Home Main Category Personal Defense

choosing between IWB or OWB- What did it for you?

gunwalkergunwalker MemberPosts: 479 Member
I am looking at a Crossbreed IWB for a mil spec 1911. I need some guidance on the most practical choice. BTW, I am 5'7" 175lbs,age 70.
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    I have been using a holster similar to the Crossbreed, made by Alien Gear. They also have a combo that can be purchased that does both. http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/alien-gear-products/alien-gear-2-holster-combo.html/

The IWB model has become my everyday carry for the SW Shield and I have been meaning to order the combo for my Commander.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    IWB or OWB for me depends on the weather or clothing worn or driving or not.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    Too much me IWB.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    gunwalker wrote: »
    I am looking at a Crossbreed IWB for a mil spec 1911. I need some guidance on the most practical choice. BTW, I am 5'7" 175lbs,age 70.

Assuming at your age you're retired and can wear what you want to I'd go OWB. That's how I carry my 29. This has the added benefit of keeping the worst of the sweat off the gun. If I had it to do over I would have gone with a cross draw like Ned uses.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I personally can't stand carrying OWB, I'm very conscious of the gun just "hanging out there", off of my belt. I actually find IWB to be infinitely more comfortable. I prefer a solid kydex holster, but the hybrids are pretty comfortable as well. Whichever you get, make sure it has a full sweat guard.....the hammer on a 1911 will tend to dig into your side if you don't have something in between you and the gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I agree with Ned if I use a holster for concealed carry. But the guns I presently own that I carry I put in my pocket.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I carry both ways. I've used a N82 holster for my full size 1911 all summer. It's very comfortable and the design keeps sweat away from the gun.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    I generally keep both types of holsters around for my carry guns....just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing....I prefer OWB during cold weather....but that's just me...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Thanks guys. Your insights appreciated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    CPJ can be bribed to make an IWB, you must bug him alot and he likes cash, Cheeto's, and .22 ammo, not necessarily in that order.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    When I worked vice, I usually didn't carry a holster unless it was a raid or something. A holster will make you just as soon as a gun will make you. I carried a Model 38 and carried it in my pocket. Of course there was a lot less me then than there is now.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You do realize that statement made very little sense ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    If you're talking to Gene, I understood his point perfectly. I don't agree with his holster comment, but I've not worked vice. And I think for a lot of us, there's a lot more of us now than there was then.
    Overkill is underrated.
    What was Genes point? I sure missed it, on actions (raids) arms such as shotguns or MP5 were used or the odd G3, backup sidearms kept holstered in reserve, Vice changed greatly over the years, esp organized crime of the 1980s and 1990s in larger East coast cities, NY, NJ, etc. so just a single detail like a holster does not get anyone "made" as a LEO necessarily, anymore than a gun in a pocket, unless you stand out in a particular group because of it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    I think Genes point was that cops and guys like us use holsters, the average bad guy stuck his gun in a belt, pocket, or had an underling carry it for him.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    He was working undercover. There you probably don't want folks to know that you're an LEO. Their firearms are small and concealable, a Smith 38 being the original Bodyguard it was a shrouded-hammer J-frame. To my never-been-in-LE mind, he was posing as somebody he wasn't. But I've never been in LE, so I probably don't know what he was doing. But I kinda doubt he worked undercover in uniform with a shotgun, MP5, or anything of the sort.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I think Genes point was that cops and guys like us use holsters, the average bad guy stuck his gun in a belt, pocket, or had an underling carry it for him.
    I can buy that.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Maybe I should have pointed out that there is not more of me but what there is has been redistributed. My butt has moved from the rear to the front.
    gunwalker wrote: »
    Maybe I should have pointed out that there is not more of me but what there is has been redistributed. My butt has moved from the rear to the front.
    no pictures please, maybe see a proctologist and have it put back :uhm:
  • NRANRA Member Posts: 112 Member
    Strictly IWB x 2
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer
    Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I generally keep both types of holsters around for my carry guns....just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing....I prefer OWB during cold weather....but that's just me...

Ditto. :that:

The only one I may carry on occasion that doesn't have an IWB holster is the 6" Dan Wesson.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    My point is generally an IWB is easier to conceal than an OWB. And a holster will give you away as a CCW packing gun as soon as a gun will, so if concealment is your primary concern, I'd go IWB.

We never, ever used shotguns or certainly not MP 5s on a raid. A raid for us was conducted without much fuss and never by giving away that we were cops there to serve warrants. No long guns, and we left the house as in the same shape we found it. No over-reacting.

SWAT raids are not my style. But then, I was working drugs/vice, not crack-houses and hard-armed bad guys, which were after my time.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Since I'm skinny only a OWB works for me.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Disappointed! Diamond D, makers of the OWB I use, has suspended production of anything that isn't part of their Alaskan Guide series. Might have to go with Nightengale Leather.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Lately, I've taken to using the Remora #8. In it, I can carry 4 different guns of mine. The Kahr CW9, the XD-S, The Rock Island Tac Compact and my 2" Snub Revolver. It's IWB all the way. What I like best about it, is I can shift it to several different positions nearly instantly while in the car.

While driving, I like to shift it over to cross draw because it's more comfortable while sitting and one doesn't have to shift their body forward to facilitate a draw. It can be done while sitting up straight with no one outside the car being the wiser. It can then be drawn with either the left or right hand.

It can be carried nearly all points of the clock without clipping or unclipping. The cant can be adjusted without doing anything other than shifting the attitude of the holster and gun.

It's my go-to casual gun sheathe.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    When I worked vice, I usually didn't carry a holster unless it was a raid or something. A holster will make you just as soon as a gun will make you. I carried a Model 38 and carried it in my pocket. Of course there was a lot less me then than there is now.

Gene, When I worked Homicide, I most often wore an Alissi rig, a shoulder holster that carried the firearm in a vertical position, butt forward. I always thought I would like a small of back holster, but never bought one. I could never get used to an IWB, guess I was afraid of shooting my family jewels, LOL..............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Gene, When I worked Homicide, I most often wore an Alissi rig, a shoulder holster that carried the firearm in a vertical position, butt forward. I always thought I would like a small of back holster, but never bought one. I could never get used to an IWB, guess I was afraid of shooting my family jewels, LOL..............Robin

I had one of those horizontal shoulder holsters, from which my 1911 fell out of once (reported here.) While they're comfortable, you have to wear a jacket to conceal them. Hardest to conceal of all of them for me. I have one now, but don't wear it. I also have a "Tanker" style holster for my 29, and an original-style Broomhandle holster, neither of which are concealable.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    I purchased a Galco Combat Master Concealment Holster Mdl. CM266 for my Colt Commander, but also carry my Colt Lt.Wt. Ofc. model it is OWB and very comfortable. I also have an old Bianchi Askins Avenger OWB holster for my Commander which also works for my Ofc. model.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bianchi+askins+avenger&id=65CC18600FE609F963C5AA18C3E01593AB31FCF9&FORM=IQFRBA

When I need a IWB holster I use my Milt Sparks Executive Companion, but have not found it as comfortable as either of my above OWB holsters. I was starting to get a numbness on my right hip, so switched to OWB for awhile. Even during the Summer I found I could wear comfortable garments to conceal the weapon. Worked for me.
    Combat Master is a good holster
    even for revolvers.
    Welcome aboard !