Home Main Category Personal Defense

While asleep . . . Where do you keep your SD weapon?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
This is an important question to me. Once upon a time I didn't think much about it. These days, the way things are going in the good old USA, I'm taking another observation and I don't like what I see. ISIS, Ebola, possible civil unrest. Doesn't look good to me at all.

Anyway, if someone crashed through your door at 2 A.M., is your SD gun handy? Do you have a close flashlight to use? Do you have a telephone by your bed after you've locked the bedroom door to call 911?

These are all very important things that everyone needs to consider. What is your situation when the unexpected happens?

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It and my light are close enough.
    However, I won't cower like a bitch in my bedroom behind a locked door and call the police. If someone sticks around through my alarm siren, they aren't there to sell me a magazine subscription. Unless the police happen to be in my kitchen drinking coffee when the bad guy breaks in, they ain't gonna do me a lick of good.

So you're gonna leave your bedroom, walk through your house, and confront the intruder(s) with a flashlight in one hand and your pistol in the other? To say that program is fool-hardy is the understatement of the evening! Good luck! Discretion, in your case, is the much better part of valor.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    So you're gonna leave your bedroom, walk through your house, and confront the intruder(s) with a flashlight in one hand and your pistol in the other? To say that program is fool-hardy is the understatement of the evening! Good luck! Discretion, in your case, is the much better part of valor.
    Like CPJ, I too have kids in the house. If the kids happen to be in my room... fine, I will wait out the cavalry. If not, I am going after whatever it is at least until I can get the kids in a safe area.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    So you're gonna leave your bedroom, walk through your house, and confront the intruder(s) with a flashlight in one hand and your pistol in the other? To say that program is fool-hardy is the understatement of the evening! Good luck!
    Gotta agree with that one. Unless there is a compelling reason, children comes to mind, then stay put. Ever done a force on force shoot house? Try it sometime before you start traipsing through your house chasing bad guys. You will almost certainly end up dead.

To the op, yes I have my firearms handy, and phone handy, and a way to carry spare ammo for anything I grab, while in my fighty whities.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    What I need is handy.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    Everything I (and my wife) need is close at hand. And, since LE response to my little part of the prairie is, AT A MINIMUM, 20 to 30 minutes out our plan is to take the fight to them....every persons own situation dictates how you respond to a threat...there is no one response that will work for everyone and in everyplace. Looking down your nose at one persons plans because they don't square up with yours is full of pitfalls....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Everything I (and my wife) need is close at hand. And, since LE response to my little part of the prairie is, AT A MINIMUM, 20 to 30 minutes out our plan is to take the fight to them....every persons own situation dictates how you respond to a threat...there is no one response that will work for everyone and in everyplace. Looking down your nose at one persons plans because they don't square up with yours is full of pitfalls....

:agree:
    I too have kids to consider.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    No kids here (normally) Have what I need close enough, and my plan is none of your concern or dammed business.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    My guns are on my side of the bed, the wife's on her side, along with the cell phones & flashlights, 2 big dogs at the foot of the bed. Jen knows to get in the closet and call 911, I wont turn on any lights so I wont lose my night vision. I'll be laying on the floor behind the dresser watching for the shadow of there feet under the door, I can then shoot there feet under the door and/or then thru the door, all the while I'm out of harms way.

That's the way Jen and I worked it out, if the dogs don't scare them off first.

And BTW I'm open to any suggestions to improve our plan.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I keep a rubber band gun in my nightstand.....that should be deterrent enough.

In all seriousness, I have what I need, where I need it.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    No kids here (normally) Have what I need close enough, and my plan is none of your concerned or dammed business.
    This is a public forum! What in hell is THAT suppose to mean?
    This is a public forum! What in hell is THAT suppose to mean?
    You and your judging of others plans because YOU disagree with them. Guess what sunshine? They've decided what's best for THEM and I doubt most of them care about your thoughts on their plan either

Don't give a rat's about what you might think of my plan, and as I PLAINLY said, none of your concern OR business.

Want to know what mine is? Feel free to break in uninvited and find out first hand, I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll like it though :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Because this IS a public forum…I think it meant exactly what it said.
    :win:

Yep. This can easily turn into a "This is where I keep my guns so you can break into my house and take them when I am gone" thread.
    -Thomas Paine
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You and your judging of others plans because YOU disagree with them. Guess what sunshine? They've decided what's best for THEM and I doubt most of them care about your thoughts on their plan either

Don't give a rat's about what you might think of my plan, and as I PLAINLY said, none of your concern OR business.

Want to know what mine is? Feel free to break in uninvited and find out first hand, I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll like it though :nono:
    I haven't judged anyone. I asked a general question for input and you come across as a -head. Others here would like to know what others feel and think. This is a very important topic for any shooter/gun owner. But, you have purloined your own negative attitude into a perfectly reasonable question. Others have not done so, but contributed to the topic at hand. So, you go ahead and scour your house with the bad guys lying in wait. Best of luck to you!
    I haven't judged anyone. I asked a general question for input and you come across as a -head.
    Hey now!!! Paul isn't a dashhead, he is a .
    -Thomas Paine
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I haven't judged anyone. I asked a general question for input and you come across as a -head. Others here would like to know what others feel and think. This is a very important topic for any shooter/gun owner. But, you have purloined your own negative attitude into a perfectly reasonable question. Others have not done so, but contributed to the topic at hand. So, you go ahead and scour your house with the bad guys lying in wait. Best of luck to you!

But what about those of us that use AR-15s for defense? remember the ones you don't like at the range.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I haven't judged anyone.

Stirring the pot again to see what sort of stinky stuff floats to the top, right?
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Wish I had your psychic ability peaches.
    Tell you MY plan is none of your dammed business and you're able to "divine" what YOU think my plan is from that. :roll:

Chris... you are a commahole.
    -Thomas Paine
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Crycky, the rare, six legged, stinky brown starfish

Teach wrote: »
    Stirring the pot again to see what sort of stinky stuff floats to the top, right?
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Yeah. Nothing but FLUX. The good stuff stays for a nice pouring into the mold! Unfortunately, not around here!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,014 Senior Member
    I have what I need and will use it accordingly.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Sleep? Sleep is for the weak!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Sleep? Sleep is for the weak!

I'm interested. Clue me in!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    While I understand not wanting to give specifics maybe we should give the guy a break. Maybe I missed another thread where he caused problems, but generally I think it's a fair question.

I've got at least two firearems, a hand full of knives and multiple bright lights all accessible in my upstairs bedroom along with a Shepard mix who doesn't care for strangers and a pitbull (roommate's dog) in my house to give me plenty of warning. I'm not terribly worried. Plus my 6"3 300 lb. Roommate lives downstairs so he's likely to be the first target and not an easy one. I'll sit armed, behind cover with a good view of the stairway until the Calvary arrives, or the dogs take care of the problem.

Alpha, I didn't know you were seeing someone, congrats dude.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

If this thread was a competition....you've just won it!

:roll2:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Gun, light and phone. The phone will be the last thing I pick u.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Maybe I missed another thread where he caused problems, but generally I think it's a fair question.
    I think it has something to do with his previously posted thread on the AR 15. He had some Zumbo opinions, and it didn't go well.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I smiled at this.