Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Hundreds of Colorado students protest history curriculum changes that would promote p

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/24/hundreds-colorado-students-protest-proposed-history-curriculum-changes/

"ARVADA, Colo. – Hundreds of students walked out of classrooms around suburban Denver on Tuesday in protest over a conservative-led school board proposal to focus history education on topics that promote citizenship, patriotism and respect for authority, in a show of civil disobedience that the new standards would aim to downplay."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    This is over a draft that wasn't acted upon. It was tabled. The problem is the teachers union that lost the last election. Now in their mind it is time to treat the new majority board members like Scott Walker. Push "polls", meeting disruption, sick outs, using kids as political pawns, etc. I am disgusted that I was ever a member.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Seems to me this type curriculum it is exactly what these kids need to be learning about.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,763 Senior Member
    Can't say I disagree with 'em. History classes should be history classes with no agenda other than to teach history. What REALLY needs to be taught is a OBJECTIVITY - the importance of NOT heavily applying your own morals - which themselves are formed by YOUR place in history - to judge the actions of folks who had a completely different set of problems to deal with. If you want to let someone else mold your mind like a lump of Silly Putty, take the philosophy class. . . or attend pep rallies.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,466 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Can't say I disagree with 'em. History classes should be history classes with no agenda other than to teach history. What REALLY needs to be taught is a OBJECTIVITY - the importance of NOT heavily applying your own morals - which themselves are formed by YOUR place in history - to judge the actions of folks who had a completely different set of problems to deal with. If you want to let someone else mold your mind like a lump of Silly Putty, take the philosophy class. . . or attend pep rallies.

This is fine and dandy, but I assure you, the teachers and the teachers union have an agenda, Dr. db is correct, we see it even in our little burb.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    All the students that left and didn't want to be taught reality should have been given applications to McDonalds and Walmart along with a #2 pencil so they could plan for the future. :hand: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What's wrong with teaching history by telling the truth? The whole idea that events of the past can be erased by lying about what happened is the foundation of the "progressive" movement. The winners of battles write the after-action report, that's true, but at least some effort should be made to accurately document what's going on in the present so future generations can profit from our mistakes. Presenting a falsified, cleaned-up, or politically correct version of history does a disservice to everyone. How many kids know that Abraham Lincoln wanted to solve the slavery problem by sending all the blacks back to Africa, or that he tried to have the entire Supreme Court arrested for disagreeing with him? Can anyone else remember Dwight Eisenhower's response to a crisis in Lebanon in the late 1950's? Hint- - - - -thousands of US troops appeared there overnight, handled the problem, and left in a matter of weeks. Lebanon is one of the more stable middle eastern nations now- - - -not a lot to brag about, but it's certainly not the chaotic mess some of the other countries are! John Kennedy's betrayal of the Bay of Pigs fighters by withholding the air support they were promised resulted in a 50-year run of communism 90 miles from our southern border, and untold numbers of crises that have been a direct result of the actions of the Castro regime. Once those of us with memories of those situations are gone, they will simply disappear from general knowledge, thanks to people who rewrite the textbooks!
    Jerry
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    That's why we had Civics classes and history classes......not the same topics.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    This is fine and dandy, but I assure you, the teachers and the teachers union have an agenda, Dr. db is correct, we see it even in our little burb.

Misconceptions about the whole education system abound. I don't know how Colorado works but I have a few friends and relatives that teach in Wisconsin and Michigan and I live with a woman who has been teaching in Florida for 35 years. Debbie has three degrees and has taught seniors for around 20 years and has been teaching sixth graders for around 11 years now and she currently teaches social studies and history. I get to hear firsthand about all the problems with how the system is and I have to admit that I also had a lot of misconceptions about how the system worked. I'm going to over simplify a bit but I don't care to type out some long winded disertation but the facts are the same. Teachers have very little input anymore as to the content of the curriculums that they have to teach. Administrators and politicians put that together and the teachers don't even have much flexibility on the material that they have to present to the students. The FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) is based on the curriculum that the teachers are forced to follow and the teachers evaluations and consequently pay is based on how well their students do on the exams. This affects each school's rating and budgets also. I get to hear constant complaints about "the teacher wants my kid to do this or that and it's stupid" but in reality the teacher is not the one calling the shots.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    All the students that left and didn't want to be taught reality should have been given applications to McDonalds and Walmart along with a #2 pencil so they could plan for the future. :hand: Later,

They wouldn't have time to work at $15 an hour jobs. They'd be busy texting on their smartphones about prepping for the next Occupy protest.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    I always thought the FCAT system Florida has is just plain STUPID!! They just teach what's on the test, and the better the results for the school district, the more money they get.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    I was just talking with a Army Recruiter today. She said that they have young people lined up to join the Military these days, but many of them as in close to half in South Florida are not able to pass the ASVAB.

She said that while recruiting in Wisconsin, almost everyone passed the test.

Makes me wonder what are they really teaching our kids today??
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I did good on my ASVAB back in the 70s, except I didn't know of all the good MOSs available to me. The recruiter didn't tell me that I qualified for all of them in the book. El genius (me) picked 11 Delta Calvary Scout, fun at first, but no future skills in it.

Worked out well, reenlisted for a missile field, got into maintenance and the rest is history, as they say.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Misconceptions about the whole education system abound. I don't know how Colorado works but I have a few friends and relatives that teach in Wisconsin and Michigan and I live with a woman who has been teaching in Florida for 35 years. Debbie has three degrees and has taught seniors for around 20 years and has been teaching sixth graders for around 11 years now and she currently teaches social studies and history. I get to hear firsthand about all the problems with how the system is and I have to admit that I also had a lot of misconceptions about how the system worked. I'm going to over simplify a bit but I don't care to type out some long winded disertation but the facts are the same. Teachers have very little input anymore as to the content of the curriculums that they have to teach. Administrators and politicians put that together and the teachers don't even have much flexibility on the material that they have to present to the students. The FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) is based on the curriculum that the teachers are forced to follow and the teachers evaluations and consequently pay is based on how well their students do on the exams. This affects each school's rating and budgets also. I get to hear constant complaints about "the teacher wants my kid to do this or that and it's stupid" but in reality the teacher is not the one calling the shots.

I don't disagree with you at all, the problem is these mandates have to be followed or there goes your funding, you get a couple of folks with tenure that decide they don' have to do this crap and now there is a pissing match with teachers winding up students and local folks talking at school board meetings that have no clue how the school got to this point and blaming "the administration" while on their soap boxes and social media until there is nothing but damage control going on and putting out fires instead of teaching kids. MN usually has a higher than average score on national tests and our local scores are higher than MN's averages and people STILL complain. People like to complain. Everyone one wants to tell the school board and the administration how to do their jobs but no one wants to run for school board and figure out how the system works.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The system works by forcing the local school administrators to line up with their hands out for their share of federal money with their lips puckered up just right to fit the backsides of the politicians who dole out the dollars. Lord help the school board member who puts real education ahead of political butt-kissing and loses a few federal grants!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    The system works by forcing the local school administrators to line up with their hands out for their share of federal money with their lips puckered up just right to fit the backsides of the politicians who dole out the dollars. Lord help the school board member who puts real education ahead of political butt-kissing and loses a few federal grants!
    Jerry

Our local politicians are never thrilled with our school board members at their town hall meetings, they get testy.