Do political bumper stickers change anyones mind or

2»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    What about the chrome bird silhouette on your passengers side tail light?
    So? Birds love me.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    No, bumper stickers ever changed anyone's mind ever. Best you can hope for is neutral, and usually you get the opposite.

The way I drive, I suppose I could do the best job possible as a shady political operative by having a "Hillary for 2016" sticker but my conscience would never let me sink that deeply into criminal actions.

Years ago I had a sticker on my MGA, "AuH2O 1964" that very few people understood, which was fine with me.

Fact being, I'm such a... mmm... "brisk" driver that any pro-conservative or pro-Republican sticker would only anger people more, so I eschew them.

And it's a bit thoughtless (I've said this recently in another thread) to have a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" or similar sticker. It may as well say "Gun inside - wait till I'm shopping then break in". Duh.

I do however have a little "100 Club" sticker in my back window. The "100 Club" is a charitable org here in Houston (which has spread to other cities now) that provides help for families of First Responders who give their lives in the line of duty. It's been said that cops seeing that sticker will give you a slight break if you're maybe speeding just a bit. Whether that's true, I don't know for sure, but I've never been stopped for speeding since I started my annual donation and got the sticker, so maybe?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Funniest bumper sticker thing I've heard of, a pal of mine some years ago. He was a professional printer and he ran off a bunch of stickers that were essentially a 3" diameter circle and all the sticker had on it was the cartoon image of a large wood screw.

He kept a bunch of them in his truck's glove compartment and gave a bunch away to us, too.

What were the stickers for? You would apply them to another person's bumper sticker that said "I (heart) such-and-such" like "I (heart) the Dallas Cowboys" and you'd plant the wood screw sticker over top of the heart symbol.

Worked best for large breed dogs or pro football teams.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    For me, it is a bad thing. I love jury duty. If there was such a thing as a professional juror, I'd apply for the job.

Not me. I was the jury foreman on a 2nd degree murder trial. I don't ever want to do anything even remotely close to that again.

Oh....not all attorneys are deliberate, professional, etc......I can recall two from the aforementioned trial that were total morons and had pretty much lost the entire jury within two hours of opening arguments.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    The one I've had on my truck the longest it simple and to the point,
    YES, this is my truck. NO, I won't help you move
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    I still say there are a few air heads that can be swayed by anything. But I ain't one of them. I'm pretty committed to my beliefs and no one speech or bumper sticker or sign or flyer is going to change me. And the media sure isn't going to change me. Not even Fox could change me. I like to watch the news there and several shows, but that's because I already believe what most say on there. I say most of what is said I believe.

The best thing to be said about FOX is they come closer to being fair and balanced than anything else on the air waves. If you don't think so, watch Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, or Allen Combs, to name a few. They also gave Ward Churchill his air time and he's past being liberal. He's so far left he almost comes around full circle. Then there's Bill Ayers of Weather Underground fame. He's about as bad as the Uni bomber. But FOX News interviewed him and gave him air time. I don't think CBS or NBC would give even Ted Cruz an unbiased interview or let him tell his side. It would be a Kangaroo Court session.

But having said all that, If fox had a view point that I didn't agree with, they won't change me. I might change myself, but it would take a while and more than one person to do that and there ain't no way they could change my core beliefs even a little.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
2»