Home Main Category Personal Defense

New to concealed carry

ProbotmenaceProbotmenace New MemberPosts: 6 New Member
So I'm in the process of getting my CPL in Michigan.My carry pistol is going to be a .40 XDM.I've been looking in to what ammo to carry with it.One gunshop salesman recommended DRT frangible HP's.Passed on those....seemed kind of over hyped.I've also heard "If it's good enough for LE, it's good enough for the armed citizen".So many opinions,which way to go.Anybody with thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    Pretty much any ammo sold as "personal defense" from any reputable ammo mfgr will pass muster. They all fairly well conform to FBI standards.

That said, I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots, or the old standard, Federal Hydra-Shok. That's what my 9mm EDC rig carries.

My bedside rig, in .357 Mag, is stuffed full of Glaser Safety Slugs.

Mike

edit: I meant to say "my bedside rig which is right beside my 12 ga."
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    Most any defensive ammo from any major manufacturer will do the job defensive ammo is designed to do. Make holes in things that need holes. Find one or many that your gun likes to eat and impacts where you want.......make your choice.......load and go.

Do not rely on handgun ammo to work miracles. Put the rounds where they need to go and put them there until the threat goes away.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am not new to CCW, could have gone with .40 S&W, I opted for 9mm, Why? Simple, as far as I am concerned, it approaches and passes the point of diminishing returns, you trade faster shot recovery time for a mediocre increase in performance.
    I prefer the former over the latter always, like a titanium firing pin reduces lockup time and increases accuracy in some firearms.

I prefer lighter recoil and faster recovery time and greater overall accuracy.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    What everyone else has said....if you can find out what your local PD/SD uses it's not a bad idea to use the same assuming it functions well in your firearm...
    I normally use Hornady TAPS...

Good on you for avoiding the trick, go-fast ammo...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ProbotmenaceProbotmenace New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    If practice makes perfect I should be a decent shot. I've already went through about 6 of the Win bulk boxes.
    Yeah. That DRT seemed like a gimmick. Powder core ,it does this, it does that, blah blah blah.
    I'll trade my wife for her 9mm. It'll be tough to convince her. She really likes that M & P Shield.
    TrueTone911, look for stuff like Hornady Critical Duty ammo, meets FBI penetration standards etc.... spendy but a known name brand and a well known performer.

I use the same ammo in 9mm, things come full circle as many return to 9mm chamberings.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Good advice here, so let me just add a couple things...

1. As was said, ANY major brand of self defense hollow-point ammo will do the job. Specific brands have been tested and debated endlessly but bottom line is that shot placement is more important than the specific brand of ammo.

2. And, of course it makes perfect sense, use the ammo that your pistol "digests" without any jams or misfeeds (assuming it's properly lubed and not defective, etc).

3. If you read this forum and others a while, you'll find that there's a general debate regarding the two general categories of self defense ammo, 1) heavier bullet, lower velocity vs 2) lighter bullet, higher velocity. If you "do the math" you'll see that the faster & lighter bullet usually has the most foot-pounds of force, simply because it's velocity squared times mass, so velocity is the "controlling" factor. However, in the "real world" of actual self defense, heavier/slower vs lighter/faster bullets don't really have much difference in stopping the attacker. I suppose that mathematically, the faster bullet has a teeny advantage but that hasn't been borne out in real world "shoots" to any great degree. Placement is the major controlling factor, so please feel free to choose the self defense ammo that is best suited to your pistol and your "feel" when shooting it, lighter/faster or heavier/slower, makes no nevermind.

4. That being said, a personal preference, and I'll tell you exactly why... I've switched over to CorBon "PowrBall" ammo for all my self defense pistols. Yes this is of the lighter/faster category but that's not the reason I now use PowrBall. It's because of the rounded hollow tip, created by CorBon putting a small hollow plastic sphere into the cavity created by the hollow point round.

Now you might read "experts" who say that this little hollow plastic sphere causes a "shaped charge" effect but that is so much BS. The plastic sphere is way too thin to have any real effect upon impact -- it disintegrates immediately. And I suppose that the rounded tip is slightly more aerodynamic than a regular hollow point bullet but you'd probably need a computer to measure the difference.

The SOLE reason I'm using the rounded tip CorBon "PowrBall" is that with the rounded tip, it feeds smoothly up the feed ramp of my pistols. This is especially helpful if the pistol is a compact model and maybe the feed ramp that leads into the chamber is particularly steep. And if the particular hollow point bullet is somewhat deep-cut, it might (I say might) snag or get sideways a bit during feed. And the rounded plastic nose of the PowrBall ammo is therefore a plus. And of course, the ammo itself is major brand, totally reliable, and excellent for self defense (as with many other brands).

So, IF your choice of self defense ammo feeds fine and you're happy with it, great. But you might just want to give the CorBon PowrBall type a try as well. Can't hurt, eh?

Keep us all informed and welcome to the forum, and let us know what ammo you choose.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    Since you're new here... WELCOME :beer:

Over the years I've tested quite a few different 40S&W loads into wet newsprint, YES, I know wet newsprint isn't tissue, HOWEVER it is a repeatable, cheap medium to compare bullet "x" to bullet "y"

I'll be back momentarily with some pics.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

155 Gold dot
    gd40-2.jpg

135 Fed HST, 180gr Gold Dot Short Barrel (from full sized Glock22)
    Glock1.jpg

!55 Gold Dot, Win 165 Ranger SXT
    Glock3.jpg

180gr Win White box, from sub compact Kahr PM40 and Full sized Glock 22
    WWB180-2.jpg
    WWB180.jpg

Hornady 180 XTP and180 Win SXT
    40180XTP-SXT.jpg

Win 165 Ranget SXT and Horn 165 Critical Defense (shot through a pillow into the newsprint to simulate a heavy "fluffy" coat
    40RangerT-CD.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

155 and 180gr Fed HST
    g22_zps67c58a9b.jpg

FYI, the Hornady Z-Max "Zombie" ammo is nothing but green polymer in their Critical Defense bullet, and they don't bother using nickled cases for it.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    For someone who carries, is something designed to perform through barriers a desirable feature or something you would want to avoid?

Depends entirely on where you spend the bulk of your time and the likely threats you may face.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Now, I've presented all the info I have, YOU get to pic the one you'll use :tooth:

Most any of them will "work" if you put them in the right place.

Personally, I carry the HSTs in my full sized G22 and the Win Ranger T 165gr in my PM40

Paul, I like your tests, I have seen recovered bullets from cadavers from the morgue, and expansion seems about the same for the same bullets, working EMS I have also observed 9mm ball ammo. well placed shots have terminal effects, shot placement seems to trump ammo performance somewhat.
    Hey guys thanks for all the great info. Looks like I've got some testing to do at the range. I think I'll test some Hornady Cr. Def. and Fed. HST and go from there. Again thanks for the input. I'm already impressed with this forum. Keep up the good work guys.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    For .40 I like 155-165 hollow points. Any manufacturer of good SD stuff will do. Make sure they cycle flawlessly and shoot that pistol ragged practicing. 165Gr. Winchester White Box in 100 round boxes is great bulk practice ammo.

:that:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    There is a difference between what an ammo salesman writes and what someone reliable as our brother Paul has proved by.means of expensive experiments, I believe Paul's findings because what I have seen corresponds with his findings.

Just reading in in a book does not make those things true, bullets are no exception.