Extra deadness...

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Now hear this.....Now hear this...since "flop" is seems to be the issue...from this time forward, the Shrub friendly term will be "Bang - Thump".. In the case of larger game that actually shakes the ground as it falls (because of sheer size (elephants, cape buffalo, etc...) or proximity (so close you actually feel or sense the impact) "Bang - Thud"...That is all...

Wouldnt it then be BANG WHOMP THUD???
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    No!!! "bang shhhrrruuuuuubbbbbb thud" :jester:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,951 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Wouldnt it then be BANG WHOMP THUD???

I see the topic remains open for discussion... smileys.gif
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    I refer you to the OP..............

wildgene wrote: »
    ...since "proper terminology" is so important on this forum, this issue needs to be settled!!!

Besides.......its all 'Bush's' ( or should that be 'Shrub's') fault.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    More Deader
    "From a place you cannot see comes a sound you will not hear." If that's true that it doesn't really matter does it? :uhm: Kinda a tree falling in the forest type of situation
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    More Deader
    pardog wrote: »
    "From a place you cannot see comes a sound you will not hear." If that's true that it doesn't really matter does it? :uhm: Kinda a tree falling in the forest type of situation

Indubitably.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    More Deader
    Now hear this.....Now hear this...since "flop" is seems to be the issue...from this time forward, the Shrub friendly term will be "Bang - Thump".. In the case of larger game that actually shakes the ground as it falls (because of sheer size (elephants, cape buffalo, etc...) or proximity (so close you actually feel or sense the impact) "Bang - Thud"...That is all...

How about:

hesdeadjimmacro.jpg
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    tumblr_limgc1UbOQ1qe0eclo1_r8_500.gif
    More Deader
    Don't like that one, huh?
    More Deader
    So what's your point, Sally? Still don't like it. "imoit:
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    More Deader
    Good thread, fellas! I'm new here but my .02: I always liked Pondoro Taylor's use of "crumple", as in "it crumples lion nicely."

As for the poll, I vote "more deader." After all, we wouldn't want THEM not to think we're all hicks, it might make their heads explode!"
    More Deader
    Now we're talking! Crumple is a good word. Very 'woody'! See guys, it takes bringing in fresh blood to finally have someone with brains of my 'caliber'.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Now we're talking! Crumple is a good word. Very 'woody'! See guys, it takes bringing in fresh blood to finally have someone with brains of my 'caliber'.

OHhhhooooo how that pains me, makes my head hurt!!!!! Very woody!!!!! Crumple!!!!! MORE DEADER!!!!! GUYS REALLY!!!! NO SUCH THING AS MORE DEADER OR EXTRA DEADNESS!!!! Man what university did we graduate from????? DEAD is DEAD, that's it, no such thing as MORE DEADER OR EXTRA DEADNESS accept in someone's imagination on this forum. Talk about hick's ville. Nope, I am not falling for it, DEAD IS DEAD that is it!!!!!!!! Man this pole drove me crazy! :devil::angel::hand::uhm::nono::buff:
    More Deader
    You, of all people, not choosing flowery words to over exaggerate something!? Say it ain't so! You are the kings of exaggerated speech. Right?
    You, of all people, not choosing flowery words to over exaggerate something!? Say it ain't so! You are the kings of exaggerated speech. Right?

Absolutely have not over exaggerated anything, but somethings are just not so and even being the king of choosing as you say flowery words I don't recall over exaggerating anything, but I do enhance my my illustrations with color, :jester: but I would never use in anything I wrote MORE DEAD or EXTRA DEADNESS, that is over exaggeration, it goes beyond reality, it is has no meaning except to put emphasis on how you feel about something that is already DEAD and you wish was DEAD all over again, which it can't be. DEAD IS JUST DEAD, THAT'S IT!!! :angel:

HE'S DEAD JIM - NOW I LIKE THAT
    More Deader
    And a boob job is just an enhancement of the original product, right. No exaggeration there.
    And a boob job is just an enhancement of the original product, right. No exaggeration there.

OH now you are getting ugly :devil: what boob job??? :uhm: :jester: you can't detract from the point by making this personal come on, where is your since of humor :chill:
    More Deader
    What, you can't hear the humor in my voice?
    What, you can't hear the humor in my voice?

Sorry I missed the humor of your words but I did not hear your voice. Now you got to admit that was good:guns:
    Don't like that one, huh?

We're talking about graphic degrees of dead here (notice how tactfully I ignore Beartrackers "dead is dead" rant (sorry bear...no offense intended)) Now "crumple" has some definite possibilities, but only as an intermediary between the report of the rifle and the sound of the critter hitting the ground. "Crumpling" is the manner in which the critter folds up AS he falls down... hence we would have "Bang, crumple, thud (or thump)"....awkward...very awkward....the problem though is that not all critters crumple...some stiffen up and just tip over...
    More Deader
    I have yet to hear the sound of an animal hitting the ground. So, in light of that, a word describing the action of decent seems more appropriate than describing the sound of impact.
    I have yet to hear the sound of an animal hitting the ground. So, in light of that, a word describing the action of decent seems more appropriate than describing the sound of impact.

You're quibbling now...we're creating a literary description for the benefit of those who weren't there...I wingshot an incoming large gobbler once...lemme tell you...that old boy "thumped" when he hit the ground, you could feel the impact...(I had to sidestep or I would have shared the impact)...but yet he did "crumple" in flight...sucker just maintained his trajectory...
    More Deader
    See, now you're comparing an animal flight to an animal standing on terra firma. Of course the bird in the air will have a greater 'impact' sound. They're higher up! I've seen and heard dove bounce off the ground. Deer don't bounce. Stick to the action, not the impact. More descriptive as you can actually SEE the result. Not assume the sound. Facts, man! Facts!!!
    We're talking about graphic degrees of dead here (notice how tactfully I ignore Beartrackers "dead is dead" rant (sorry bear...no offense intended))

No offense taken, I like your explanation, "graphic degrees of dead" so I concede my rant and loose this debate :beer:
    Facts, man! Facts!!!

Interesting :uhm::uhm:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    See, now you're comparing an animal flight to an animal standing on terra firma. Of course the bird in the air will have a greater 'impact' sound. They're higher up! I've seen and heard dove bounce off the ground. Deer don't bounce. Stick to the action, not the impact. More descriptive as you can actually SEE the result. Not assume the sound. Facts, man! Facts!!!

Well... in that case I respectfully submit "BANG, TUMBLE" LOL

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Somehow "BANG, FALL DOWN" lacks something...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,106 Senior Member
    Now "crumple" has some definite possibilities

I don't care for crumple at all. Beer cans and potato chip bags get crumpled, not game. Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    More Deader
    ...you guys are getting way off topic, the OP was to determine "proper scientific notation for terminal ballistics", as in,

"While a .270 & 7mmRM will both crumple deer DRT w/ proper bullet selection/ placement, the 7mmRM will kill them much 'More Deader' "...