Snubbie revolver hmmm.....

Replies

• topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Not enough firepower for me. Maybe as a glove compartment or console gun I'd maybe consider it, not as an EDC.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I would much prefer one of these, thank you;

Mumbai11282008ruger1.jpg

.380/200 Service Six. :up:

Or;

Calibre .380 Ball, Rimmed.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like it. If they ever offer one with .357 Mag and 9mm cylinders I will really like it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,376 Senior Member
    Rumor has it that there is an LCR-like revolver in .45 ACP in the works.....I'll be all over that...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I'm sure it will be a nice little pocket gun, but I'm always a bit questionable about using pistol cartridges in a revolver. Yes, I know all about moon clips but that's an extra step that I prefer to avoid.

I'll stick w. my .357 snubbie instead.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,383 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Rumor has it that there is an LCR-like revolver in .45 ACP in the works.....I'll be all over that...
    Oh. My.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The only revolvers I can carry with confidence that nobody will ever know I'm carrying, especially because I ignore "no weapons" signs everywhere except airports, gov't buildings and hospitals, are the mini revolvers from Charter, NAA, and so forth. Anything larger, at all larger, like Charter Undercovers, J Frame S&W, and Ruger's LCR are just too thick to conceal on my Republican Party body.

But just as I carry a mini revolver everywhere, all the handguns dispersed about my premises and in my car are also revolvers, including snubbies from Charter and S&W. The Ruger is a successful self/car/home defense gun, but I would get it chambered in .357 Magnum. Of course, unported, it's far to small and light to handle that caliber with aplomb, but loading .38 Special +P+ ammo would be a very effective choice. All of that said, if you want a small revolver, it is hard to beat a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. Light recoil, easy handling, and a helluva big-arse bullet works for me. Try to get an older Charter, from the Bridgeport and Stratford days - they're very, very good.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    If I did not already have 2 revolvers that shoot 9mm I'd get one, it is probably better than a non +P .38 spl.

And it it 17 oz vice 13 for the .38 spl version.

.45 acp version
    not for me.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,281 Senior Member

About the only way they could tempt me with that gun..........
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,036 Senior Member
    This one- I want. Right in my wheelhouse. It is the definition of an oddball gun. A polymer frame revolver in an auto-pistol cartridge. Be a good coat pocket gun for the... oh... three? days a year that it is cold enough to bundle up and make the main gun hard to get to.

Good enough reason! Welcome to my short list!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Nice light weight revolver ideal for pocket carry with a pocket holster, for rapid deployment, you are better off with a non magnum caliber with sub two inch barrels, most of the powder is expelled unburned and added blast and felt recoil.
    My idea is to use a very light small SS revolver for fast first strike inconspicous draw from a pocket at very short ranges.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,299 Senior Member
    #1. Moon clips are great for duty/competition where you have pouches for them, but are a PITA for a compact gun. You need some kind of carrying apparatus that keeps the clips from getting bent. I'll stick with rimmed rounds in speed strips.

#2. Revolvers. . .made. . .of. . .plastic. . . HUUUURRRRK!:vomit:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,372 Senior Member
    I think I would acquire one for no other reason than historically, 9mm revolver tend to become collectible. Not to mention saves the hassle of losing all your brass at indoor ranges.

Sako
    Bigslug wrote: »
    #2. Revolvers. . .made. . .of. . .plastic. . . HUUUURRRRK!:vomit:

I felt much the same way until I spent some time with one...liked it enough to buy my own in .38 Special...also found a stash of +P Federal Hydra-Shoks I squirreled away some years back...an acceptable combination (IMHO)when one considers it's intended use....
    I would not worry about reloads with this revolver, it simply is for the fast first shot advantage.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I would not worry about reloads with this revolver, it simply is for the fast first shot advantage.

Exactly...though I do drop an HKS J-Frame speed loader in my pocket...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,303 Senior Member
    Exactly...though I do drop an HKS J-Frame speed loader in my pocket...

...or 3.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I wonder if this thing will shoot without moon clips
    some revolvers using moonclips will and some will not.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    Just doesn't do anything for me :nono:

Is it a good gun? possibly. Am I interested in owning one? Not in the least
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,383 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I wonder if this thing will shoot without moon clips
    some revolvers using moonclips will and some will not.
    From what I read... yes.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,036 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    You need some kind of carrying apparatus that keeps the clips from getting bent.

I keep hearing that, but I have been pocket carrying moonclips fro my 325PD for YEARS, and never had an issue. I think that is one of those old saws that people just accept as fact, even though they have never seen it happen.

BTW, I had a speed strip fail when the pull tab ripped off of it in a reload.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    From what I read... yes.
    Then you could carry a 9mm mag in your pocket for a reload and a pencil if you need a second reload.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that, but I have been pocket carrying moonclips fro my 325PD for YEARS, and never had an issue. I think that is one of those old saws that people just accept as fact, even though they have never seen it happen.

BTW, I had a speed strip fail when the pull tab ripped off of it in a reload.
    The only problem I have had with moonclips bending is with half moonclips and that was when removing the spent cases.
    I carry them in pocket or belly pack.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I have had a couple full moonies bend slightly outta shape which would make the cylinder hard to rotate, never any issues with 1/2 moon or 1/3 moon that holds two rounds.

I test them by dropping them in loaded and shutting the cylinder. Any bent ones will be for range only.

My 625 came with just a few 1/2 moon clips (as the original revolvers had in WWI) and I got extras from ranch Products and a removal tool. Ones that hold just two rounds need no tool to remove and I guess you could top off after you fire two shots.

Of course having a few loaded full moons in your pocket makes for a quick reload with built in speed loaders.

I've heard/read the clips called "Pesky" but they are why it makes the .45 ACP DA revolvers so unique and fun to own and shoot in my my way of thunking.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Unless you are soldier on the battlefield, it is doubtful in most ordinary personal defense encounters that you will need to re-load your revolver.
    That is not to say do not have the means to re-load, however when I used revolvers exclusively, I usually carried two of the same caliber, same speed loader.

I still like revolvers for personal defense, prefer older S&W revolvers.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I have had a couple full moonies bend slightly outta shape which would make the cylinder hard to rotate, never any issues with 1/2 moon or 1/3 moon that holds two rounds.

I test them by dropping them in loaded and shutting the cylinder. Any bent ones will be for range only.

My 625 came with just a few 1/2 moon clips (as the original revolvers had in WWI) and I got extras from ranch Products and a removal tool. Ones that hold just two rounds need no tool to remove and I guess you could top off after you fire two shots.

Of course having a few loaded full moons in your pocket makes for a quick reload with built in speed loaders.

I've heard/read the clips called "Pesky" but they are why it makes the .45 ACP DA revolvers so unique and fun to own and shoot in my my way of thunking.
    get your moonclips from the sportsmansguide----real steel
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    get your moonclips from the sportsmansguide----real steel

I think Ranch Products are NN, it takes a lot to bend one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,900 Senior Member
    FWIW

The 9mm in a snubbie is about the best compromise between length, power and size in my opinion.

A 9mm will make between 220 and 340 FPE from a 2 inch barrel. Compared to a .38 special +p or .357, they come in between 120 and 320 FPE. The .45 ACP and .44 magnum make excellent short barreled rounds from the standpoint of energy, but they are not very controllable in a two inch barrel platform. The .40 S&W and 10 mm will make between 300 and 400 fpe, but again at the price of controllability.

The Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124 gr in the 9mm platform is about 325 FPE, enough to make some real damage! Even from a 2 inch barrel it is still traveling better than 1050 fps. The 135 gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in the S&W 642 makes about 240 FPE and travels at near 900 FPS.

( Source material: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html )

I frequently carry a S&W 431 pd because it has 6 rounds of Georgia Arms H&R magnums that make 275 FPE, better than a .38 special and one more round than a 642. The only downside I see is it is 5 round gun.

I like the new Ruger.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The Ruger is a cool looking weapon for a hide away. The 9mm has proven to be a good defense round. If you need to reload in most shooting situations you have the wrong weapon in the wrong place. People that look easy are preyed on by bad guys. An eighty year old woman that pulls and shoots an aggressor won't need to reload in most cases. Multiple bad guys will depart when the first one is hit by a round. If one of them shoots you it was just not your day. In combat large ammo supply is necessary on question but personal defense not so much. IMHO :yesno: :deadhorse: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Did someone say snubbie and moon clips?

126_2646.jpg
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain