Home Main Category General Firearms

New Pistola and Short Review/Range Report

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Purchased this gun last week and got a chance to shoot it on Saturday.

RIA_zpse7c86c00.jpg

It's an early RIA Tactical Compact. I noted right away when I was looking at it in the gunshop, that the recoil spring was too light. So, I didn't shoot it a great deal. I didn't want to beat it up until I could address the recoil spring issue. In fact, only two magazines full just to see if it cycled and had any accuracy potential.

The first target (Upper Blue #4) is a full magazine (7 rounds in a Chip McCormic 7 round magazine) from 10 yards off hand just to see if it hits.

compact1_zps1b524498.jpg

It's the upper target. You'll note it shot 7 rounds into about 2" off hand, a bit low of center.

The lower target (Red #1) ...unfortunately is what happens when you let your best friend Mark shoot your new gun. He beats you. That's 7 rounds off hand at 10 yards.

Just to add a little spice to the mix, I'll post another target that Mark shot from 25 yards. This was fired "OFF HAND" with a 6" Ruger GP100,
shot double action!!! There's a cluster of 5 shots with one outside the group to the right. The cluster of five is 1" at 25 yards. You'll see why I call him the human ransom rest!!!

gp10025offhand_zpsf891e09b.jpg

Anyway, the little RIA seems like it will be a keeper. I'll get a little stiffer recoil spring for it and do a complete range report later.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Very nice. You should leave that other guy home, bad for the ego:tooth:

Sako
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Sweet shooting and gun!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You got yersef a good shooter there.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Good find Dan. Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Seems you got a shooter.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Nice pistol, Dan. And it looks like a good shooter, too! :up:
    Leave that other guy at home next time, or at least don't let him shoot you new pistol acquisitions! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Nice!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Congratulations on your new 1911. The reliability and accuracy of very low priced RIA pistols is such that there is no longer any performance justification that I can think of for spending more for mainstream guns, and especially for spending a lot more for boutique guns, except prestige. Whatever that is.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Very nice Dan. I hate it when someone else out shoots me with my gun. I have been lucky enough to be that guy once or twice.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Hopefully everyone understood that the last photo of the target (blue #3) was the one fired at 25 yards, off hand, double action. One normally finds that kind of double action accuracy with a tuned target PPC style of revolver, but not a stock Ruger GP100. I wouldn't even attempt to try and compete against this guy with one of his guns, much less my own. Any time one can put 5 rounds of full house .357 magnum into a one inch cluster at 25 yards OFF HAND, double action, one can assume the mantle of a guy who can shoot! The flier an inch away doesn't really detract from the accomplishment in my view.

The 10 yards shooting was just a warm up and to get an idea where the little RIA was hitting. After that, almost all our shooting was done at 25 yards, either at targets or 6" steel plates. By the way, the RIA 3" compact fired 3" at 25 yards off hand - though the group was a mite to the left of center. With new springs, this gun will possibly become my new carry piece and take the place of my XDS.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I've been waiting for someone I trusted to buy a RIA, as I've balked on several deals for one. The one question that remains for me is will they accept all standard 1911 aftermarket parts?

:yousuck:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    Nice Grab! I sooooo want a compact 1911..........:yousuck:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Haven't tried after market parts, but they are supposed to be "copies" of the Colt, as opposed to "renditions" of them. Parts are supposed to interchange.
  • Lt 401Lt 401 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Hopefully everyone understood that the last photo of the target (blue #3) was the one fired at 25 yards, off hand, double action. One normally finds that kind of double action accuracy with a tuned target PPC style of revolver, but not a stock Ruger GP100. I wouldn't even attempt to try and compete against this guy with one of his guns, much less my own. Any time one can put 5 rounds of full house .357 magnum into a one inch cluster at 25 yards OFF HAND, double action, one can assume the mantle of a guy who can shoot! The flier an inch away doesn't really detract from the accomplishment in my view.

The 10 yards shooting was just a warm up and to get an idea where the little RIA was hitting. After that, almost all our shooting was done at 25 yards, either at targets or 6" steel plates. By the way, the RIA 3" compact fired 3" at 25 yards off hand - though the group was a mite to the left of center. With new springs, this gun will possibly become my new carry piece and take the place of my XDS.

One comment needs to be added here. I am the Mark he referred to who shot the two nice groups shown above. While Dan was nice enough to show my two good targets of the day, when everything went just right for me, he forgot to show several others that he shot better than I did. Not only that, but Dan is the one who taught me the fine points of handgun shooting long ago when we were in the Service together. Sorry this is late, but though I've read this forum for years, I was not a member; it took awhile to get registered so that I could write a post giving Dan the respect he's due. After knowing him and shooting with and against him for 35+ years, I can testify that he knows his stuff.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,186 Senior Member
    Lt 401 wrote: »
    One comment needs to be added here. I am the Mark he referred to who shot the two nice groups shown above. While Dan was nice enough to show my two good targets of the day, when everything went just right for me, he forgot to show several others that he shot better than I did. Not only that, but Dan is the one who taught me the fine points of handgun shooting long ago when we were in the Service together. Sorry this is late, but though I've read this forum for years, I was not a member; it took awhile to get registered so that I could write a post giving Dan the respect he's due. After knowing him and shooting with and against him for 35+ years, I can testify that he knows his stuff.

Welcome.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Welcome Lt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5