Home Main Category General Firearms

Hey Teach! Cast boolits!!!

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
I got those .45 cal. R.E.A.L. bullets cast after we got off the phone. I cast 100 of the 200 grain, and 100 of the 250 grain. 50 each for both of us. I'll get yours off in the mail tomorrow. The mailman is gonna be P.O.'d. I figure about an 8 lb. package! :roll2:

004_zps127de46a.jpg

Edit to add: Get busy on that .45 barrel; you gonna have cast bullets before you know it!
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Use the prepaid "If it fits it ships" boxes.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Use the prepaid "If it fits it ships" boxes.

:up: Definitely!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Man, that was quick! I just rolled in from the road trip! You must have had that lead pot on short-term standby!

Thanks!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Man, that was quick! I just rolled in from the road trip! You must have had that lead pot on short-term standby!

Thanks!
    Jerry

I did some casting yesterday afternoon for the .50 and .32 cal. muzzle loaders. Everything was already set up. Just plug in the pot throw in some ingots and let 'er rip!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,384 Senior Member
    "Boolits?" please.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    "Boolits?" please.

How about 'projectiles that make a trajectile'? Kugel? Balle? Kogel? Bala? Pulya? Bweld?
    ― Douglas Adams
    Works for me, no matter what you call them!
    Jerry
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    "Boolits?" please.

Dang dude, you going for grump of the year or what?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,015 Senior Member
    You shoot "boolits" out of "riifals"? Right?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Dang dude, you going for grump of the year or what?

Gene earned that title years ago- - - - -I think he's working on "Decade" or better!
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member

I'm a member over there. :up:

Boolits-- projectiles lovingly hand poured from molten lead for our shooting pleasure.
    Bullets--Machine made utilizing full length gas checked projectiles for the masses.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Boolits-- projectiles lovingly hand poured from molten lead for our shooting pleasure.
    Bullets--Machine made utilizing full length gas checked projectiles for the masses.

Awe, tennmike has a boo :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    Me too :up:

It mess with your haid bone when Jerry was on the line from my #?

I TRIED :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Me too :up:

It mess with your haid bone when Jerry was on the line from my #?

I TRIED :tooth:

Nope! Figured out who it was after he started talking. :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
    Elk creek wrote: »

Awe, tennmike has a boo :jester:

Pfft! I bet you cast a boolit or three yourself. I paraphrased that post from another source. Truth is the truth. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    Funny thing I shoot almost exclusively cast bullets, but I've never cast one my self.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    "Boolits?" please.

The Greeks, or possibly the Romans were casting lead projectiles for their slingshots. I wonder if the inventor held one up and said "Ladies and Gentlemen. . .I give you The Rock, Mark II"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Funny thing I shoot almost exclusively cast bullets, but I've never cast one my self.

(Enable mode ON) Well, get busy! There's a whole new phase of the shooting sport available to you- - - -scrounging lead, smelting, alloying, tinkering with lube recipies, discussing the pros and cons of steel VS aluminum molds, mold designs, equipment to buy, endless discussions on casting techniques, discussions on bullet sizing methods and results- - - - -the possibilities are endless! Get with it!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,384 Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm a grouch. It doesn't happen on this board, but on another one I used to belong to, all these "cute" names drove me crazy. "Winnie," Shottie," Remmie," all grated on my mind. ".257 Bob" is another one. Saying this, I realize I give currency to those who like to poke. And that's OK, too. If you want to say "shottie," to poke me, thereby surrendering a slight amount of dignity, go for it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,272 Senior Member
    But a nice and extremely knowledgeable grouch! On this forum it's kind of a term of endearment, like "You suck" or "I hate you!"
    So I just got back from the USPS. The erectile projectiles are in the mail, and should be there by the weekend, maybe. The post office is a little quirky with their deliveries. I placed them in packaging I think you will find useful. I didn't want to just put them in a couple of boxes and have the driving bands get all banged up. I wanted them to be received 'as cast', not 'as mutilated' by the postal service! :rotflmao:

Got that barrel completed yet? :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    (Enable mode ON) Well, get busy! There's a whole new phase of the shooting sport available to you- - - -scrounging lead, smelting, alloying, tinkering with lube recipies, discussing the pros and cons of steel VS aluminum molds, mold designs, equipment to buy, endless discussions on casting techniques, discussions on bullet sizing methods and results- - - - -the possibilities are endless! Get with it!
    Jerry

Sounds like Pandora's box! I know I will probably do it someday just right now isn't the right time. Psst, don't tell my wife though, she thinks I tinker with other stuff too much;-)
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm a grouch. It doesn't happen on this board, but on another one I used to belong to, all these "cute" names drove me crazy. "Winnie," Shottie," Remmie," all grated on my mind. ".257 Bob" is another one. Saying this, I realize I give currency to those who like to poke. And that's OK, too. If you want to say "shottie," to poke me, thereby surrendering a slight amount of dignity, go for it.

So I guess it's best not to call Eli Glockster, Glockman, The Glockmeister, Glockanator or anything like that? You must love SNL.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Got that barrel completed yet? :tooth:

The breech plug is rough-milled into a 7/8" octagon shape, threaded (5/8-24) and installed, and clocked to align with the barrel flats. I'm filing a dovetail-shaped barrel tang next, and fitting it to the stock. Once all that is done, it's time to figure where to put the flash hole, fabricate a flash hole liner, and install it. That's about 90% of getting reliable, fast ignition on a flinter, making sure the pan flash hits the hole predictably. With a proper sized and positioned flash hole a flintlock firearm with a high-quality lock will fire without powder in the pan about 20% of the time.

I'm headed to Memphis, and over to Jonesboro Arkansas tomorrow, and this afternoon I'm getting a root canal job. I doubt if I'll be in a mood to do any precision gunsmithing tonight!
    :drool:
    Jerry
    Root canal; yeah, that kind of cuts down on things you want to do. Post some pictures of the rifle barrel as you do the work, please. I've never seen that done.

And some info on the flash hole positioning as to how that's calculated. I'd like to build a .32 squirrel rifle this winter in flintlock. Any information would be appreciated.
    ― Douglas Adams
    The flash hole is fairly simple to position. Once the barrel and lock assembly are both inletted to their final position in the stock, use a little Dykem to stain the barrel in the area of the flash pan. Scribe a line at the top of the flash pan, and mark a point on that line that bisects the flash pan front to rear. The intersection of those two lines is the ideal position for the flash hole. Use a very small diameter center drill to make a pilot hole there. I use a stainless steel 1/4-28 bolt as the material for the flash hole liner, and drill a 3/32" hole in the end of the bolt about 3/4 of the length of the liner, then extend the hole with a 1/16" drill bit. Drill and tap the barrel or the breech plug (my breech plug aligns with the flash pan) for the liner, and adjust the depth of the drilled-out bolt so there's about 3/32" of the small hole remaining when the liner is installed into the threaded hole. Screw the liner in, cut it off, and file it flush with the barrel flat. That allows the main powder charge to come very close to the flash pan for fast, predictable ignition. Have fun!
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Gene earned that title years ago- - - - -I think he's working on "Decade" or better!

:roll:
    Jerry

I think he's at least an E-9 or Sargent Major Grump. But I also think he really isn't such a grump but enjoys the perks he gets with the title. Kinda like me with the .270 thing or Sam with Grammar.

:silly: :roll2: :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The flash hole is fairly simple to position. Once the barrel and lock assembly are both inletted to their final position in the stock, use a little Dykem to stain the barrel in the area of the flash pan. Scribe a line at the top of the flash pan, and mark a point on that line that bisects the flash pan front to rear. The intersection of those two lines is the ideal position for the flash hole. Use a very small diameter center drill to make a pilot hole there. I use a stainless steel 1/4-28 bolt as the material for the flash hole liner, and drill a 3/32" hole in the end of the bolt about 3/4 of the length of the liner, then extend the hole with a 1/16" drill bit. Drill and tap the barrel or the breech plug (my breech plug aligns with the flash pan) for the liner, and adjust the depth of the drilled-out bolt so there's about 3/32" of the small hole remaining when the liner is installed into the threaded hole. Screw the liner in, cut it off, and file it flush with the barrel flat. That allows the main powder charge to come very close to the flash pan for fast, predictable ignition. Have fun!
    Jerry

Thanks for the information! :up: I saved it to a notepad file. As soon as I can get a suitable barrel I'll be bugging you about a source for some of the other parts, especially the lock; that's the heart of a flintlock and needs to be quality. I've got some 1/4-28 bolts lying around; I messed up on an order a few years ago and ordered SS instead of CS.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Starting small with the liner thread allows you to step up to 5/16" and later 3/8" fine thread at a later date in case the liner burns out. Stainless will make the flash-wear erosion a much slower process than just drilling a flash hole in the chrome moly barrel, and using a liner also allows the hole to be counterbored from the chamber side to get the powder charge closer to the pan flash.
    Jerry