I think I am going to be sick

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
Had a good shot with bow on a doe, 30 yards - made a terrible shot. Lumenok lit up just as it should have, walked right to arrow, NO blood, a couple white hairs and the arrow stunk to bejeevens. Thinking a low gut shot, not a spec. of blood. NOT GOOD.
Going back in a.m. to do some looking but not sure if the meat will still be good by then, it was 50 degrees when I got in my truck, looks like a low of 41 tonight, do you guys think meat would still be good in a.m.?
I will be losing some sleep tonight, i hate that! :bang:

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that...unlikely you're going to be able salvage much meat off a gut-shot deer that's been laying all night....perhaps the backstraps...assuming you get to it before the coyotes do....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Bummer
    the legs will be ok if you find it early on.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    The meat will be fine if you find it down today. Its not like the deer was laying dead all night, a gut shot will take time so it probably wont be expired for a couple hours at most, if it is dead at all.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Yeah give it a good search effort and I bet you find it. What was the ambient air temperature last night? If it was forty even fifty degrees F it is probably fine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    While I do admire folks who can take game with a bow, this is exactly the reason I haven't taken it up, myself. Mistakes happen, and I've made some, myself. But I've matured enough that I don't make many with a rifle, and I just don't want to start all over again, making the same mistakes with a bow. You will 'get over' this one, and probably won't make the same one again.

Good luck to you in saving the meat.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Looked long and hard today, even took the beagle out to see if he could catch wind (the old boy has found plenty in the past), I honestly don't think I killed that deer, there was O sign, so I am feeling better now.
    The rifle season is way to short here in KS Bisley, I can get in the woods 10 fold compared to the 2 week rifle season allotted here. I am actually ate up with bow hunting compared to rifle hunting anymore. I still love the rifle hunting and get over to MO for the two weekends of rifle hunting there, but it's more of a traditional deer camp with friends and family more that anything, but getting within bow range of whitetail just does it for me.
    You may have just cut some fat or rubbed the hide. Deer aren't the best smelling critters until they are on the grill.

Now that you feel better, I am going to remind you to go back to basics. Slow down, concentrate, follow through. If it feels long, it probably is.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I have made the shot many times over, I pulled out early, I knew when I released it wasn't right. Call it a case of doe fever.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    It sucks to scree up a shot with any weapon, but as we have stated on here before, if you play any game long enough, it's bound to happen. You're probably right that the doe survived.

Deer are surpringly resillient to some bad shots. I know of one that saw my arrow sail low on it, clip the upper leg below the brisket and hobble off looking mildly off kilter with a little bit of a limp. A friend reported seeing that same buck breeding does through the later part of the rut. Clearly he was only annoyed, at worst, by my poor shot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    I took a shot at a running doe with a .35 Remington in a rainstorm, and was pretty sure I saw hair fly and a big splash of water from the wet coat. We searched for hours in the cold rain, and never found any evidence at all of a hit. The next summer, my son saw a big doe in the same general area with a set of twin fawns, and a big bald spot on one side. Apparently I had made a non-lethal hit that just shaved some hair.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I knew mine worked on more than one level, and I had to let that one go to tu two too