Home Main Category General Firearms

Does this look familiar??

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 8,272 Senior Member
?tn=493915786

I took the Johnson apart, just to see what makes it tick, and as I was cleaning the barrel I noticed that the breech end looked very familiar! So I went back and checked my reference book and found out that Maynard Johnson was hired in 1954 by the Armalite Co. as a design consultant and one of his co-workers was Eugene Stoner!! Anybody that has been is the military is the last fifty years should know who Stoner is. (NO not that guy, every unit had one!!)
The other familiar part (s) I notice was the link for the recoil system, very similar to the Browning A-5.
?tn=2158904

The recoil springs were in the butt stock.
Other than having a rather slim barrel, the only other weaknesses I did notice, was that the magazine was made of rather light sheet metal, I'm sure it could be easily dented in a combat situation rendering it useless. OTOH, It's fast to load and can be topped off with the bolt closed and a round in the chamber, unlike the Garand. There was even an experimental model of the Garand that had a Johnson magazine fitted to it.
That's what I love about this old stuff, how they were designed and similarities with modern firearms!!

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,682 Senior Member
    I saw the thread title, and KNEW you would be putting up more pictures of your Johnson
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,272 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I saw the thread title, and KNEW you would be putting up more pictures of your Johnson

And you still opened it!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How does the bore look overall?

Cool piece of history. Heck, be a real pal and offer your BIL 100 bucks to take it off his hands :tooth: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    How does the bore look overall?

Cool piece of history. Heck, be a real pal and offer your BIL 100 bucks to take it off his hands :tooth: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

The bore was not as bad as I thought would be, until it got to the last inch before the muzzle. The rifling was thin but still visible. I think he paid about 100 bucks for both of them.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    The bore was not as bad as I thought would be, until it got to the last inch before the muzzle. The rifling was thin but still visible. I think he paid about 100 bucks for both of them.

See you can offer him a profit @ 100 bucks each!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,015 Senior Member
    You too it apart, but can you get it back together?;-)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    You too it apart, but can you get it back together?;-)

It's already back together. I don't make bag guns, I re-assemble them!!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    No,

It's very similar to an M-16 style breech. That's the connection between Johnson and Stoner. Both rifles use a similar breech system.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    As my Air Force son would say, "Man you just have to explain EVERYTHING to Marines...." :tooth:
    Try to keep it to words with single syllables, no more than 4 letters long.

In short, imagine trying to explain it to Buffco so he can explain it to CPJ.

However in NN's defense, when he was a Marine they had just transitioned from flintlocks to the percussion cap. I'm not sure he's acquainted with them new-fangled self-loading muskets.
    Overkill is underrated.
    It's very similar to an M-16 style breech. That's the connection between Johnson and Stoner. Both rifles use a similar breech system.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    As my Air Force son would say, "Man you just have to explain EVERYTHING to Marines...." :tooth:

You too act like I was armed with a M-16; it was a .38 revolver, 1 ea,
    And in Vietnam it was a 5 shot .38 revolver.

However in NN's defense, when he was a Marine they had just transitioned from flintlocks to the percussion cap. I'm not sure he's acquainted with them new-fangled self-loading muskets.
    I had a sword, too.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I had a sword, too.
    Did you have to forge it yourself?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member

DO NOT use crayon to explain it. Unless you have forceps for extracting said crayon from the Marines nose.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    It's already back together. I don't make bag guns, I re-assemble them!!

Oh sure your probably the second guy on this forum that can re assemble a Ruger MKII...... Me being he first;-)
    That is a cool pict. Funny how good things stick around.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Oh sure your probably the second guy on this forum that can re assemble a Ruger MKII...... Me being he first;-)
    That is a cool pict. Funny how good things stick around.
    I worked on a few Rugers, that's why I own a Buckmark!!
    They can suck but I love mine. It shoots like a dream. Very accurate!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,682 Senior Member

So, you are saying that there is a little Johnson in that Stoner?

Ok, I'll stop now.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    ?tn=493915786

What is that thing inside the breech with the white outline on the bottom that goes from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock?

Looks like Eugene Stoner did borrow that breech idea. And that recoil system is pretty similar to an A-5.

I guess that good ideas tend to get recycled in some form or another in firearms. Twin lug bolt lockup on bolt actions has been around for over a hundred years, and got transitioned to quite a few semi auto rifles, and pump actions. The single locking lug on top of the bolt of pump and semi auto shotguns is another one that seems pretty common.

I also have a Ruger Mark I and a 22/45 and love the way they shoot. Just not thrilled with putting it back together after cleaning. My Buckmark is way easier to disassemble and assemble. But I wouldn't think of getting rid of the Rugers. Especially the Mk. I.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    What is that thing inside the breech with the white outline on the bottom that goes from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock?

I think that's just a reflection from the camera flash.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Cool pics; love those old battle rifles.
    If the last inch of the bore is in poor condition, a counterboring could solve the issues without altering the rifle's looks.
    Funny how they issued a rifle that "filled the gap" between the '03 and the BAR; the Garand finally made this and the bolt-action Springfield battlefield relics.
    Did you have to forge it yourself?
    No it was a present from a Mamluk warrior
    Great looking Johnson Big Al, as to quote Peg, "oh Al"