Home Main Category Personal Defense

While asleep . . . Where do you keep your SD weapon?

2456

Replies

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj, Where is your Humanity man?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    So you're gonna leave your bedroom, walk through your house, and confront the intruder(s) with a flashlight in one hand and your pistol in the other? To say that program is fool-hardy is the understatement of the evening! Good luck! Discretion, in your case, is the much better part of valor.

    That's a pretty severe assessment of cpj's strategy, if you ask me. You didn't but you could have easily questioned his plan without being so rude, dude.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    To answer the original question, I've got one of my 1911s right by the bed, cocked and locked. Plus a big Maglite on the shelf beneath, and my cellphone also within reach.

    No locking myself in the bedroom however. I can deal with an intruder heads-up and won't be hiding till the cops arrive. With our smallish apartment there's really no good place to hide anyway -- you get inside, you're there, and you better start your bad guy stuff asap because I'm a light sleeper.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I think it has something to do with his previously posted thread on the AR 15. He had some Zumbo opinions, and it didn't go well.
    The OP has a long history here of making unfounded and judgmental claims.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Mine?

    Yes yours...where is your humanity man.......aren't you still drying up Crocodile Tears from Ted Kennedy's passing? :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Well, no reason to get out the laundry list.

    Oddly, he will expect substantiation for what you say, while not supplying it for his claims...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Well, no reason to get out the laundry list.

    Oddly, he will expect substantiation for what you say, while not supplying it for his claims...
    Didn't he injure himself with a piece of plastic shrapnel or something? This was done after he claimed the AR type guys were dangerous on the range no?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Didn't he injure himself with a piece of plastic shrapnel or something? This was done after he claimed the AR type guys were dangerous on the range no?
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?19759-Injured-by-my-own-gun-and-a-little-stupidity-to-boot!
    Read the first sentence...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yo, don't be shootin through da dough, it might be yo Ho!

    Oh well, it rhymed anyhow :tooth: :jester: :conehead:

    Know your target before you pull the trigger!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Live alone, keep 9mm under mattress or under couch cushion when sleeping. One entrance, so if someone busts through the door they'll get two or three rounds of Critical Duty in the torso. I'll take my chances with 12 trying me over 6 carrying me. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    A person doesn't need an alarm system, but it's relatively easy to set up a motion detection light in the hallway where anyone approaching your door has to set it off. It can ring a chime, or simply turn on a light which should do two things. #1, alert you and #2, scare the bejeezus out of the intruder. Of course if you have a cat...all bets are off. Dogs are generally smarter and will sleep near your bed and stay there.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I am always near what I need. But since I am a `~!@#$%^&amp;*()_+-=[]{};':",./<>?hole, no, you don't get to hear my plan.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Which means they are already in your house, and therefore you are behind the game.

    You don't want to shoot them "outside" your house.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    A timely subject. Last night, I wanted to cool the house down and left the front door open with the screen latched. Watched a 2 hour show about the battle of Stalingrad and drank a couple of adult beverages. I went to sleep in my Lazy Boy, woke up at 4:30 relaxed.

    I had my handgun accessible in case a sassy bandit tried to defeat the latch on my screen door.

    If I were to hear someone in my living room while I was in the bedroom, I'd probably arm myself, cower like a bitch and dial 911. At least that's my plan now, subject to change with the situation.Good reasons for me, maybe not for someone else. One being that I don't want to have to clean up blood from my carpet, and especially if it's my blood. There are also psychological reasons for staying put that are too lengthy to go into here, besides I'm not a psychologist.

    My wife thought she heard someone downstairs years ago. Instead of following my strong suggestion prior to this, she went downstairs to see if she was being burgled. Armed, I think. Point is, she would have been safer in our bedroom with the door locked and armed.

    My daughter heard someone pounding on her door early one morning when she lived in Oakland. In spite of having a pistol under her bed, she went to the front door, got a kitchen knife out of a drawer when the pounding continued. She didn't dial 911 and didn't cower, but she should have.

    Different strokes.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I've got my....."assets" close enough and easily reachable. I have 2 children with another one due in January, so I've got to protect them......I can't lock our bedroom door and wait for the police.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    You don't want to shoot them "outside" your house.

    Why would that be? Around there,the act of attempting to forcibly enter anothers residence is reason enough to justify the use of deadly force under this states Castle Doctrine...You don't need to let them get in the house....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    This;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWfTznMj7SCrY8GVNyPf3M6cFxPlPb3XxrgL6WYcnj_qcORp8o



    Or this;

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUhm9mryhNrbkSx5iwUDBIuHbGl72YhBoE1AaA7qhOfdRoQU29Mg



    It depends on which side of the bed I am on.............. I have that kind of a marriage. :p
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't want to shoot them if I don't have to. If they hear a VERY LOUD siren and get the hell out of Dodge, we both win.

    This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    This;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWfTznMj7SCrY8GVNyPf3M6cFxPlPb3XxrgL6WYcnj_qcORp8o






    Or this;

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUhm9mryhNrbkSx5iwUDBIuHbGl72YhBoE1AaA7qhOfdRoQU29Mg



    It depends on which side of the bed I am on.............. I have that kind of a marriage. :p

    A walking stick and a boat paddle?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    A walking stick and a boat paddle?


    I say, have a care, what!!! :wink:
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Like CPJ, I too have kids in the house. If the kids happen to be in my room... fine, I will wait out the cavalry. If not, I am going after whatever it is at least until I can get the kids in a safe area.

    :that::agree:
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Yes x 3 to the OP questions.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    This;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWfTznMj7SCrY8GVNyPf3M6cFxPlPb3XxrgL6WYcnj_qcORp8o



    Or this;

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUhm9mryhNrbkSx5iwUDBIuHbGl72YhBoE1AaA7qhOfdRoQU29Mg



    It depends on which side of the bed I am on.............. I have that kind of a marriage. :p

    How did you manage to do that to your baseball bats????
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    This;


    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWfTznMj7SCrY8GVNyPf3M6cFxPlPb3XxrgL6WYcnj_qcORp8o



    Or this;

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUhm9mryhNrbkSx5iwUDBIuHbGl72YhBoE1AaA7qhOfdRoQU29Mg



    It depends on which side of the bed I am on.............. I have that kind of a marriage. :p
    Anytime I see cricket stuff I will always think of this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePx61TkXKY

    Shush what exactly is going on here? I know Piers is getting pummeled, and that is awesome, but is the "pitcher" allowed to throw at the "batter". As you can tell I know jack about Cricket.

    P.S. I understand this is in Austrailia, but I thought you would still be in the know.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    I damn sure am not waiting for the cops to arrive if there is someone in my house that is not supposed to be, right or wrong, the wife is calling 911 and I am clearing the house with 12 gauge and 00 buck. I will take my chances and I like my odds.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I live alone in a small 2 bedroom house, about 800 sq ft, no dogs to warn me so...

    I only have one son that is 28 and lives in Prescott so if a bad guy does me in so be it.....I will not cower in my bedroom while someone takes the stuff I have worked hard for all my life.
    Someone comes uninvited into my house and hopes to survive the encounter........well he better hope he can shoot faster and straighter than I can.

    I am not a mall ninja or a tactical junkie I am just a guy that will not lay down and let anyone walk over me. If the courts find that I was wrong then I'll go to jail...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • RivernymphRivernymph Member Posts: 80 Member
    I'll sit armed, behind cover with a good view of the stairway until the Calvary arrives, or the dogs take care of the problem.

    Hate to nitpick, Alpha, but according to Dictionary.com, you are waiting for an experience or occasion of extreme suffering, especially mental suffering. I recommend the cavalry.
    I ain't afraid to love a man. I ain't afraid to shoot him, either. --Annie Oakley
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't want to shoot them if I don't have to. If they hear a siren and get the hell out of Dodge, we both win.

    There are some people here who don't understand tongue in cheek.

    Quit being so serious.

    This has to do with an old law enforcement joke, that if you have to shoot someone outside the house, make sure you drag them in before you call the police.

    sheeesh.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I can envision hearing a 'bump in the night,' getting up and arming myself, creeping around in pitch dark listening for a flloorboard to creak....and Mrs. Bisley sneaking up behind me and goosing me in the short ribs, because she thought it would be funny. She just cannot take the idea seriously that someone would invade our home with the intent to harm us. It would just be so 'in character' for her, and I can't bring myself to try to topple that magnificent optimism.

    So, all I can really say is that if I need to shoot a bad guy, I will just get my gun and do it, if I get the chance. It's kind of like our plan for tornadoes. We can't see much in the direction one would come from, due to tall trees, and we don't have a storm cellar or 'strong-room,' so if we do happen to wake up to the sound of a freight train bearing down on our back door, we will probably just turn over and go back to sleep.

    I guess we depend too heavily on the idea that 'God looks after fools and children,' but our life experiences have just never caused us to have the necessary amount of paranoia to devise a sensible home defense plan. We know that bad things happen to good people occasionally, and we have the means, willingness, and some ability to defend ourselves, but we just can't seem to work ourselves up enough about it to devise a detailed 'inside the walls' defense plan. I suppose it would be different if we lived in town, or if we had had a little more conflict in our lives.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanChamberlain View Post
    "There are some people here who don't understand tongue in cheek.".

    "Same goes for the people lurking here." cpj

    Tongue in cheek will make a person look like they have a chaw of tobacky in their mouth :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement