Again, you acted promptly, decisively and kept your wits about you. That right there probably puts you at the top of the class and is the number one reason it ended well. All the other details...second guess them if you want but YOU did the right thing for YOUR situation in THAT moment.

    Keep in mind that this opinion, and probably others, come to you from someone who has never been in that situation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    After all, the kid COULD have been a thug looking to break into your house and he COULD have been armed. So you did the sensible thing and took steps to halt that and nip it in the bud were it a "real" danger.

    If it were an armed thug that had a hidden accomplice by exiting the house he COULD............ "have been dead"

    So, Weatherby, would you have simply fired thru the window at the kid standing there? Or just called the cops? Pray tell what would you have done? Because if you're gonna criticize his actions you must have a better solution, eh?

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    So, Weatherby, would you have simply fired thru the window at the kid standing there? Or just called the cops? Pray tell what would you have done? Because if you're gonna criticize his actions you must have a better solution, eh?
    He kinda stated it on page 2, post 51.

    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?21112-My-house-today&p=385183&viewfull=1#post385183

    I'd say he'd have called 911 and stayed inside.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    It's easy to play armchair quarterback


    No doubt about it, but that is why we have these discussions and why he posted what happened, to get others opinions I would assume. Everyone lives in different parts, If I lived by where I work and this happened to me there, I would probably have done the exact same thing as Jay.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.