Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Undocumented immigrant military service?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    mohican wrote: »
    Do you see some, any, a lot of "gang banger" types of illegal aliens enlisting? Or is that urban legend?

I'm sure that will happen to some degree, but not anymore than what we get with regular American citizens. I don't really see a problem with this. Some of the Illegals around here, other than breaking the law by illegal entry, are pretty dedicated to working hard and trying to make a good life. I think that's the type we will see more of. Don't get me wrong on this, I am NOT for any such amnesty. I am only open to giving those willing to serve our country a chance to get in the line.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    So for you service equals a chance for an illegal to stay and get in the line behind others who have been trying legitimately, and not a blanket amnesty.

That's a valid point.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    One of my favorite people I've ever worked with was a Filipino guy who served in the Navy to get his citizenship. He retired as a Chief Petty Officer. He was funny as heck.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,575 Senior Member
    Do you see some, any, a lot of "gang banger" types of illegal aliens enlisting? Or is that urban legend?[/QUOTE

Do we see a lot of it? no, but there is more than what I would like to see/know of. You see it more once they leave the service. There is video and documented evidence that shows gang bangers executing MOUT and IMT TTPs against law enforcement. There was on video I saw about 8 years ago of a guy that went in through the marines. He pied the corner on a cop and dropped him.

they pick the guys that still have clean sheets. Have them enlist for a quick 2-4 years and then bring them back into the fold.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    I believe that honorable service should be a pathway to citizenship for that class of "illegal"...Sorry...ANYONE willing to toe the line has my respect....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Y
    So for you service equals a chance for an illegal to stay and get in the line behind others who have been trying legitimately, and not a blanket amnesty.

That's a valid point.

Yes, that's pretty much the way I see it. Anybody willing to do their part for this country, I can see giving a break. But a flood of illegals? Hell no! And people that lay around and complain and bad mouth my country for not giving them a free ride, hell I'll drive the bus if y'all will help me round em up to take back to where they came from.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    What limits are on this? I don't think I would want a program where someone can walk over from Juarez into a recruiters office and say Quiero ser todo lo que puedo ser.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    I served with a guy from Louisiana,
    talk about hard to understand.
    I was in basic training at Ft Leonard Wood MO May 10th thru July 1st 1978. I went there as a Private E-2 and was made the acting Platoon Sergeant. Yeah! I had a Trainee from Louisiana who was a high school graduate that could not read or write or tie his shoes. He could sign his name at an average four year old level. I felt very sorry for him and taught him to tie his shoes. He was identified as unfit for military service and processed for discharge. While awaiting discharge he was placed on KP. He did not like that and decided to go home. He was picked up by the MO state police about 20 miles North of Ft Leonard Wood. I guess he was taking the 24,000 mile "shortcut" to Louisiana! It still makes me sad. There was another poor kid from Kentucky who I swear was the porch sitting banjo picker from Deliverance who was also discharged. A couple of recruiters were hopefully fired.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,575 Senior Member
    What limits are on this? I don't think I would want a program where someone can walk over from Juarez into a recruiters office and say Quiero ser todo lo que puedo ser.

I don't think it should be up to those who haven't put on a uniform...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    One of my favorite people I've ever worked with was a Filipino guy who served in the Navy to get his citizenship. He retired as a Chief Petty Officer. He was funny as heck.

Man Filipinos are really cool on average. Great people overall. And they are generally pretty smart. But don't piss one off. You may wake up with a head that looks like you stuck it in a bee hive. those guys can box. They all think they're Manny Paquiao when they get pissed and most I've known could do a pretty good imitation.
    Like my wife says, we're small but terrible,

:tooth:
    Quote Originally Posted by mohican View Post
    I don't think it should be up to those who haven't put on a uniform...

Well, you are correct that I was never in the military - had a left eye issue that prevented it.

And I can respect the thought that military policy is often best left to those who have served and know the ins and out. But I have served in the volunteer Fire and EMS service since '87 or so. I have served at officer level and above since the mid 1990s. It's easy to sit in a public meeting and hear people's uneducated opinions on the Fire and EMS service and think that it's all a bunch of horse squeeze. Some of the things are real eye rollers and more than once I've pointed out that some suggested policy could end tragically. Which violates my one hard and fast rule as a volunteer Fire Chief - Everyone Goes Home.

As much as I hate people with no firefighting, rescue or ems experience telling me how to run things, people get elected to be in charge. People with minimal knowledge are elected to tell you how you have to run the operation.

So I get where you are coming from. As with a volunteer fire service, a volunteer military needs some type of administration, and in situations like we are discussing there at some point needs to be restraints and qualifiers. Not every illegal alien is comes here to work 90 hours a week in the landscaping business. Our prisons are filled with hyper violent illegal aliens at a ratio that outpaces the percentage of them in the population. Any google search yields a number of at least 20% of violent offenders are illegal aliens. How is the wheat sorted from the chaff?

The next point might sound smart ass, but I don't intend it to be. Perhaps I should look at an illegal, regardless of past history in the same way I as a Christian should view a new convert - A different person from that point forward. It the intent becomes good, and the person keeps their nose clean then they should perhaps be granted a clean slate.

Where I have an issue with granting the service to citizenship path outside of kids of illegal aliens is the fact that they broke the rules to get here. But then again, to be honest, I have no problems nor do I do any mental gymnastics about which rules or laws I obey or ignore wholesale. So perhaps, given the fact that I am contemptuous of certain laws, regulations, etc. I might be a hypocrite about which laws I want others to follow....It is a quandary.

This might just be a long, rambling way to say I'd have to think on this subject some more.