Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Buy guns, buy them now. Paranoid or prepared?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
I'm working overtime, selling this and that and horse trading my way to more guns and ammunition. I am trying to bump up my military style weaponry, the short list being:

AK
CAI C93 (HK 5.56 clone)
M1A
Galil clone
... more to come.

And 1000 rounds minimum for each.

Some call my mentality paranoia, but I disagree. I don't want these things because I have a delusion the government will take them away... I KNOW they will take them away. In today's political climate, thinking they won't be halted or confiscated is the delusion. It only gets worse from here; unless we get another Reagan in office and he overturns all the crap gun laws... But I don't believe in unicorns.

I should snag up a couple more AR receivers while they are still on sale for $50-90 too. We all should.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
«134

Replies

  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    A president, unless he does it by executive order can not overturn a federal gun statute. If he does, he's as bad as obama. Maybe transparently "on our side" but still a scofflaw. He could veto legislation.

    Don't put your faith or survival in the hands of what has become elected kings.

    As to your style of guns. That's all well and good, as long as you have ammo to support them. And a fortified place to stock them or to defend from. If you think you will fort up against FedGov to keep your black guns...remember the AlamoMountCarmelBranchDavidiansGoliad.....unless there are hundreds or thousands of these scenarios going on at the same time.

    Worst case: if we had a real -Societal plus Industrial Crash - the black guns would only be good as long as there is ammo. Which could be years. But the duffers that make their own flintlocks, and can make their own powder and balls might be keeping a gun going longer term.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    In favor of your point, Jason, As soon as I heard of Holder's resignation I thought that there was a pistol purchase I should make ASAP
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

    So this post now scares away all the other posts like mine about gun ownership BEFORE this post was made?

    You do realize that no less than 20 of you have a GIGANTIC thread from March/April that not only described an arsenal of weapons but WHERE you could be found damn near every year in Tennessee, right?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    So this post now scares away all the other posts like mine about gun ownership BEFORE this post was made?

    You do realize that no less than 20 of you have a GIGANTIC thread from March/April that not only described an arsenal of weapons but WHERE you could be found damn near every year in Tennessee, right?

    Is that why all those black helicopters flew around all that weekend? I thought it was normal.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They are still looking for a character wearing a paper sack over his head holding a Wimpchester who has an alias of WMG (Wheres My Gun).

    The Ginger wearing **** shorts over his head has been identified by DNA.........
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Safest place in Middle Tennessee that weekend- - - -even the local cops say so!
    :guns:
    Jerry
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I have no idea how Holder's resignation instills panic gun buys, but here we go again. Just when the market was getting soft...

    Hey Obama took a crap this morning! Better buy guns!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,863 Senior Member
    It's a good idea to stock up on ammo because prices are cheap right now. Even Cheaper-than-Dirt has low prices on ammo.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I have no idea how Holder's resignation instills panic gun buys, but here we go again. Just when the market was getting soft...

    Hey Obama took a crap this morning! Better buy guns!

    Is it getting where the gun market is getting giddy like the oil market, any excuse to raise prices, they will?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I have no idea how Holder's resignation instills panic gun buys, but here we go again. Just when the market was getting soft...

    Hey Obama took a crap this morning! Better buy guns!

    My OP said nothing about Holder's resignation. Actually, that had no motivating cause for my OP. I spoke about general political climate.

    Panic buying is annoying and dumb... But prepatory purchases are just smart.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Wasn't referring to your OP
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I'm going the other way right now - just sold my CETME and my Yugo 59/66 SKS. Offers I couldn't refuse. But, from owning a bazillion black rifles and such over the last half century, I can advise you this - don't buy anything unless somebody has made an under $10 magazine loader/unloader for it. Your thumbs and fingers will thank you. CDNN sells an excellent dual-lever magazine loader/unloader for AK47 (7.62x39) and AR15 (5.56x45) magazines for around $7. Stick with rifles that take either of those magazines and you'll live happily ever after. Otherwise, buy a box of band-aids. Sooner or later...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,330 Senior Member
    I think it's paranoia, not that there's anything wrong with that. I went through it, bought a H&K, some ammo. Tried to buy 100 pounds of rice (but didn't.) In 1999, I bought a lot of .22 ammo for Y 2K. A colleague stocked up on survival rations and for a year after 2000, gave away potted meat and Vienna sausages to get rid of them.

    At some point, I decided if It All Goes Down, I'm not going to bunker up anywhere and crap my pants in panic. My duty was/is to be there in any situation. And so is yours.

    I buy guns, occasionally, but definitely not for survival.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    With over 300 million guns in the hands of the Us citizens, and about 80 million citizens ineligible ( over 7 million felons and 76 million under 18 years old ) with a total population of 320 million, that's 1.25 guns for every non felon over the age of 18. I think everyone should have a rifle a shotgun and a handgun, but that means the average family of four owns five guns.

    An AR -15 , a Glock 19, a Ruger 10-22, a Mossberg 500 and an S&W 642. :jester:

    We are reaching "saturation" in this market space and we are either going to see prices drop because there will be too many goods chasing to few consumers, or price go up because manufacturers will not sell as many and therefore their costs will go up. I think we will see a glut eventually.

    IMHO

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Okay, here's my thoughts on buying a bunch of different platforms for TEOTWAWKI...

    1. Getting 5 or 6 different platforms each with their own parts, magazines, optics mounting systems, possibly different chamberings, manuals of arms, cleaning needs, and the like is just going to muck up your chain of stuff to need. Ever shown up at the range with the wrong ammo or mags? Annoying, ain't it? What happens if your situation hits and you grab the wrong mags or ammo when you bug out?
    2. Your parts and maintenance chain is going to get crazy expensive. Parts won't interchange, and for the situation you're talking about, you will have stuff break. Not unless you're carrying ALL of them with you, you're going to be in trouble because you might have the wrong parts/tools with you when you need them.
    3. All that stuff is heavy. Does it make sense to lug an extra 8 lb. of rifle with its differing ammo and mags, or maybe just lug more ammo? Not unless you plan on going everywhere with a tactical wheelbarrow or an SUV, you're probably going to end up leaving stuff behind because it's too heavy, no ammo, it's broken, etc. If I were to bug out I'd rather take one long gun, a handgun or two, and the spare parts kits for all of them than try to manage a menagerie of small arms.
    4. You're going to up your training time exponentially with a bunch of firearms. Malfunction drills, manipulation, reloading, etc. can all get pretty different.

    If I were buying for the situation you are describing, I'd get one platform and settle on it. If I just wanted a collection, I'd buy whatever I wanted and forget about what other folks say.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Relax Bream. Just sit back and watch the entertainment. It's like having our own Doomsday Prepper Show!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Get a tactical golf cart and a buddy with some ceramic plate body armor and carry whatever you want!.......



    A good bolt your Ruger gunsight and a couple mags and your good to go.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Get a tactical golf cart and a buddy with some ceramic plate body armor and carry whatever you want

    Better get a full body Brazilian wax job before you duct tape those trauma plates on!
    :yikes:
    Jerry
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    !No! Viva el pelo!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    !No! Viva el pelo!!!

    Hair?????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Si! No cera de Brasileno por nosotros.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Si! No cera de Brasileno por nosotros.

    No me importa lo que haces. Sin embargo, para las damas, sí por favor.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yes ! No Brazilian ????

    Hey, me no comprehendo this lingo!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Me encante
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    No me importa lo que haces. Sin embargo, para las damas, sí por favor.

    A translation for the gringos "not important to me what you do. However, for the ladies, yes please!

    Sound much better in my,not even close to, native tongue!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    You do realize that no less than 20 of you have a GIGANTIC thread from March/April that not only described an arsenal of weapons but WHERE you could be found damn near every year in Tennessee, right?
    That is incidental to the hobby and has nothing to do with preparing for the political climate. Just a bunch of bubbas getting together to go shooting and take pictures of sausages. That said, I am not as dumb as I look and there are critical details that I don't mention about that trip for security's sake.

    Now if I was going to prepare for a political climate, I would not advertise it in public. That is the point I wanted to make.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is incidental to the hobby and has nothing to do with preparing for the political climate. Just a bunch of bubbas getting together to go shooting and take pictures of sausages. That said, I am not as dumb as I look and there are critical details that I don't mention about that trip for security's sake.

    Now if I was going to prepare for a political climate, I would not advertise it in public. That is the point I wanted to make.

    Point I'm making is... We discuss, sometimes ad nauseum, preparation for this or that in our political climate. People make "tall tree, short rope" comments about high ranking politicians, etc, etc. One additional post about this matter isn't making or breaking anything that hasn't already been said.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Point I'm making is... Some people discuss, sometimes ad nauseum, preparation for this or that in our political climate. Some people make "tall tree, short rope" comments about high ranking politicians, etc, etc. One additional post about this matter isn't making or breaking anything that hasn't already been said by some people.
    Fixed it for you. Some people don't say anything at all (in public).:wink:

    That said, Bream has good advice.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    As much as I agree with having a firewall on how much you share on the interested, you'd have to wade through 42 bazillion similar threads in paramilitary, survivalist, LEO, doomsday preper, zombie apocalypse and tin foil hat crowd forums out there before you get to his. Being targeted for something you post on the internet is akin to winning PowerBall lotto but you get a lot more press when it happens...

    You are wrong, the ambush is being set up in Athens GA, no TN, no Greece.....dang you might just be a hard target :tooth:

    Sorry Wambli, Linefinder's Bucket Incident and your Athens confusion of location isn't likely to be forgotten on here.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement