November election, interesting races in your state?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
What interesting and hotly contested races do you have pending in your state for the November election?

Nationally, it's looking reasonably possible that the Senate may go Republican, with maybe 4-5 swing states that are yet too close to call but are leaning red-ish.

Here in Texas, incumbent Sen. Cornyn is a shoo-in for Senate but the state races are pretty lively.

For gubernator, we've got Gregg Abbott (R) vs Wendy Davis (Obamaite), with Wendy trailing and now starting to run vicious ads taunting Abbott's being wheelchair bound (he was paralyzed waist down from a tree falling on him, would you believe).

Lt. Gov we've got former conservative talk show dude Dan Patrick (R) vs a gal named Leticia Van de Putte. I'm not making up that name. And she looks just like her name. I'd post her photo but there are forum rules about nasty pics, y'know.

Plus a Democrat named "Sam Houston" running for Atty Genl. I've got zero idea whether he's a descendant but ya gotta love it.

And a 3rd gen George P. Bush on the ballot for Land Commish (in Texas, the Land Commission is very powerful, controlling much of the oil leasing).

Right now it looks like a Republican sweep but ya never know. Obama's coattails are of course very short right now so things are devolving into local name calling and such.

What's happening in your state? And do you think that the Senate will go Republican?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,425 Senior Member
    Gotta put RINO Lamar Alexander back into the senate one more time, one of those "hold your nose and push the R button" sort of things! He got a little competition from a real conservative in the primary this time, but the good ole boy network puled his fat out of the fire. Alexander has been in politics way too long- - - -governor of Tennessee, chancellor of UT, some sort of ambassador, and Senator 3 days past forever. His Senate buddy Bob Corker is no better, so that will be the next big challenge, trying to unseat him!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    It must be the attempt to vote out Dem Senator Hagen,
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    In Flori"duh"

Gov. Rick Scott ( R ) vs. former Gov. Charlie "flopper" Crist (D) (I) (R) or whatever he decides for the election.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Gotta put RINO Lamar Alexander back into the senate one more time, one of those "hold your nose and push the R button" sort of things!
    Jerry

Lamar is at least somewhat harmless and benign, like that lump on my rear. Slowly Texas has slid toward more and more conservative candidates, especially on the state level, and continues to send mmm... "okay" moderate-to-slightly conservative people to the Senate.

Thing has been recently, and not just in Texas, is that the growth of the Teaparty and its influence, even if "legit" Teaparty candidates don't get elected, the voters put pressure on the elected moderates and hold their feet to the conservative fire to a fair degree of effectiveness.

Such influence varies from state to state, but at least it's better than sending someone to the US Senate and never hearing from them for 6 years. Things have improved.

I shudder to think of a Democrat controlled Senate in the last 2 years of the Obama regime. Lord help us or we'll see people like Eric Holder or John Kerry (who served in Vietnam) on the Supreme Court. Eeek!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Dan, thanks for the Charlie "Flopper" Crist tag! Good one!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,058 Senior Member
    Kansas is a gonna be a nightmare....

The Dem running for Senate dropped out, leaving an Independent named Orman to run against Pat Robertson...while I think it's way past time for Robertson to be put out to pasture...this "Independent" is about as Democrat as they get

The Governors race is touch and go...Brownback is a friend to gun owners and I'm solidly behind him. His opponent, Davis, is a liberal of monumental proportions...Problem is...Brownback has pissed off a lot of Republicans in the legislature and they are supporting Davis....it's gonna be touch and go here...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    What interesting and hotly contested races do you have pending in your state for the November election?

Nationally, it's looking reasonably possible that the Senate may go Republican, with maybe 4-5 swing states that are yet too close to call but are leaning red-ish.

Here in Texas, incumbent Sen. Cornyn is a shoo-in for Senate but the state races are pretty lively.

For gubernator, we've got Gregg Abbott (R) vs Wendy Davis (Obamaite), with Wendy trailing and now starting to run vicious ads taunting Abbott's being wheelchair bound (he was paralyzed waist down from a tree falling on him, would you believe).

Lt. Gov we've got former conservative talk show dude Dan Patrick (R) vs a gal named Leticia Van de Putte. I'm not making up that name. And she looks just like her name. I'd post her photo but there are forum rules about nasty pics, y'know.

Plus a Democrat named "Sam Houston" running for Atty Genl. I've got zero idea whether he's a descendant but ya gotta love it.

And a 3rd gen George P. Bush on the ballot for Land Commish (in Texas, the Land Commission is very powerful, controlling much of the oil leasing).

Right now it looks like a Republican sweep but ya never know. Obama's coattails are of course very short right now so things are devolving into local name calling and such.

What's happening in your state? And do you think that the Senate will go Republican?

Sam, one Texas Senate race of interest is here in District 18. Glen Hager, the current Senator from this district is running for State Comptroller and if elected there will resign his seat in the Senate leaving a vacancy, which will be filled by a special election held in December. Two Republican candidates will be running against each other to fill this vacancy, Lois KolKortz and Gary Gates.

Lois is currently the State Representative from District 13, the Brenham area (She lives in Brenham) and is well schooled on the border crisis as she is on other conservative issues. Gates is basically a one issue candidate at this point. Lois has 10 years experience at law making in the Texas House and is the most qualified. Gates is pissed off (With good reason) at the Child Welfare Services for busting into his home and confiscating his kids, of which many are adopted.

I like Gary, but this is not his time and he needs to chill and learn other issues besides his anger over the invasion of his home by feds to take his children. BTW all his kids were returned very soon afterward and the CWS Department was scolded by I believe, a local judge who got his kids back. Like I said, I like Gary, and he is a good conservative, but he's preaching one issue. Lois is up to speed on all the issues. She has really been involved with Perry on the border and I've heard her talk at length on the subject.

AND this woman not only preaches the 2nd Amendment, she lives it. She's a hunter from hell (I posted a pick of a big whitetail she killed and if you go to her website you will see pics of her dove hunting). She's also a past collegiate golfer having played for 4 years in college for TCU. She is said to still be an excellent golfer. Let's see now, she's not bad looking, she's a Conservative, she hunts, she fishes, she plays golf and she's an experienced legislator! What's Not to Love?

I hope she gets elected but I also hope Gary will continue his pursuit of a political career here in Texas, because he has the potential to do a lot of good. He's really a good guy. Anyway, I'll be doing my part to help get Lois elected this time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We have a good state AG, Pam Bondi who I hope gets reelected. Good sense about guns and Stand Your Ground unlike her challengers.

Oh, the Governors race is politics at its worst here, attack Ads ain't the word for the stuff BOTH sides have been spewing on TV.

To the consternation of some on here I'm not so sure the incumbent Rick $cott deserves to be retained over the former Gov Charlie Crist who is running as a Dem this time.

Judges, we almost always vote to send them packing.

Amendments on the ballot are worded carefully and even since they have tried to clarify what Yes and No means, they still are a minefield of carefully selected wording that is more than what meets the eye. Calls for research and careful scrutiny before you can make a decision.

I'll vote fer who I want and so should everyone else on here, this is America and I'll defend that right whether I agree with their choices or not.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Yup! The govs race is getting pretty toxic!! Crist rode in on Jeb Bush's coat tails the first time he was gov and he didn't run for a second term because he thought he was a shoe in as an Indie for Senator, but even the South Florida voters didn't trust the butt wipe and elected Rubio. Scott has been busy the last four years cleaning up after Crist!!
    The other race is for our local congressman. The inc. Steve Southerland is a local business man who supports small business and the military, a very large presence in out area. Running against him is Gwen Graham, daughter of a former Gov. and she is a Kerry/Pelosi/Obama supporter. We've met Southerland several times and he is just a regular guy, not your normal carrier politician, he actually has worked in his life!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,222 Senior Member
    In the Michigan governor race, it looks like our Republican governor, Rick Snyder will be reelected. Our senate seat is open but Land (the Republican) ran a crappy campaign and the RNC pulled out their ads. It looks like we will be stuck with Gary Peters. There are a few open congressional seats and all of them are either red or pink.

A mixed bag in purple Michigan.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Politicians, used car salesmen, insurance salesman and TV preachers are in the same boat in my opinion.

I trust most of them about as far as I can throw them!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Lamar is at least somewhat harmless and benign, like that lump on my rear.

Lamar Alexander harmless and benign? :fan::fan::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

http://www.redstate.com/diary/jayp/2013/07/27/senator-lamar-alexanders-fishy-voting-record/

http://bradleycountynews.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/lamar-alexander-voted-for-obamacare-but-said-he-didnt/
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Politicians, used car salesmen, insurance salesman and TV preachers are in the same boat in my opinion.

I trust most of them about as far as I can throw them!

and I bet that you are not able to even pick up most
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    and I bet that you are not able to even pick up most

There's a few I would like to try to pick up and throw, right over the Hoover Dam!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Demo Tx gubernator candidate Wendy Davis is getting lots of flashback on her vicious ad that ridicules her opponent Gregg Abbott being wheelchair bound. Even Democrats are telling her it's nasty. She's desperate, falling behind even further than most other Demo gov. candidates have done in the past few terms. She'll lose big time now.

So... what's your assessment? Do the Demos keep the US Senate or do they lose it? There are maybe 5 hotly contested senate races, all in "color blend" states that will tell the tale.

Does the Senate go Republican in November?

Demo Tx gubernator candidate Wendy Davis is getting lots of flashback on her vicious ad that ridicules her opponent Gregg Abbott being wheelchair bound. Even Democrats are telling her it's nasty. She's desperate, falling behind even further than most other Demo gov. candidates have done in the past few terms. She'll lose big time now.

Well Sam, this is another example of "You reap what you sew!"

Some libs are so hateful because deep down I think they know they're so wrong. Liberalism IS truly a disease, a disease that has killed more than Ebola Virus ever will.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,241 Senior Member
    Just got through early voting. This was the first day of voting, and when I got there, at about 2;30, in my small town, about 100 people had voted ahead of me. Indicative of a high turnout.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06