Extra deadness...

24

Replies

  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,024 Senior Member
    More Deader
    You don't know why it bothers you?
    BPsniper wrote: »
    The one phrase I see on this forum that bugs the piss out of me and makes me want to stomp a baby.........."Bang Flop". I don't know why, but I just find that phrase irksome. Go figure.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    makes me want to stomp a baby.....Go figure.

    No I can't figure, why?????
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Because there is no comma between the 2 words??
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    The one phrase I see on this forum that bugs the piss out of me and makes me want to stomp a baby.........."Bang Flop". I don't know why, but I just find that phrase irksome. Go figure.

    I'm guilty of it's use.........but only when it happens that way...actually it should have a coma...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    More Deader
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I think Rob Reiner gave us the correct answer way back in 1986:
    Beat me to it..............:worthy:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    The one phrase I see on this forum that bugs the piss out of me and makes me want to stomp a baby.........."Bang Flop". I don't know why, but I just find that phrase irksome. Go figure.

    I've put some thought into this this afternoon.....

    Would "Boom, Flop" be better?
    or maybe "Crrrraaaacccckkkkk, Flop?"
    or perhaps the suppressed version..."Pfffttt, Flop"...

    anything to succor your angst......we ARE here to please...:hug:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Over Kill apparently has become passe. If it's worth killing, it's worth over killing.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Extra Deadness
    rapier5316 wrote: »
    Over Kill apparently has become passe. If it's worth killing, it's worth over killing.

    Beautifully put!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    anything to succor your angst......we ARE here to please...:hug:

    There are sooooo many places to go with that......
    Must.......resist............the.............temptation...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    rapier5316 wrote: »
    Over Kill apparently has become passe. If it's worth killing, it's worth over killing.

    I shot Prairie Dogs with a .45-70 once...it was..............................uhhhhh......what am I trying to say?..........oh yeah....FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    There are sooooo many places to go with that......
    Must.......resist............the.............temptation...........

    Your fly is open there Kiwi.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Because there is no comma between the 2 words??

    Well, that would depend somewhat on the method used:

    A .22LR would be more likely to leave a commatical pause (how's THAT for a made-up term?) between the "BANG" and the "FLOP". Sort of a "BANG. . .:silly:. . .FLOP".

    Now a 3" 12 gauge, 12-pellet load of 00 would best be expressed as a "BANGFLOP", in that there isn't even time to fit a hyphen in there. . . unless you count the sounds made by the various lesser giblets as they slowly unstick themselves from the walls.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Now a 3" 12 gauge, 12-pellet load of 00 would best be expressed as a "BANGFLOP", in that there isn't even time to fit a hyphen in there. . . unless you count the sounds made by the various lesser giblets as they slowly unstick themselves from the walls.
    Sorta like "BANGFLOP....plop....plop,plop.......plop..................................plop"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    More Deader
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I've put some thought into this this afternoon.....

    Would "Boom, Flop" be better?
    or maybe "Crrrraaaacccckkkkk, Flop?"
    or perhaps the suppressed version..."Pfffttt, Flop"...

    anything to succor your angst......we ARE here to please...:hug:

    I appreciate you toiling over this consternation in your new found freedom of retirement. Trouble is, I think it has more to do with the second word than the first. Maybe that the two words don't flow smoothly. Or that a dying subject doesn't actually make the sound of a 'flop' when they hit the ground. Yes, I think that's it. The word 'flop' really has no relation to the circumstances at hand. It doesn't fit. A tiniest sort of word.

    Perhaps this will best explain how I feel about the phrase.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo&feature=related
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well, that would depend somewhat on the method used:

    A .22LR would be more likely to leave a commatical pause (how's THAT for a made-up term?) between the "BANG" and the "FLOP". Sort of a "BANG. . .:silly:. . .FLOP".

    Now a 3" 12 gauge, 12-pellet load of 00 would best be expressed as a "BANGFLOP", in that there isn't even time to fit a hyphen in there. . . unless you count the sounds made by the various lesser giblets as they slowly unstick themselves from the walls.

    I guess that means a 270 would go ............
    BANG.....................f................
    BANG..............fl.............
    BANG.............flo............
    BANG............flop..............
    BANG................flop

    Unless cpj was on the trigger........then it would go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG............FLOP
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    More Deader
    orchidman wrote: »
    Unless cpj was on the trigger........then it would go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG............FLOP

    Well played.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,024 Senior Member
    More Deader
    What would be a good word or phrase then?
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Or that a dying subject doesn't actually make the sound of a 'flop' when they hit the ground. Yes, I think that's it. The word 'flop' really has no relation to the circumstances at hand. It doesn't fit.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I appreciate you toiling over this consternation in your new found freedom of retirement. Trouble is, I think it has more to do with the second word than the first. Maybe that the two words don't flow smoothly. Or that a dying subject doesn't actually make the sound of a 'flop' when they hit the ground. Yes, I think that's it. The word 'flop' really has no relation to the circumstances at hand. It doesn't fit. A tiniest sort of word.

    Perhaps this will best explain how I feel about the phrase.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo&feature=related

    You know, I can't believe I set through that and I determined that it is not any clearer than before HOW you really feel about Bang Flop, I mean your explanation is a FLOP!!!!!! YOU KNOW SINCE YOU DON'T LIKE THE WORD FLOP :that::jester::spittingcoffee:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Extra Deadness
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I'm guilty of it's use.........but only when it happens that way...actually it should have a coma...

    "Bang-Flop!" Here I fixed it fur ya! Now is that better?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Extra Deadness
    orchidman wrote: »
    I guess that means a 270 would go ............
    BANG.....................f................
    BANG..............fl.............
    BANG.............flo............
    BANG............flop..............
    BANG................flop

    Unless cpj was on the trigger........then it would go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG............FLOP

    Yeah but just think about all that practice he's gettin'!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Extra Deadness
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I appreciate you toiling over this consternation in your new found freedom of retirement. Trouble is, I think it has more to do with the second word than the first. Maybe that the two words don't flow smoothly. Or that a dying subject doesn't actually make the sound of a 'flop' when they hit the ground. Yes, I think that's it. The word 'flop' really has no relation to the circumstances at hand. It doesn't fit. A tiniest sort of word.

    Perhaps this will best explain how I feel about the phrase.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo&feature=related

    Yeah, but they're not supposed to flow smoothly together. It's a moment of violence. "BANG!!!" then "FLOP!!!" This is not a smooth flowing moment in time. Think about the poor animal, is he feeling smooth flowing at this point? Only smoothly flowing to the ground in a pool of his own blood. Such violence should be banned. "NOT!!!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    More Deader
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah, but they're not supposed to flow smoothly together. It's a moment of violence. "BANG!!!" then "FLOP!!!" This is not a smooth flowing moment in time. Think about the poor animal, is he feeling smooth flowing at this point?

    Somehow I'm failing to associate the word 'flop' with the level of violence you seek. Not a very violent sort of word. Leaves one......wanting.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Extra Deadness
    God, you're picky! How can I please you. It troubles me to think such a trivial word is troubling you. To me FLOP can be very violent. But remember flop is a good word. It's what we want our target to do when hit, just flop down on the ground, FLOP! Shortly after that other word, BANG! To me the really dumb term is DRT!
    Dead right there? Where is right there? It could be 300 yards away, Right There! Por Aya! I much prefer Bang-Flop, it's violent enough for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    More Deader
    snake284 wrote: »
    God, you're picky! How can I please you.

    How about plain English?

    "He dropped at the shot."
    "At the shot, the deer fell to the ground kicking."
    "The deer crumbled on the spot."
    "The man slumped to the floor."
    "I pulled the trigger and the deer simply fell over."

    Any of those will do. Why are we trying to be violent in our description? It's not like we are firing anything that throws our quarry back ten feet. They aren't thrown to the ground. They simply drop, fall, slump, slip, sink, crumble, tip over, collapse, buckle, topple, fold up, take a header, hit the dirt, keel over, nose dive, go down, drop down, plummet, perish, and DIE.

    So maybe it isn't just the word, 'flop'. Because I guess, in the grand scheme of things, they could 'flop' to the ground. I guess it's just the combination of the words bang and flop as a description, "It was a bang flop." Just doesn't look right or sound right. Maybe the hyphen would help. In any event, it just sounds stupid to me.

    :popcorn:
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I shot Prairie Dogs with a .45-70 once...it was..............................uhhhhh......what am I trying to say?..........oh yeah....FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!

    :spittingcoffee: :rotflmao:

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Unless cpj was on the trigger........then it would go BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG............FLOP

    Not jumping on the tormenting of CPJ here, but that post gets me thinking. . .

    What if we were speaking in WWI or Guadalcanal terms where you are repelling a human wave attack with a belt-fed machinegun? It's entirely possible that your first "BANG" would generate a "FLOP", but you might have 3-4 additional rounds downrange before the flop actually occurs.

    How would one properly express that? Something to the tune of The Chicken Dance, maybe:

    BANGABANGABANGA FLOP. BANGABANGABANGA FLOP. BANGABANGABANGA FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    How would one properly express that? Something to the tune of The Chicken Dance, maybe:

    BANGABANGABANGA FLOP. BANGABANGABANGA FLOP. BANGABANGABANGA FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP.

    Bigslug, stop, you're killing me! :spittingcoffee:

    I'll never hear that stupid song the same way ever again.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Somehow I'm failing to associate the word 'flop' with the level of violence you seek. Not a very violent sort of word. Leaves one......wanting.

    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!! Now I understand and actually have to agree that flop just does not get it when it comes to violence. When I shoot something with my 300Win Mag it shakes the snot out of them and when I hit them with my 358Win they just fall like a house of cards. I guess my catch all is Dead Right There (DRT) OR for the sake of this thread "ADRT" (ABSOLUTELY DEAD RIGHT THERE)
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    Now hear this.....Now hear this...since "flop" is seems to be the issue...from this time forward, the Shrub friendly term will be "Bang - Thump".. In the case of larger game that actually shakes the ground as it falls (because of sheer size (elephants, cape buffalo, etc...) or proximity (so close you actually feel or sense the impact) "Bang - Thud"...That is all...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Now hear this.....Now hear this...since "flop" is seems to be the issue...from this time forward, the Shrub friendly term will be "Bang - Thump".. In the case of larger game that actually shakes the ground as it falls (because of sheer size (elephants, cape buffalo, etc...) or proximity (so close you actually feel or sense the impact) "Bang - Thud"...That is all...

    :beer::punch::beer:
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.