Home Main Category Personal Defense

22 LR, 25 ACP, or 32 ACP. Beretta Bobcat/Tomcat! Which would you choose for SD?

2»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    For a pocket rocket, I'd prefer 2 rounds of .22 Mag FMJ over a magazine full of of the .22/.25/.32 offerings out there. Take the grip panels off, and this one just about disappears in a pocket.

526935_01_hi_standard_22_mag_derringer_640.jpg

Jerry
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,331 Senior Member
    FWIY, I drop this .22 mag in my pocket when I'm running errands on the weekend.

MagHG---Both-300.jpg
    Folded up it's smaller than a pack of smokes.
    I believe I know all of the disadvantages but it's better than nuthin'.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    My Walther PP (larger model) is in .32 and these days you can get a .380 or even a 9 Sillymeter that is the same size and weighs less. I have no plans to get rid of it, very well made and surprisingly accurate. Plus I was stationed in Ulm Germany for 4 years where they are made. My oldest daughter has one too. Police turn-ins from the 60s.

PP models in .32 hold 8 rounds in the magazine, not 7 like the PPK(PPks) .380/.32 models. I wouldn't hesitate to put 8 quick rounds of Winchester Silvertips or a mix of them and FMJs in BGs boilermaker if the :fan:

Not my first choice, but that has been discussed Ad nauseum.

PPK-S has the same grip as a PP. I've got a PPK-S in .380, and it's neat and cool, but a little too heavy for what it is.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    PPK-S has the same grip as a PP. I've got a PPK-S in .380, and it's neat and cool, but a little too heavy for what it is.

1968 GCA caused the PPk not to be importable so they made the dimensions a tad bigger with the PPks.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    A cemetery gun is a small gun that I can hide in my pocket. Over the years I have had problems with dogs, coons, and people when in the cemetery alone. I spend a lot of time in the cemetery doing family history research.
    What's a cemetery gun? A last resort to keep you out of the cemetery?

I tried to add that a FMJ round is great as I don't think a .32 has enough FPS to expand a bullet.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
    Big Chief wrote: »
    1968 GCA caused the PPk not to be importable so they made the dimensions a tad bigger with the PPks.

Now they make PPK in the US. The S has the slide of a PPK, Grip of a PP.
    Now they make PPK in the US. The S has the slide of a PPK, Grip of a PP.

Years ago Interarms logo was on them. Same good pistol, just lacking the Ulm/Do stamp.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    For a pocket rocket, I'd prefer 2 rounds of .22 Mag FMJ over a magazine full of of the .22/.25/.32 offerings out there. Take the grip panels off, and this one just about disappears in a pocket.

Jerry

Recently I recounted how an old friend of mine was saved by such an arm concealed in a wallet holster, the perp achieved room temperature in record time.

I did however see more than a few cold stiffs on the slab, put down by the lowly humble .32acp.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    between ,22LR, .25ACP or .32ACP, I would choose... .22WMR, in a NAA Mini Revolver. Specially developed .22 Magnum SD ammo from Hornady, Federal and Winchester give around a thousand feet per second velocities out of mini revolver barrels and Critical Defense and similar bullets assure amazing penetration and dramatic expansion. I don't care how big and strong you are - you do not want to take repeated shots centermass or in the head with modern .22 Magnum SD ammunition.

Second choice - .32ACP, in a KelTec P32. Nothing in that caliber is lighter, thinner, more concealable, more reliable, and less expensive. And it is a much easier gun to control than a micro .380ACP. That means faster and better aimed follow up shots. Nobody can survive taking multiple well placed hits in rapid succession from any caliber. With handguns, bullet placement, more than any dimension, any velocity, anything else, is where your prospects for a successful outcome to a life and death situation reside.
    I tried shooting one of those NAA in .22 Mag and I couldn't hold on to it. It was basically a one shot gun for me. I had one in .22 LR and (I seem to remember) one in .22 Short, if such a thing existed. I couldn't hit much with either of them, but carried one for years.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    I have heard of the 32 ACP's lack of penetration. Most 32's come with FMJ bullets. These I do not trust. A FMJ will penetrate more that a SP or HP, but theoretically does little damage. Obviously, the purpose of an SD gun is to stop an aggressor. I do not believe, except for a head-shot, that any of the noted calibers are capable of that.

Case in point: A couple of decades or more ago, a video camera crew was able to videotape a bad guy after he had robbed a store. The police arrived in numbers as the BG sat down on the sidewalk, against the building. He carried a S&W 357. There were more than 20 officers across the street while he sat there, not showing any hostilities. After a very few minutes, the BG slowly repositioned himself, and in doing so, moved his revolver from his right side to his left. At this point, as the pistol was more or less pointed toward the officers, they fired in unison. The subject was hit by more than 20 357 loads and stayed alive for a minute or so until he collapsed in his sitting position.

Now, what about stopping power. I do not believe, from this or other incidents, that there is such a thing. As hunters well know, there are many variables that affect the killing of an animal. Position from the shooter, muscular tension, range, etc. It's an age-old argument about which caliber of gun is most effective. This question has almost worn itself out. However, I still believe, as most hunters do, that a well effective first shot, no matter the caliber, is what brings the bacon home or puts the bad guy down.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

Jerry

Why not any of the tipped varmint rounds instead of the FMJ's?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Get some hot European ammo, .32 acp FMJ stuff, dunno if the stuff I played with is even available anymore.

Note; this ammo had steel jackets / lead cores / nickle plated and would stick to a magnet.

You would be surprised at what .32 acp ammo with the right bullet can do, I was.

I would handload it with a non expanding bullet of the hardest material available in the same weight or somewhat less than its lead equivalent.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Why not any of the tipped varmint rounds instead of the FMJ's?

Heavy clothing, belly fat, leather biker vest, etc. In spite of pie in the sky fantasies about shot placement, a deep hole anywhere is more likely to deter any more aggressive behavior than a big, bloody, shallow one. If I'm forced to use a mouse gun to keep myself from getting killed, the time and/or opportunity for accurate shooting has gone by long ago.
    Jerry
    Well, I ordered a new Beretta Bobcat 22 LR online. This is a new pistol in the box. My first thing to do is function test the pistol with various cartridges.I want to use the CCI Velocitors as a SD load. This is a great load in my Remington Model 504 rifle, but what it will do in this pocket pistol is yet to be seen.

Will post an evaluation soon.

BTW, I paid too much for this pistol on an online site. That is what a few Jack Daniels and a computer will get for you!:bang:
    Buds gun shops prices are a bit lower and with free shipping & handling it adds up to a bit of savings.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    ...one in .22 Short, if such a thing existed. I couldn't hit much with either of them, but carried one for years.
    Yep, it existed and they're still being made. I just bought one for fun. Can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, but its fun to shoot. Still trying to figure out how best to hold it! I just have to laugh when I look at the target after emptying a 5 shot cylinder at it with this gun. At 7-ish feet. Haven't figured out how to stay on paper at 7 yards!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Zorba, are you reffering to the NAA mini revolver ?
    I had one in .22 LR and I found it to be very accurate from 30 to 40 feet.

I did shoot it with lots of different ammo, I really learned to shoot it well with
    CB rounds so I could learn how to grip it properly, once I learned that, shooting
    with regular power ammo was a snap.

I would gladly buy a used one from anyone willing to sell one.
    N320AW wrote: »
    Well, I ordered a new Beretta Bobcat 22 LR online. This is a new pistol in the box. My first thing to do is function test the pistol with various cartridges.I want to use the CCI Velocitors as a SD load. This is a great load in my Remington Model 504 rifle, but what it will do in this pocket pistol is yet to be seen.

Will post an evaluation soon.

BTW, I paid too much for this pistol on an online site. That is what a few Jack Daniels and a computer will get for you!:bang:

Well, I received the pistol yesterday and took it to the range today. Fired about 150 rounds with 7 types of ammo. The CCI Blazer and Remington Yellow Jackets came in a sure winner with no malfunctions. The others were so-so: Winchester Power-Point, SK HV, CCI Velocitors, RWS 50, CCI mini-mags, Remington Golden HP, etc.

The above loads never failed to fire, but hung-up in the slide, Maybe a few more hundred rounds will accommodate the best ammo.