Home Main Category General Firearms

RIA Customer Service

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Okay, so the RIA Compact Tactical I just bought - as I mentioned in my post, had a recoil spring assembly that was a tad weak, which is why I didn't wring it out as much as I'd have liked. But it shot exceptionally well. Come to find out, this model was from 2002 and the recoil spring assembly is no longer made and the gun is about 1/4 inch shorter than current models, so the current recoil spring assembly (guide rod) will probably be 1/4 inch too long. Not a problem. I have a grinder. The plug should still work.

The good news is, after getting through to customer service, the parts will ship to me, free of charge! Under warranty! From a 2002 vintage gun.

This is about as good as it gets in the customer service department.

In the mean time, I've taken a GI spring and cut it down to use with the existing guide rod. It seems to work just fine and racking the slide shows a definite improvement in spring tension. I'll shoot it again tomorrow to make sure it operates properly. The GI spring is identical in diameter to the recoil spring I took out, so I just made it an inch longer. It feels adequate for the job.

If anyone is considering the RIA, I have to say the little beast is as nice as my old Colt Officer's Model from the middle 80s. Dimensionally, it's about the same and its accuracy is on par with the old Colt. These stubby barrels shoot well.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    Glad to hear they're taking care of you :up:

I had a question concerning my 10mm and the person I spoke with @ RIA was both knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with as well.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,385 Senior Member
    My experience with RIA was very good. Some guy out west, AZ I think, did the job for me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of high-dollar 1911s have Philippine frames and slides. I don't see why not.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ProbotmenaceProbotmenace New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    I recently picked up a RIA 1911 FS Tactical 2011.Great gun for half the cost of the "fancy" 1911's.I switched out all the springs with the Wilson Combat 316G Complete spring set.It's a stiffer recoil spring so muzzle jump has been reduced.I've ran about 400 rounds through it so far without any complaints.I love my RIA.
    001.jpg 98.8K