Home Main Category General Firearms

Uniforming Primer Pockes - Why?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Linefinder pointed out to me some time ago when we were discussing this primer pocket issue over the phone: about the only real reason to uniform the primer pockets is to make subsequent pocket cleaning that much easier. He's right. I find it much simpler to clean the carbon out of the flat, uniformed pocket than the radius-rounded one that most factory brass has.

Hey I never thought about that. That is a pet peeve of mine when I use my little RCBS tool and it hardly looks like it made any difference.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Linefinder pointed out to me some time ago when we were discussing this primer pocket issue over the phone: about the only real reason to uniform the primer pockets is to make subsequent pocket cleaning that much easier. He's right. I find it much simpler to clean the carbon out of the flat, uniformed pocket than the radius-rounded one that most factory brass has.

SixGun speaks much truth. Linefinder is right. It also makes seating the next primer much easier.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I know you've mentioned that before, Linefinder. But, getting the pocket easy to clean the next time I shoot is a royal pain in the butt!

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I know you've mentioned that before, Linefinder. But, getting the pocket easy to clean the next time I shoot is a royal pain in the butt!

:-)

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

I've heard the same said of the ass.

:)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull