Home Main Category General Firearms

Finally took the Johnson to the range!!

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 8,497 Senior Member
It finally cooled down this week so I figured it's a good time took take the Johnson to the range and air it out!!
I also took the M-1 Carbine and my 1917 Enfield and 1903 Springfield for a .30 cal. day.
I shot new PPU M2 ball in the Johnson and new PPU .30 carbine ammo.
The Johnson was actually a pleasure to shoot. The trigger doesn't have the two stage like a lot of old military rifles and broke clean at about seven pounds. I really like the combat sights, old eyes like the peeps!! The action really cycles FAST considering it's a short recoil barrel and not gas operated. Felt recoil is less than a Garand, even though the Johnson weighs less. Unfortunately, the accuracy wasn't the best. I set the targets at 50yards and you can see the results. I talked to my BIL about it, (if you remember it's a loaner from him) and he said the barrel is shot out of this one, to much corrosive ammo went through it. But, it was minute of gong at 100 yards, five for five, so anytime I get that satisfying "clang", I'm happy.

The carbine was just plain FUN. It shot great and was surprisingly accurate. Good groups at 50 yards, and the 100 yard gong stayed in motion, couldn't miss!! Considering the round, IMHO it's a legit 50 yard offensive weapon and defensive at 100 yards and beyond.

Between the 1917 and 1903, I shoot the Enfield a lot better, mainly because of the rear peep sight. Old eyes and small, hard to see sights on the '03 make it hard for me to get the full potential out of the '03. But of the two, the Springfield is lighter, has a slightly smoother action and better trigger. I destroyed the six inch gong with the Enfield!!

All in all, a fun range day.

?tn=1048917088 Johnson target!!

?tn=-536270602 Carbine target

?tn=-1593984288

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Shame on you- - - - -playing with your Johnson right out in public! :nono:

Nice-looking bunch of old warhorses!
    Jerry
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Cool!

Maybe a re-crowning job could tight up the group; if barrel is already corroded and it was usually cleaned by the muzzle, can't hurt to try.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Why your/BILs Johnson still works enough to Git Er Done..................... :tooth:

Looks like you had more fun than a barrel of monkeys :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Be sure you check the gas plug housing Castle-nut on that carbine to make sure it is tight. Probably staked in place too.

It should also move back and forth when you shake it (the gas plug) or blow and suck into to bbl.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    What's with the fascination of Johnsons? I'd never even heard of them until now.
    Buffco wrote: »
    What's with the fascination of Johnsons? I'd never even heard of them until now.

You must of had a deprived puberty :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    They were used for a short while by the Marine Raiders in WW 2. I seem to remember Johnson was a Marine, which gave him a sympathetic audience for a semi rifle. I don't know if the survived after Guadalcanal, where the Marines in general carried 03s. I believe the Johnson held ten rounds (?). Their thin barrels were prone to bending which made them quite unsuitable and they were ultimately exchanged for M 1s.

I don't yearn for one.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,191 Senior Member
    You handled your BIL's Johnson well, looks like fun;).
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,497 Senior Member
    You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck You suck

Your punctuation needs work!!:jester: Or you could just take out the spaces and make it one big word!!

Gene, I never had a desire to own one, but I do enjoy the history behind the weapon and the unique design. They filled a gap until enough M-1's could get produced and into the field.
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Your punctuation needs work!!:jester: Or you could just take out the spaces and make it one big word!!

Gene, I never had a desire to own one, but I do enjoy the history behind the weapon and the unique design. They filled a gap until enough M-1's could get produced and into the field.

Aw heck, he could email the same message to his Commander In Chief..........but he can't.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of the drawbacks to the Johnson rifle was the short-recoil action with the movable barrel. Bayonet drill got interesting, so I hear!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member

After I posted, I looked it up. Because of the recoiling barrel, the extra mass of the bayonet on the rifle could cause misfires, and they had more parts and they were a lot smaller.

They weren't a gap-filling weapon, the M 1 was available roughly contemporaneously with the Johnson. But the Marine Corps picked a design by one of their own. And apparently didn't budget for M 1s until later on.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    carbine shoots well, the other is at least moment of enemy soldier
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    It finally cooled down this week so I figured it's a good time took take the Johnson to the range and air it out!!
    I also took the M-1 Carbine and my 1917 Enfield and 1903 Springfield for a .30 cal. day.
    I shot new PPU M2 ball in the Johnson and new PPU .30 carbine ammo.
    The Johnson was actually a pleasure to shoot. The trigger doesn't have the two stage like a lot of old military rifles and broke clean at about seven pounds. I really like the combat sights, old eyes like the peeps!! The action really cycles FAST considering it's a short recoil barrel and not gas operated. Felt recoil is less than a Garand, even though the Johnson weighs less. Unfortunately, the accuracy wasn't the best. I set the targets at 50yards and you can see the results. I talked to my BIL about it, (if you remember it's a loaner from him) and he said the barrel is shot out of this one, to much corrosive ammo went through it. But, it was minute of gong at 100 yards, five for five, so anytime I get that satisfying "clang", I'm happy.

The carbine was just plain FUN. It shot great and was surprisingly accurate. Good groups at 50 yards, and the 100 yard gong stayed in motion, couldn't miss!! Considering the round, IMHO it's a legit 50 yard offensive weapon and defensive at 100 yards and beyond.

Between the 1917 and 1903, I shoot the Enfield a lot better, mainly because of the rear peep sight. Old eyes and small, hard to see sights on the '03 make it hard for me to get the full potential out of the '03. But of the two, the Springfield is lighter, has a slightly smoother action and better trigger. I destroyed the six inch gong with the Enfield!!

All in all,Na fun range day.

I don't have an 03 but I have an 03-A3. I also have a couple of Garands and a 1917 along with at least one Yugo Mauser and a Mosin Nagant 91-30. I haven't shot the MN yet and would love to do that. I would also love to have a good Carbine. And if possible a Johnson. I would love to at least have one of each U.S. WWII issued Battle Rifle. That would be a blast.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    What ammo are you using in the P-17? I have owned several and found every single one of them have had a preference towards heavier weights...180-200 grain bullets.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Lovin' that carbine! :love:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Flashover wrote: »
    What ammo are you using in the P-17? I have owned several and found every single one of them have had a preference towards heavier weights...180-200 grain bullets.

I was shooting some very old M-2 ball in the 03 and the 1917, 150 grain. The 1917 shoots it good, but the stuff is from the fifties so there are a lot of miss fires. I used new M-2 ammo in the Johnson. I refer to the 1917 as a bolt action Garand. To me it's weight and handling is similar to the Garand, along with the sights. I love the history behind all these old rifles and like to study the design and similarities between other weapons of that era and today!!
  • brians356brians356 Member Posts: 161 Member
    Memories! On a snowy Thanksgiving Day circa 1967 my dad and I went deer hunting in N. central Idaho (near the village of Winchester) with one of my classmates and his dad, who carried a Johnson M1941 he said he brought back from Korea. I never got to see it in action (my dad took a whitetail doe with his Model 70, and that ended the hunt) but I remember how heavy and unwieldy that Johnson appeared as he lugged it around the woods at "port arms". Still, to my young eyes is looked exotic and extravagantly powerful - even if it fired the same cartridge as my dad's '63 Featherweight.
    "If this is flag waving, can you think of a better flag to wave?"
    Irving Berlin
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    In the 1970's sometime a slew of South American Johnson's came in. They were all in 7x57. They were in outstanding condition, probably unfired. Cost was running around $450. I didn't buy one, but it would have been nice if I had.
  • stepmacstepmac Member Posts: 172 Member
    I knew a fellow who had been a Marine on Saipan. He told me that one time a Japanese Marine came charging at him and he unloaded his carbine into the guy's chest. He did not fall. He tossed the carbine for a Garand.

I have an Inland carbine that was a guard gun in San Quentin. The rifle is worn on the outside but perfect bore. I was amazed how well it shot! Small groups and it printed right to the sights. I'd place stones on a fence rail and shoot them off with few misses. Carbines are better guns that we have always been led to believe.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I qualified with the carbine while in the Air Force in the early '60's, didn't like it at all, but was lighter than any thing they had at the time.
  • brians356brians356 Member Posts: 161 Member
    stepmac wrote: »
    I
    I have an Inland carbine that was a guard gun in San Quentin. The rifle is worn on the outside but perfect bore. I was amazed how well it shot! Small groups and it printed right to the sights. I'd place stones on a fence rail and shoot them off with few misses. Carbines are better guns that we have always been led to believe.

I recall in the early '60s some guys equipping their wives or youngsters with carbines for hunting deer. Probably few were ever actually fired in anger, and fewer still actually produced hits "in the hair", but they were in the field where I grew up nevertheless.
    "If this is flag waving, can you think of a better flag to wave?"
    Irving Berlin
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    stepmac wrote: »
    In the 1970's sometime a slew of South American Johnson's came in. They were all in 7x57. They were in outstanding condition, probably unfired. Cost was running around $450. I didn't buy one, but it would have been nice if I had.

Venezuelan contract if memory doesn't fails me
    Antonio wrote: »
    Venezuelan contract if memory doesn't fails me

BIL used to have an FN-49 in 7x57, don't know why he sold it. Guess he got an offer he couldn't refuse!!