Home Main Category General Firearms

Lyman 55 drop tube too short... need a longer one or suggestions.

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
I have an older Lyman 55 powder measure. I mounted it in a Lyman powder stand, and the drop tube does not protrude far enough to place the scale pan directly against it, to keep powder from splashing off the sides.

Looks kind of like this:

NO55STAND.jpg

Notice the drop tube just protrudes about 1/2 an inch.

An alternative would be to drop the charge into a container that would catch it all and then dump it in the scale pan.

( I SOOOO need a Chargemaster... just $300! )

Recently I loaded some 45-70's and even placing the cartridge mouth against it was not optimal.

Perhaps as a rookie I am missing something?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Yep. Fix that problem with a Chargemaster.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Yep. Fix that problem with a Chargemaster.

:that:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Epoxy a short piece of arrow shaft to the bottom of the fixture. When I really need to use a drop tube, like when the powder charge is approaching a compressed load, I use a full-length arrow shaft with a powder funnel Acra-Glassed to the top. It's surprising how much a load compresses when it drops a couple of feet into a case!
    Jerry

EDIT: Even a piece of a heavy-walled plastic soda straw would work as an extender.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    The measure was meant to pour straight into the case you are loading. I know you want to weigh each and every charge, but the way it was meant to be done with the measure is to get the measure throwing the load you want using a scale, then loading directly into the cases-- if you are OCD, you may recheck every 30-40 rounds or so.

After you buy your Chargemaster, keep that measure around for handgun loads-- It is maddening using a Chargemaster for say... 200 rounds of 9mm with 5 grain charges!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Measure the outside diameter of the threads. Go to the hardware store and get a piece of Tygon brand tubing the correct I.D. to extend the drop nozzle an inch or two. Just screw the Tygon on the threads and go. I've used Tygon tubing before to meter powder and it doesn't get all static electricity charged like some stuff.

Lyman makes a 24" drop tube for the Model 55 powder measure for the black powder shooters (2-12" sections).
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Set the scale away from the measure. Set the measure to drop 1 grainish short. Drop the charge in the pan, set it on the scale. Then trickle in the last grain.

The way it is now, when I drop a charge into the scale pan it can make a mess, and dump 1/8 of the charge out onto the table.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Lyman sells large and small drop tubes for a 55. They're $2.50.

Me, I'd just jam a hunk of cpvc or something on it.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Will this help?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lyman%20drop%20tube&clk_rvr_id=704316479381&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=69&crlp=50641633994_2416792&device=c&geo_id=10232&keyword=lyman+drop+tube&crdt=0

Also Frankford Arsenal akes a extension kit.

The Lyman #55 comes with a small and large drop tube???? Is one longer??
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Set the scale away from the measure. Set the measure to drop 1 grainish short. Drop the charge in the pan, set it on the scale. Then trickle in the last grain.

This is close to the way I do it. Put the case on the electronic scale, hit "Tare", drop the charge into the case, weigh case again the the reading you see is the powder charge. Trickle in a little bit as needed. Doing it like this only takes a few seconds and every charge is weighed.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,329 Senior Member
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,576 Senior Member
    I made one out of a length of copper tube. Aluminum will work, too. I wouldn't use plastic because I think it might build up static electricity.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    "This is the short drop tube so often missing from older Lyman 55 powder measures."

Here is probably what you are missing from your older #55, much cheaper than the long tube Gene posted a link to. heck, call Lyman they will probably send you fer cheap or free.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=161145&CAT=4002
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I made one out of a length of copper tube. Aluminum will work, too. I wouldn't use plastic because I think it might build up static electricity.

The Tygon won't build up a static charge under any normal conditions. It has to be the Tygon brand hose, not some off brand stuff.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The measure was meant to pour straight into the case you are loading. I know you want to weigh each and every charge, but the way it was meant to be done with the measure is to get the measure throwing the load you want using a scale, then loading directly into the cases-- if you are OCD, you may recheck every 30-40 rounds or so.

After you buy your Chargemaster, keep that measure around for handgun loads-- It is maddening using a Chargemaster for say... 200 rounds of 9mm with 5 grain charges!
    I think this is what you are missing, Dan. If you're loading really precise loads, you might use an intermediate to get the powder to the weigh pan.

If you're loading ammo using a Lee die, the drop tube should fit inside the expander die, just slides in the area on top. What I would do when I was borrowing the Lyman 55 was batch deprime/resize, then batch prime, then batch flare and drop the powder into the case, putting the charged cases onto loading blocks and then batch seat the bullets.

It may not suit your purposes, but unless you go the way of the drop tube, it's what you've go.

If you're dropping into a scale pan then weighing every charge, you will lose any ability the drop tube gives you to cram more powder into the case, by the way. Unless you build a funnel with a drop tube...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I loaded some .243's today and the solution was too darn simple... 1/2 inch PVC and a piece of tape to secure it. The 1/2 inch pvc was nearly identical to the outside diameter. If fit and would not fall off but needed a little better securing, with tape. I wish it was about .075 narrower so it would hold snug and I wouldn't need any tape.

D