Home Main Category Personal Defense

22 LR, 25 ACP, or 32 ACP. Beretta Bobcat/Tomcat! Which would you choose for SD?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
I am now in the process of buying a small SD pistol to slip in my pocket with no holster. Although I do reload, I'm not sure this is the platform I want to mess with reloading for.

After a lot of thought, I have pretty much discarded the 25 ACP in favor of a hyper-velocity 22 LR chambering. I believe a 22 hyper-velocity lead hollow point would be much more effective than a hollow-point 25 ACP. However, here comes the question: What about the 32 ACP? Here we have a bullet more than twice the weight of the 22 LR, at about the same velocity, from a 2.5 inch barrel. For what its worth I know the 22 LR lead HP bullet will mushroom satisfactorily, but I am not quite so sure about a hollow point 32 ACP. The CCI Velocitors (40 grain bullet) have excellent terminal performance and mushroom like no other 22 LR.

To regress a bit: I am not looking for a knockdown, drop at the shot round. Those I have. I am looking at the Beretta Bobcat/Tomcat for a drop-in-the-pocket pistol that will serve in an unexpected situation.

Thoughts please.

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Go with the 32...with FMJ ammo .....and magazine capacity burst. .......Then. pull the knife
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Go with the 32...with FMJ ammo .....and magazine capacity burst. .......Then. pull the knife

Yo mama didn't raise no fool!
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Honestly, for the size, weight, and reliability issues that the little "top break" Berettas are famous for.....I'd go with a Ruger LCP.

Smaller gun, lighter gun, more reliable, and a more potent cartridge. I still consider it a "FMJ ammo then pull the knife" gun......you just won't have to pull the knife quite as quickly as you would with the Beretta.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member

That was funny.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Ok take 2, 22 lr and add them up to a ......44
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Eli wrote: »
    Honestly, for the size, weight, and reliability issues that the little "top break" Berettas are famous for.....I'd go with a Ruger LCP.

Smaller gun, lighter gun, more reliable, and a more potent cartridge. I still consider it a "FMJ ammo then pull the knife" gun......you just won't have to pull the knife quite as quickly as you would with the Beretta.

I agree the 380 ACP is superior to either the 22 LR, 25 ACP, or 32 ACP. However, I have had a bit of experience at the range and do not feel comfortable with the Ruger LCP.

I like the 380 ACP and am saving to buy the Sig-Sauer p232. Now that is one fine 380!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Not a lot of small .22s are rated for hyper velocity. Most semi's I am aware of specifically warn against it. I think the little NAAs also warn against it. On semi autos, they will beat themselves to death, possibly ruining the gun cause the bolt slams to hard against the buffer.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    Since they're all the same size in the Beretta, I'd go with the .32. None listed is going to knock down an assailant, but then no pocket pistol is. I love the Berettas, carried one for years in .25 as a SA auto. Not quite acceptable now, but that was 30 years ago when choices were a lot smaller than today. And, the SA autos were smaller than the DA Berettas are today.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Since they're all the same size in the Beretta, I'd go with the .32. None listed is going to knock down an assailant, but then no pocket pistol is. I love the Berettas, carried one for years in .25 as a SA auto. Not quite acceptable now, but that was 30 years ago when choices were a lot smaller than today. And, the SA autos were smaller than the DA Berettas are today.

I have a 32 ACP in a German Mauser Pistol my dad brought back from Europe in WWII. I used to carry it but I felt kinda naked and finally went back to carrying my rather larger and heavier 9mm S&W. Yeah, it's bigger and not as handy, but I have a good bit more faith in a 9mm than I do in the diminutive 32 ACP.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Honestly, for the size, weight, and reliability issues that the little "top break" Berettas are famous for...
    I have a Tomcat. Has had about 150 rds through it - no crack yet. I'm given to understand that even if it does crack, it doesn't affect usability - although that doesn't sound quite right to me. I guess I'll make a decision if/when it does crack. Its 1999 vintage, not a "wide slide" version, so I'm not sure where that places it in the "crackablity" range. I *do* make sure to use only lower pressure ammo in it per Beretta's specs. The little tip barrel is nice - my automatic-adverse wife can shoot it without ever having to rack a slide.

Didn't like it at first, but when I replaced the stock plastic grips with a pair of Rosewood Altamonts, I was able to make friends with the little gun. I don't know if it just fits my hand better with the new grips, or its all in my head because I spent money on it and it now has pretty grips - but I now enjoy shooting it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I did much testing and comparisons between .380 acp and .32acp and I always preferred the performance of the .32acp overall , esp German ammo, better penetration while many .380 acp rounds of that time would easily fragment in a few inches of cardboard, while .32 acp would pass through almost intact with some expansion.

I was most impressed with the performance of the .32 acp from suppressed pistols.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have two Tomcats; one blue and one stainless.

It's a meh pistol, and a meh cartridge, and if you can get past that then go for it.

You might be better served with a Keltec P-32 , or a Seecamp.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member

:that:
    I'd go with the .22 or .32 since all three are basically 'get off me now' handshake distance pistols. I'd rather have my .44 Mag. derringer. It's smaller, makes a lot bigger hole, and is about the same size and weight. And has the possibility of setting the target on fire with the horrendous muzzle blast.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,474 Senior Member
    I have the 32 myself, and it is with me often.
    Sometimes I have wondered if I wouldn't be better off with the 22lr though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I don't currently have any of the three. If I did my choice would be solid bullets. They at least have a CHANCE of getting to the Tootsie Roll center. Either of the center fire rounds would be my first choice, simply for increased reliability of ignition. At least in MY head. Just my decidedly unedumacted opinon.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I've heard the .32 ACP rounds are much improved over the past ones. I don't know if this is true or not and haven't owned a .32 pistol in 40 years or so.

It's been years since I experienced a misfire with a .22.
    Gene, they had this German / European (sterile) .32 acp ammo, FMJ ball maybe steel jacket / nickle plated or something, kind of hot ammo and it did amazing things, I liked it way more than .380 acp. of its time,
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I bought a 32 Beretta to use as a cemetery gun. It works well. I like it a lot.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    sherwood wrote: »
    I bought a 32 Beretta to use as a cemetery gun. It works well. I like it a lot.

What's a cemetery gun? A last resort to keep you out of the cemetery?

I tried to add that a FMJ round is great as I don't think a .32 has enough FPS to expand a bullet.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I have several friends that carry LCP's and they all keep ball in them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    :that:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

I tried to add that a FMJ round is great as I don't think a .32 has enough FPS to expand a bullet.

Gene, I agree with the 32 and dubious expansion. That's why I'm considering the 22 LR.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    N320AW wrote: »
    Gene, I agree with the 32 and dubious expansion. That's why I'm considering the 22 LR.

From a pure energy standpoint, I believe the .32 has an advantage. I'd definitely research it before I went out on a limb. Dubious .22 expansion, too. I believe, but do not know that a .32 would penetrate deeper.

I had a Beretta .22 tip up pistol, and it was quite accurate and easy to shoot.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    I am pretty sure I do NOT want mushrooming with rounds this small, as a bullet designed to stop in a bunny rabbit probably will not make it to the Tootsie Roll center of Mr. 200-pound felon. FMJ's for me thanks!

You're going to have much more reliable ignition source with a centerfire round - not that the good .22 stuff is unreliable, but I think most all of us have had the experience of having to rotate a .22LR in the chamber to get a strike on a place where they actually managed to paint priming compound. I want BANG, not CLICK.

Keep in mind that whatever you're reading for specs on a .22 load were most likely generated for a rifle. How much are you giving up with a 2" barrel? Most of the data you'll see for the .32 is for probably less than 4" of barrel. Worth remembering.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I had a Browning .32 a long time ago. I traded it for a 1940 Ford in 1971. The Ford ran well, had a 100 hp engine in it. I later sold it but can't remember what I got for it.
    Was it a sedan or pickup truck? 2 door 4 door? Details Please or post a stock photo.
    A .22 LR will out penetrate a .25 acp when shot into a phone book. By quite a bit.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I think all three of them would succeed in pissing off a 250 pound ruffian in a leather jacket. But, I don't know if .380 would do any better, and I carry one of them occasionally, so take your pick. I would probably rule out a rimfire, though.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My Walther PP (larger model) is in .32 and these days you can get a .380 or even a 9 Sillymeter that is the same size and weighs less. I have no plans to get rid of it, very well made and surprisingly accurate. Plus I was stationed in Ulm Germany for 4 years where they are made. My oldest daughter has one too. Police turn-ins from the 60s.

PP models in .32 hold 8 rounds in the magazine, not 7 like the PPK(PPks) .380/.32 models. I wouldn't hesitate to put 8 quick rounds of Winchester Silvertips or a mix of them and FMJs in BGs boilermaker if the :fan:

Not my first choice, but that has been discussed Ad nauseum.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!