Another Fun Graph on our Stratifying Economy

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,788 Senior Member
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and as Jesus said, whilst He walked among us, "the poor ye have with you always."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    I find that graph interesting only in that the disparity really went upside down when YOUR president took the reins.

It is also worth noting that after the Carter administration the manufacturing base in the U.S. started moving overseas and the 'service industry' became the norm for employment.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    That makes me want to work my butt off to get into that top 10 %. Get a few years of field experience, get an MBA or a JD, and move on up. Beats what I'm doing tonight, sitting in my truck on a rig in watching a guy on a forklift unload a flatbed full of drilling chemicals.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I find that graph interesting only in that the disparity really went upside down when YOUR president took the reins.

It is also worth noting that after the Carter administration the manufacturing base in the U.S. started moving overseas and the 'service industry' became the norm for employment.

No doubt a lot of factors, but it's pretty clear despite the rhetoric the big O hasn't done anything to help the situation and things only continue to get worse. The decline in manufacturing and the accompanying decline in Union power also no doubt play a role. Globalization has clearly increased competition, especially at the lower end of the income/skill spectrum.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    USUFB wrote: »
    That makes me want to work my butt off to get into that top 10 %. Get a few years of field experience, get an MBA or a JD, and move on up. Beats what I'm doing tonight, sitting in my truck on a rig in watching a guy on a forklift unload a flatbed full of drilling chemicals.

Yep, sounds like a good plan. Hard work and the right education go a long way towards getting you there (the right connections help a lot as well).
    -DoctorWho
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Globalization has clearly increased competition, especially at the lower end of the income/skill spectrum.

This. There are over one billion Chinese. Almost as many Indians. Hard for unskilled labor in developed countries to compete with those numbers.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,127 Senior Member
    :that:
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    This all goes back to global income equality.

After WW II we had prosperity like never before as a result of winning and the manufacturing economy. We protected that prosperity through tariffs and trade restrictions into the 80's. NAFTA in the 90's started to allow the importation of goods made at "world wages". Detroit was putting four bolts on a car tire for $35 an hour, and you can guess what Mexico was doing it for.

Today USA workers are getting closer to parity with their world competition. This means labor in the USA is earning less even though they are more productive. The iPhone is made in China for a reason.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    Heard a report today that unemployment has dropped to 5%. I don't believe that figure is real any more than I believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. Probably more like a bunch more people dropped off the unemployment rolls due to their hitting the limit, or a huge amount of people just quit looking. Figures lie, and the liars in Washington are figuring....................more lies to scam the low information voters right before the election.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Since I'm in the top 10%, but only about 20 years ago I was in the lower 50%, I'm thinking there's something to this capitalism stuff. I'm all for it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The middle class is diminishing all the business Yak Yak shows are saying. The rich are getting richer (especially the top 1%) and poor/lower income getting poorer.

The economy is sucking hind teat when you ask most folks.

Don't believe me, just go to the grocery store and it's not hard to figure out inflation has outstripped incomes and wages for most folks regardless of what their stupid CPI "Index" purports.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Heard a report today that unemployment has dropped to 5%. I don't believe that figure is real any more than I believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. Probably more like a bunch more people dropped off the unemployment rolls due to their hitting the limit, or a huge amount of people just quit looking. Figures lie, and the liars in Washington are figuring....................more lies to scam the low information voters right before the election.
    You also have to figure in how many 40 hr/week jobs have become 30/hr per week jobs because of obamacare...that's a big boost in the number of jobs right there and also reinforces the trend in this thread.
    -DoctorWho
    Big Chief wrote: »
    The middle class is diminishing all the business Yak Yak shows are saying. The rich are getting richer (especially the top 1%) and poor/lower income getting poorer.

The economy is sucking hind teat when you ask most folks.

Don't believe me, just go to the grocery store and it's not hard to figure out inflation has outstripped incomes and wages for most folks regardless of what their stupid CPI "Index" purports.
    Pretty much. Our system works best for those with capital. Most of everyone else has become debt slaves. Keys to success = minimize debt, aquire capital.
    -DoctorWho
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    In fairness the following applies to almost any chart/graph/poll/statistic/numbers crunching depending on what you are trying to peddle folks to believe.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Attributed to Mark Twain and originally spoken by the British PM Disraeli...................whoever coined the phrase was right and it is as applicable today as it was back then.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member

People receiving unemployment "dropped" to under 6%.......means they no longer get paid while being unemployed. 96,000,000 Americans are not working.......staggering number! Figures don't lie but liars certainly figure!