Home Main Category General Firearms

Scope advice

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 12,142 Senior Member
I recently came into ownership of a Marlin 1894 in .44 Rem Mag. At this time the daughter has custody of it and she will bring it with her when she comes home for the Holidays.

I know it needs either the Tang Screw, replacement stock, or both, they should be an easy find. What I know also needs to be replaced is the NCStar scope it currently is wearing.

What I am looking for is something compact, low magnification and able to withstand .44 mag recoil without breaking and also will not break the bank.

I am not in a hurry to make the purchase so there is no problem waiting to find something decent on sale or from a online aution/sale sight. The rifle will be used for up close Florida Hog hunting, maybe Deer. 100 Yards would be a far shot for the area.

Suggestions would be welcome and appreciated as my experience is mostly with 3X9 scopes.

Some I have been thinking about:

Weaver V-3 1-3X20
Nikon Monarch 3 1-4X20
Leupold VX-1 1-4X20
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    I would get a red dot and practice shooting with both eyes open
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a Swift 1.5-4.5X32 on my 77/44. It has a circle duplex reticle.
    If I were in the market for another compact scope I would look very closely at the Weaver Kaspa line. I think Zee has used one.
    The Nikon AR line is nice too. The badging is obnoxious though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I'm all for the red dot... Had one on my 450 Marlin.. LOVED it..
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The 20MM objective lens is going to limit your shooting to fairly well-lit situations. I believe I'd step up a little in objective lens size for better low-light performance. Try this one, or something of similar power and size:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/ultimateslam-2-7x33mm/

Jerry
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Thanks Jerry, I was kind of thinking that 20mm might be a little small .

Grizz, which red dot did you use?

I used to be totaly agains a scope on a lever action rifle, however age and not so good eyes have changed my opinion.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    I have a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 on my 20ga slug gun. I like it just fine and and it is holding up nicely for the money.

Sako
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    What you want to make sure is if the scope you get is suitable for .44 Mag typical ranges. It needs to focus at 50 yards or so. Most CF scopes won't.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Leupold is always a good answer to a scope question
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That is what my Axis will wear once I replace the one the ass bags stole from me.

I'm considering that one as well for my .358 Win.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    How about a Weaver Classic K-4? They have em at Midway for around $180.00-Here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671489/weaver-classic-k-series-scout-rifle-scope-4x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Now that on a Marlin 1894 would be a classic combo.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks to ALL for your suggestions.

I had a list of 4 before posting this and right now its down to 2 (two). The Weaver Kaspa and Nikon Pro Staff which is a little less expensive but for 40 bucks I am leaning toward the Weaver.

Snake the classic sure would be a well, a classic on this lever action rifle, but I am leaning toward the adjustability of the Kaspa and Nikon.

I was never a fan of lever action rifles especially with a scope. now I find myself with 5 of them residing in the safe. Did I mention that I now need a larger or another safe?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I bought a 2x7x35mm for my 1895 guide gun. Although it "looks" right, I won't do that again. All my other lever actions wear 3x9x40's.

Hunting here in Fl, especially at short ranges in the thick woods where its dark later in the morning, and gets darker earlier in the evening, you will appreciate the larger objective lens' light gathering ability, and the ability to crank it up to 8x for detail without losing any appreciable brightness.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Thanks Luis, you just muddied my decision making. Low light, short distance, seeing game between the fonds in a stand of palmettos. Hmmmm

love this place, you all throw out so many different ideas that I never even thought of.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Sorry, but thats why my other lever actions are wearing a Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 with the illuminated reticle. It just works better in dim light in the woods.

I have yet to encounter a single time that I wished I had less than 3 power on a scope, but the 9 power gets used all the time... even if its just for a moment to make SURE something is not a deer or hog.

Also, on our lease the rule is "at least 3 points on one side", and its nice to be SURE that what LOOKS like a 4 pointer at 80 yds in the twilight is not a 5 point that you just can't distinguish.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jermanator wrote: »

Somebody hurry up and buy this scope! I need a field report before I buy mine!!! And, I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

:p
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Somebody hurry up and buy this scope! I need a field report before I buy mine!!! And, I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

FWIW that's a pretty good price... wholesale is about $170.00.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Zee wrote: »

I am looking for a scope for my 45-70 guide gun. This would be great if it had a red dot in it... does such a beast exist under $200?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    Look at some turkey scopes, I have one on my 77/44 and really like it. Recoil won't be a problem for it either.
    Vx-R Hog! Except it is $400 my cost!

194133.jpg

D
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am looking for a scope for my 45-70 guide gun. This would be great if it had a red dot in it... does such a beast exist under $200?

D

Primary Arms has one, but it is a Chinese made scope. I have one on my NEF .45Colt. It works for what I need:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?18346-quot-Silent-quot-Hunting-rig&highlight=primary+arms
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I don't know if I'd put a Chinese scope on a 45-70. Or a .44 Magnum. I'm not sure they'd hold up to the recoil...hey, they may just be fine, but the higher the recoil, the more trustworthy the scope I'd put.

I don't have a scope on my 1894 Marlin.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    The Leupold VX 2 isn't bad but it isn't illuminated... could be had for about $260 and there is a $50 rebate on the VX-2.

998519.jpg

D
    BigDanS wrote: »
    The Leupold VX 2 isn't bad but it isn't illuminated... could be had for about $260 and there is a $50 rebate on the VX-2.

998519.jpg

D

I've handled and looked through this scope and did not like the reticle. Too busy and too thick at the POA.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Thanks to ALL for your suggestions.

I had a list of 4 before posting this and right now its down to 2 (two). The Weaver Kaspa and Nikon Pro Staff which is a little less expensive but for 40 bucks I am leaning toward the Weaver.

Snake the classic sure would be a well, a classic on this lever action rifle, but I am leaning toward the adjustability of the Kaspa and Nikon.

I was never a fan of lever action rifles especially with a scope. now I find myself with 5 of them residing in the safe. Did I mention that I now need a larger or another safe?

Did I mention we are in the same boat? I've got em stacked like sardines in my safe. I had to put the wood stocked ones in gun socks to keep from scratching them.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FishnTimFishnTim New Member Posts: 24 New Member
    Thank you for posting this question. I also recently acquired a Model 1894 that needs glass. I have just about decided on the Nikon 2-7 x 32 shotgun scope. Not a huge fan of the BDC reticule since I don't plan on shots further than 100 yards, but I think it will stand up to the recoil.
    I don't think that the bdc is the right scope for a levergun. For me I desire zero clutter and quick accusition of the target. I'm thinking the Weaver will meet my needs nicely.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I don't think that the bdc is the right scope for a levergun. For me I desire zero clutter and quick accusition of the target. I'm thinking the Weaver will meet my needs nicely.

That's my thing as well. The guns I'd put these low power scopes on don't need a cluttered reticle. I want simple and fast. The Weaver sounds like what I want.
    cpj wrote: »
    Hurry up then. Buy the sucker.

I'm waiting on you and Jerm.
    I still think the classic and classiest choice is the Weaver K-4. It will do all a scope needs to do in a 94 rifle. I'm not sure what kind of light transmission difference there is in a Fixed power scope and a variable. And, I think the K-4 has a 38 or a 40 MM Objective as opposed to a 32mm for these Low Power variable scopes.