Home Main Category General Firearms

Building a gun... Awesome.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,577 Senior Member
As my YouTube expeditions continue, I ran across instructional video for making your own personally constructed AK rifle from a receiver flat and a parts kit. I've known about this for years but I have never watched videos about it--awesome! With some basic sheet metal knowledge/tools and a small spot welder you can essentially construct your own AK. Pretty cool.

So then I got to searching more and found another gun you can construct from a receiver flat that you form into a firearm receiver.. MP5, G3, G33 and so on... We'll those videos exist too... So awesome. Build a MP5 pistol and attach a Sig brace to it... Yummy.

Not a very informative thread, just some cool vids to watch and maybe get some ideas.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Why not build a real rifle from scratch? Parker-Hale Mauser receiver castngs for $29.95! I've got 10 or them.

    phcasting.jpg

    http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_36&products_id=473&zenid=f1a645f7d9905567a6fae0d26d3fd110

    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Why not build a real rifle from scratch? Parker-Hale Mauser receiver castngs for $29.95! I've got 10 or them.

    phcasting.jpg

    http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_36&products_id=473&zenid=f1a645f7d9905567a6fae0d26d3fd110

    Jerry

    I'm not forgetting the milled receiver guys... I just have no room in the garage or wallet for the machinery required to finish one of those. If I did, I would LOVE to make something from one of those!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The first one only costs about $10K to build. After that, the cost comes down considerably! The really nice part is they don't need a serial number.
    :tooth:
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The first one only costs about $10K to build. After that, the cost comes down considerably! The really nice part is they don't need a serial number.
    :tooth:
    Jerry

    1 - $10,000
    2 - $5,000
    3 - $3,333
    4 - $2,500
    5 - $2,000
    ...
    ...
    ...
    8 - $1,250
    9 - $1,111
    10 - $1,000

    Not seeing a cheap rifle even if you make ten of them... Lol :tooth:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The first one only costs about $10K to build. After that, the cost comes down considerably! The really nice part is they don't need a serial number.
    :tooth:
    Jerry

    The AK's built from the flats need no serial numbers either. Me like.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Or:
    Yugo Mauser Doner Action-Approx. $300
    Timney Sporter Trigger-$65
    Beuler Style Safety-$40
    Bend Bolt and other gun smith fees-Approx.$220
    Boyd’s Classic Stock(Unfinished)-Approx. $100.00
    Shilen Barrel Fitted-Approx. $500.
    Total Including drilled and tapped for scope $1225
    And the services of a good and reasonable gun smith
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Or:
    Yugo Mauser Doner Action-Approx. $300
    Timney Sporter Trigger-$65
    Beuler Style Safety-$40
    Bend Bolt and other gun smith fees-Approx.$220
    Boyd’s Classic Stock(Unfinished)-Approx. $100.00
    Shilen Barrel Fitted-Approx. $500.
    Total Including drilled and tapped for scope $1225
    Embarassment cos you built it in 270 cal...........Priceless!


    Fify
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Fify

    Wrongo Alec. A .270s too long for the Yugo action without some modifications to the magazine. And for the price I gave here I don't think you could have those modifications. So the .270 wouldn't be considered.

    Now maybe a nice wildcat based on the 57mm case, ah yes, the .270x57! Now there's an idea...

    :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    There used to be instructional books on how to build a Sten gun, or Mac 10 from scratch.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    There used to be instructional books on how to build a Sten gun, or Mac 10 from scratch.

    JAY

    Yeah, you can pick up 80% STEN receivers at Home Depot, aisle 9.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The "Liberator" pistol that was air dropped to French resistance fighters in WW II had a frame made of folded sheet metal and acetyline-welded together. It was a single shot that fired .45 ACP ammo and had spare ammo stored in the handgrip. It came with a a wooden dowel rod to eject spent cases. The guns were manufactured by General Motors' Delco "Guide" division, that normally made headlamps for cars!

    liberator-zip-gun.jpg

    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The "Liberator" pistol that was air dropped to French resistance fighters in WW II had a frame made of folded sheet metal and acetyline-welded together. It was a single shot that fired .45 ACP ammo and had spare ammo stored in the handgrip. It came with a a wooden dowel rod to eject spent cases. The guns were manufactured by General Motors' Delco "Guide" division, that normally made headlamps for cars!

    liberator-zip-gun.jpg

    Jerry

    I wonder how many Schnitzel Chompers got whacked with one of those.

    Think the recoil is worse than your AMT Backup?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Vintage Ordnance is making those again. Too bad they want 6 freaking hundred bucks for one!

    https://www.vintageordnance.com/
    Too bad they don't sell them for $150 (still too much-- but at least reasonable). I wouldn't mind one for giggles.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Yeah, you can pick up 80% STEN receivers at Home Depot, aisle 9.

    I like the 80% Sten receivers that are sold by the local auto parts places.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I like the 80% Sten receivers that are sold by the local auto parts places in 10-foot lengths.

    FIFY
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I like the 80% Sten receivers that are sold by the local auto parts places in 10-foot lengths.
    Teach wrote: »
    FIFY
    Jerry

    Well, that is so you can mass produce them! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I like the 80% Sten receivers that are sold by the local auto parts places.

    This took me longer to figure out than I care to admit. I was thinking for a good five minutes trying to determine what you meant, when it finally dawned on me: "Hey dummy, what does a Sten look like?"
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    This took me longer to figure out than I care to admit. I was thinking for a good five minutes trying to determine what you meant, when it finally dawned on me: "Hey dummy, what does a Sten look like?"

    :spittingcoffee: You see an exhaust pipe, I see a Sten or M3 waiting to be built! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement