He shoots. He...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 19,018 Senior Member
MISSES :tissue:

Had the most enjoyable day in the woods I EVER remember.
Had 3 Turkey hens come through for 20 minutes or so, Had 3 NICE bucks an 8 and two 6 pointers come out right at 1800 @ 60+ yards out (bow season) The smallest 6pt got within ~50 or so, but knew something was "different" in the shooting house and wouldn't come any closer.
The 3 fed away from me, sparred with each other some then went into the thick stuff behind the pole barn

(Yes SS3, I was in the stand you hunted) about 5 minutes later one came back out and started grazing towards me 3-4 minutes later his two "friends" came out too. The first one turned away from me and went to spar with his "buds". They sparred for a while 70+ yards away then casually grazed back to the wood line and disappeared back into the woods pretty much the same place they originally came out.

After they disappeared, sent the wife a text (had been giving her a play-by-play via text anyway) "Screw it, I've gotta pee". Opened the door to the stand and turned around to grab my Xbow to head out and saw HIM standing on the right side of the "Y" shaped field. (Tell wife "BIG DEER" BYE)
I estimated him @ ~50 yards, grazing my way. it's 1830 (15 minutes of legal shooting left) I let him get closer, light's fading and I decide it's now or never. Put my 40 yard mark a little high, figuring he's closed to ~40-45 yards.

Pull the trigger, the nock lights up and I see a bright red trace headed towards him. He squats a little, preparing to jump. I watch that bright red nock sail ~ 6" over his back.
He hits high gear headed out the back of the field. Actually call the wife and tell her, "It was the big boy, and I missed"

Get my schtuff together and go to recover my arrow. The greenfield is so thick, I lost the lighted nock when it hit the ground.
Leave Xbow on the ground behind the stand and start walking down the edge of the field, looking for the red glow amongst the leaves. Take about 5 steps in front of the stand, "big boy" had come back on the left side of the "Y" snorts (laughs???) at me and runs off.

Keep walking and FINALLY see some green glowing red. Pick up the bolt and the only thing on it is dirt, so at least it was a CLEAN miss.

I tried my "iScope" yesterday and my phone can't handle the video metering from inside a dark area, through the scope into a brighter area it suffers from whiteout, so no video of my miss of "big boy" :cuss:
HOWEVER, he's been frequenting that field so I DO have some recent pics of him caught in the time lapses. Unfortunately, the software quit working on my main computer so I've got to boot up my laptop, find the pics of him and then transfer them.

I haven't seen a view where I can say he's a 6,8,10 pointer or more but I can tell you, he's got the widest and heaviest rack I have ever seen. Spread wise, he puts the 118 B&C 8pt I have on my wall to SHAME.

While you've been reading this, I've been working on my laptop trying to pull a pic out of the time lapses. Check back in a few minutes because I'll also try and pull some pics of the 3 lesser bucks (2 of which already had me all worked up.) I have some recent IR pics of a couple of them when the grazed close enough to trigger the motion sensor that are uploading to photo bucket.

6 pointer
IMG_0014_zpsf418e2e0.jpg

The "goofy looking" 6 pointer that knew something was up
IMG_0016_zps66b2fed7.jpg

the best pic I have of the 8 pointer that came out in the bachelor group
IMG_0007_zps30a4d775.jpg

I'll pull a pic of "big boy" and post it momentarily
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Here's the best pic I could find of the one I actually shot at.
    It'a not a great pic, but you can at least see his spread. He's a MONSTER
    bigboy2_zps86735f42.jpg

Think about it, those 3 in the first post all out playing together without giving me a shot, then, 5-8 minutes after they leave THIS hat rack comes out and gives me a shot.

See why I say today's BRIEF hunt (I didn't get into the stand until 1600 after my clinical) was my best day EVER? First time I've ever seen a bachelor group. First time I've ever watched 2 bucks spar. Got a shot at the largest buck (rack wise) I've EVER seen alive.

Edited to add: the yellow star on the right side of the pic is approximately where he was standing today when I shot at him
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Had this been ML or gun season, I'd have never seen "big boy" because had those three lined up in the scope so many different times one of them wouldn't have left the field without a bullet hole in it. AAMOF at different times I had "two-fer" shots line up where, I could have killed any two of them with one shot.

2 necks, 2 chests, through one neck into a chest. Had multiples of all of them while they were grazing/ sparring.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    You got to play the game.

Some of best shots were "misses"
    Weatherby wrote: »

No doubt, a GREAT evening in the woods :beer:

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,712 Senior Member
    Sorry about the miss but glad you had a good evening, hope you see the big fella again. :beer:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,290 Senior Member

Very true. Some of my best hunting memories are of the shots not taken.

Paul, sounds like an amazing afternoon. Hope he comes back and gives you another chance.

Sako
    Thanks guys :beer:

Honestly, I'm probably going to leave that field alone a while and HOPE they'll still be using it when gun season opens so wife can get a shot at him.

She's never even SEEN a racked deer while hunting, much less gotten a shot at one, It would tickle me for her to get a chance at "big boy" with her 308.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    That plot is working out real nice, Paul. No doubt that buck is the real deal. I might consider resting the place for a few days if he's the one you're truly after, but then again, I hate to say it, but sometimes when the giants get spooked they don't come back. Regardless, if he's been coming through there, other shooters likely will, too.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That plot is working out real nice, Paul. No doubt that buck is the real deal. I might consider resting the place for a few days if he's the one you're truly after, but then again, I hate to say it, but sometimes when the giants get spooked they don't come back. Regardless, if he's been coming through there, other shooters likely will, too.
    great minds think alike Luis, I probably posted while you were typing :beer:

Found a SLIGHTLY better view of him. He's facing straight away from the game cam so you can see that his rack is quite a bit wider than his body
    bigboy3_zps94073426.jpg

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    Sorry for your miss Paul, but just maybe he enjoyed that field enough to come back.
    Come gun season, I bet a couple of those girlie deer munching on your food plot will tempt his return.

Good Luck to Mrs. Knitepoet regarding her first, well you know.........
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work, ya had a good evening, that's all that counts.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Thanks guys :beer:
    He's been coming in fairly regularly according to the game cam time lapses and I would be happier for the wife to get him than I would if I'd have gotten him last night

Jay, I couldn't agree more, and I spent most of yesterday doing my first clinical rotation for nursing school. I NEEDED a chance to "decompress" and watching those 3 bucks "play", then seeing and getting a shot at "big boy" SURELY gave me that opportunity.

great minds think alike Luis,

ok...... but how does that pertain to you two :confused:
    Hardee har har :punch:

:rotflmao:

Found another pic of him
    IMG_00091_zpsd35295cd.jpg
    I'm seeing at least 4 points on that right side, 5 is there's a brow time

I Could very well be wrong Paul but looks like an entirely different deer to me ?
    Different perspective, but having seen him through a scope, I'm pretty sure both pics are of the same deer

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    I Could very well be wrong Paul but looks like an entirely different deer to me ?

:that:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson