School me on mechanical broadheads

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,656 Senior Member
Who uses them?

Those that do, which ones do you use?

Successes?

Ever had a failure with one?

FYI, looking @ 100gr for my crossbow. Currently using Muzzy MX4 4 blade
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,539 Senior Member
    I had been using the Muzzy 3 bladed broadheads and all the guys on my lease that archery hunted were huge fans of the Rage mechanical broadheads so I tried them but I never got to shoot one at game. I saw quite a few deer harvested with them and I know quite a few people that are rabid fans of them so there must be something to them. The only negative issue I've heard about them is that once you hit something with them, they are destroyed although Rage does sell rebuild parts for them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I've used them.... Rockets... Rage.... I still keep one in the quiver... They work... I prefer to shoot my Slick Tricks... But mechanicals do work well...
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    All I use are mechanical, I have never had a failure. I have used the carbon Express Torrid for the past 5 years, you make the right shot and they will do the job nicely. (and they are priced right $13.00 for 3 at my local Walmart)
    I don't like my arrow flight with fixed blades, these shoot more like your target inserts.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    Thanks guys
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,218 Senior Member
    That gargantuan buck my buddy shot in Maryland? Shot with a Rage 2-blade mechanical. Yes, penetration can suffer, especially at longer ranges, but they work well and generate massive wounds while shooting exactly like a field point.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.