Good hunting bullets for elk

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    That was back in 2006 when I shot her
    200 grain Wildcat (Rebated boat-tail, Ultra Low-Drag hunting bullet). You guessed it, a custom bullet.
    With it I would typically shoot around 1/4-1/2 minute groups at 600 yards on paper with no sighters off of the bi-pod.
    Fried that Lilja barrel:nono:
    I have another blank for another 7 Dak, but don't have a platform for it at the moment:blah:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    That was back in 2006 when I shot her

Yeah, I was gonna say you looked MUCH younger.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    When I shave my mustache it gives me that "Younger Look.":blah:
    Can you grow facial hair yet:uhm:
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Yeah, I was gonna say you looked MUCH younger.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...shooting 'em right thru the point of the shoulder to anchor 'em is a good idea, when I miss & blow up both front shoulders, I can justify it w/ "anchorin' 'em"...:buff:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    When I shave my mustache it gives me that "Younger Look.":blah:
    Can you grow facial hair yet:uhm:

:roll2::spittingcoffee::rotflmao::cool2:

Hey, Ernie, that was a great shot, thanks for the pictures and I know why you were tired by the time you got to the cow. Good stuff indeed. :beer:
    When I shave my mustache it gives me that "Younger Look.":blah:Can you grow facial hair yet:uhm:
    Why yes, yes I can. Mine even still has some color to it besides just.......grey. ;-)
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Why yes, yes I can. Mine even still has some color to it besides just.......grey. ;-)

Now that was a great response :buff:
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member

zing! lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    On deer and hogs I have had good luck on high shots above the shoulder, between the top of the shoulder and the spine. This will usually put em down DRT or Bang Flop as it wreaks havoc on their central nervous system. There legs have no feeling left to run. But the problem with this shot is if you get a little too far back you can also Wreak Havoc on some good back strap and tenderloin meat. The more forward you hit em the better it is anyway. It ruins their day.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yes son, I have grey in my mustache.
    Oh, wait a minute, I am too young to have a son as old as you:devil:
    I am sure the grey is creeping in, time is not on your side:devil:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Gray? Did you say GRAY? I wish mine were gray, at least gray is a color.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    yea but WHITE is very distinguishing! Makes you look like someone who might own a chain of fried chicken joints
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Yeah well thanks Dan, LOL I needed that, because mine went from blonde to gray to White in about 5 years!
    :bang::driving::rotflmao:
    Yes son, I have grey in my mustache.
    Oh, wait a minute, I am too young to have a son as old as you:devil:
    I am sure the grey is creeping in, time is not on your side:devil:

I didn't have any grey hair until Iraq. I was proud of my last stache. Had it until Wambli burned it off a few years ago.
    Amazing how certain stressful and uncertain environments can change us as they do. Hey, how did Wambi burn off the stache????
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    I would work up loads for both the 140 gr Barnes TTSX and the 150 gr Nosler Partition, then go with whichever was most accurate.
    Power Pro 2000-MR or Reloader 17 powders are great for these weight bullets in 7mm-08.

Either way, high shoulder shot, elk DRT, no tracking, life is good!
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    I would work up loads for both the 140 gr Barnes TTSX and the 150 gr Nosler Partition, then go with whichever was most accurate.
    Power Pro 2000-MR or Reloader 17 powders are great for these weight bullets in 7mm-08.

Either way, high shoulder shot, elk DRT, no tracking, life is good!

...interesting choices, I don't think I would actually "plan" on shooting heavy bone w/ either one, myself, but that's just my experience...
  • pecos flatspecos flats New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You know, I still have 35-40 of those in .277 150 grains. My son gave em to me. He said on these white tail around here they're not worth a damn because they go right through the deer without hardly expanding. They sound like they would be an excellent Elk bullet. I was thinking of buying 100 for the Colorado Forum elk hunt. For smaller not so tough game, I use either Hornady Interlock or mainly Sierra Game Kings. They kill.

I'm not surprised your son cursed the 150-grain Grand Slam in regard to performance on deer. He was using a heavy for caliber bullet made for elk/moose/black bear size game. The "150-grain" Grand Slam did exactly what it was intended to do.

On the other hand, if your son would have used the 130-grain Grand Slam on deer, I'm sure he'd have praised it to the skies and kept most for himself. Not to mention, if he'd used the 150-grainers on elk.

This appears to be a simple case of the wrong weight for the quarry. Your son's negative experience would happen with any premium made bullet when using too heavy of weight for deer sized game.
2»