Make some money - what publicly traded companies do you like?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,810 Senior Member
One thing I have noticed over the years is that if you like a company for what it does and how it does it, they are likely a good stock buy.

Examples:

Chipotle - great food, people clamoring to go there at lunch not too expensive, now trades at $660 a share! Five year ago it was $30.

Netflix - five years ago it traded for $40 and now $440 a share. They have another great product.

So what do you see as the next big thing? Whose products do you really like and they are a young publicly traded company?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Next big thing? Zero idea and I don't dabble in the market any more.

Ages ago I was urged to invest in Fuji Photo and made some bucks there, and more recently, the sneaker company Skechers, also made some dough.

But I've got no concept of what makes money so I don't speculate.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,784 Senior Member
    Two I tend to like are Cree and Tesla. Cree seems semi-reasonably priced, Tesla is not right now. I also own some Facebook stock that I picked up at $19, it's now over $70. Not sure I like it at this price though. Have been looking for others though. I like buying stocks of companies I like, but they also need to be at the right price.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Cree is interesting.

I like Vodafone and Canadian Oil Sands right now. Both undervalued for what they are in my opinion. I keep looking at Marathon Oil and Conoco Philips, but I don't know where oil prices are going.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,784 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Cree is interesting.

I like Vodafone and Canadian Oil Sands right now. Both undervalued for what they are in my opinion. I keep looking at Marathon Oil and Conoco Philips, but I don't know where oil prices are going.

D

Not all that familiar with the specific oil sands company. I'm actually not all that high on most oil companies, especially high cost ones like any oil sands producer. Doesn't take much of a drop in oil prices to put them in the Red. Frankly I don't trust the financials of most of the shale players either. Seems like there are way too many asset sales and loans being taken out if these companies were really generating the kind of cash flow they claim. Costs are just really high and production per well isn't. I generally prefer to find companies that sell equipment and other stuff to the oil companies. The big majors are challenging because they are having a heck of a time replacing their reserves. There just isn't that much oil out there anymore that's not already owned or owned by a national oil company. I'd look at any major only as an income play and a hedge. A few pay a nice dividend. I own Statoil, primarily because they pay 4% dividend. I don't expect to make much in appreciation other than as a hedge against a spike in oil prices, but I'll take 2x the yield on treasuries from a fairly stable company.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Biomed. Not for the timid though.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,469 Senior Member
    It's not a public traded company but Kansashunterneedsmorecows looks like a good one. Just let me know and I can hook you up.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    It's not a public traded company but Kansashunterneedsmorecows looks like a good one. Just let me know and I can hook you up.

So the stock symbol for that company would bbe KHNMC? :tooth:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member

Looks like a methane gas producer to me... and fertilizer.

D
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,469 Senior Member
    Yes those are byproducts we are looking to market. It's all spelled out in the pamphlet. It contains a lot of BS.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,185 Senior Member
    Not that matters now that I'm retired, but I invested in defense contractors, and IBM, when I was still working for 'the man'. I sold out when I retired. Raytheon and a few others were very good over the long haul.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Biomed. Not for the timid though.

RPRX is a good example. Trading around $10 now and some project $28 within the year.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    Mark West Energy. We've worked for them, see what they do.