Home Main Category Personal Defense

Shots fired inside Canada parliament

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29724907

''Several shots have been fired inside and outside the nation's parliament in Ottawa, leaving one soldier wounded.

A gunman fired at the National War Memorial and then ran into parliament nearby, continuing the attack.

Several buildings around the city are on lockdown and there are reports of more shots fired at a shopping mall near the parliament.''

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    And at a nearby mall they are saying. Shooter was shot and killed by the Parliament Sgt of Arms. Lots of shots fired.

Soldier shot at War Memorial is in hospital.

Lockdowns in area. More info slowly coming out.

Just a few days after another incident where a soldier was run down in Canada and the terrorist shot.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Big lockdown.

All still in a state of flux.

from live radio.

One soldier guarding the memorial came under fire........ just died. :bang:

Gunman in parliament building dead.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    Now they are talking about telling Canadian Forces not to wearing their uniforms in public.....Screw that...how about this...wear your uniform proudly and carry a sidearm....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ...wear your uniform proudly and carry a sidearm....

Well said. :up:
    The soldier died.:angel2:

It will take awhile for them to sort all this out. They are saying Canada has lost what innocence it had left since this and the earlier incident.

No official word this was an act of terrorism, but I think it will turn out that way.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    But... but.... but... their strict gun control laws make them safer.

Prayers out to the families of the victims and may the perp find himself in an especially warm part of hell :mad:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Hope its not "work place violence"
    Recent convert to Islam................DUH!

Now as things settled down some, they are saying only two, not four shooting locations. Where the Islamofacist bastard shot the unsuspecting soldier and inside the Parliament building where he was shot.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Canada is not so strict on long guns, but hand guns are taboo. As for wearing their uniforms, I say arm them and let them wear civilian clothes. Then when another slimeball tries something send him to Allah and his virgines.

As for calling this work place violence, the Canadians aren't as brain dead as we are. They're all calling it a Terrorist attack. They haven't pin pointed which terrorist group, but they are calling it what it is.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    This makes me angry as hell.

First, The soldier guarding the monument was armed, but typical liberal foolishness, he was not permitted to carry ammunition, and weapon cannot be loaded. We will trust these real men with millions of dollars of equipment and send them into harms way while the pansies sit at home, but don't trust them to defend themselves...

Second, Had to watch US news to hear word he was a muslim convert. Barely mentioned in any Canadian news till hours after US reported it. So scared of offending these slime balls they cover it all up.

Third..pictures of incident clearly show him holding a Winchester lever action...but they consistently have portrayed it as a "double barrel sawn off shotgun" in an attempt to incite even more firearms law debate. They can't even wait till the deaths were identified to start with their crap.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Prayers for the soldier and his family. As for the coward that shot him, may he rot in hell shoveling pig poop.

It was just a matter of time before they got hit. Their immigration policies are worse than ours, if that's possible. Find the mosque the dirtbag got radicalized at and 'disappear' the people that recruited them. Canada could possibly get a good lease on the Gitmo prison camp for questioning them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Flashover wrote: »
    This makes me angry as hell.

First, The soldier guarding the monument was armed, but typical liberal foolishness, he was not permitted to carry ammunition, and weapon cannot be loaded. We will trust these real men with millions of dollars of equipment and send them into harms way while the pansies sit at home, but don't trust them to defend themselves...

Second, Had to watch US news to hear word he was a muslim convert. Barely mentioned in any Canadian news till hours after US reported it. So scared of offending these slime balls they cover it all up.

Third..pictures of incident clearly show him holding a Winchester lever action...but they consistently have portrayed it as a "double barrel sawn off shotgun" in an attempt to incite even more firearms law debate. They can't even wait till the deaths were identified to start with their crap.

It was reported by someone on the scene who actually saw the shooter that it was a "shotgun," and by someone who apparently saw him going to the memorial reported it as a "double barrel shotgun." Long black hair and a bandanna over his face. I haven't seen pictures of the incident, however. I'd like to see them to see if the other description fits. Got a link? I did hear the initial report of some kind of gun and it was very loud and I thought at the time it was a shotgun,* followed by a bunch of lesser-sounding pops I took as being pistol shots.

*I heard this after I heard the report of the double gun, and could have been influenced.

FYI, military guards outside of combat zones never carry loaded rifles, and especially honor guards do not. Did plenty of guard duty in the US a long time ago, and not only did we not carry loaded weapons, we carried three rounds in our pockets. The Tomb on the Unknown guards do not carry live ammo.

EDIT: The picture you're referring to is not the incident photo, it's a selfie before the shooting. HOwever, the description of having long black hair and wearing a scarf does fit. It sounded like a bunch more shots to me than from a single shooter. Don't know.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Just another day at the office for Sergeant-at-Arms, Kevin Vickers.

1414065079551_wps_55_Kevin_Vickers_Gun_In_Hand.jpg

He did work for the RCMP for 29 years before taking on the role.

''Footage has emerged of the moments after Sergeant-at-Arms, Kevin Vickers, shot dead a gunman who had attacked the Canadian parliament in Ottawa.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29747228

His day job.

1297621100274_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1414005096600

Good man. :up:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Did anybody else notice that in one of the most handgun-unfriendly countries in the world- - - - - -

THE HERO OF THE DAY USED A HANDGUN TO STOP THE SHOOTER!

Is it just me, or is that somehow all sorts of ironic?
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Everyone noticed, but most were afraid to mention it. It doesn't fit the narrative.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Good job with your handgun Kevin Vickers! And, nice hat!
    Teach wrote: »
    Did anybody else notice that in one of the most handgun-unfriendly countries in the world- - - - - -

THE HERO OF THE DAY USED A HANDGUN TO STOP THE SHOOTER!

Is it just me, or is that somehow all sorts of ironic?
    :roll:
    Jerry

Not ironic at all....it proves (to them) the wisdom of arming certain(approved) subjects and keeping the common scum defenseless....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Kevin Vickers, I salute you for not waiting an hour for the SWAT team. Good man, indeed. :worthy:
    Does anyone know for sure what type of firearm the bad guy had? I hear shotgun, then hear 30-30 rifle, which I suppose could be taken for an O/U shotgun by someone unfamiliar with firearms. A picture of him with a lever action rifle was taken before the shooting.
    .22 lever action rifle, I heard.
    Saw a thing on Facebook that was a breakdown of the incident. The shooter ran down the hall and took cover in an alcove. The Good Guy heard the shooting and moved to where he was just on the other side of the alcove from the BG. He could see the barrel of the rifle, he was in an arm's reach.

GG dove to the floor so he landed on his back, shooting on the way down. And hitting the BG as the GG was falling! A good move like a TV move!

Then help arrived and began shooting, which accounts for all the extra rounds heard on the video, and answers a question I had. He was protected by the alcove from the back, but the shooting showed nine bullet holes in the alcove where he'd (presumably) been missed. And one errant round went through the door of the library which was at the end of the hallway.

So it's not just NYPD who sends errant rounds downrange.

EDIT: Found the video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wfzWJ2Hwo&feature=youtu.be
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    I just wonder how many rounds are considered errant after they've passed though the BG and bounced down the hall.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    He was in an alcove. It may have been a pass-through and a magic bullet, may have been an errant round. It's not important, really, since no one was hurt. Well, except the bad guy.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    He was in an alcove. It may have been a pass-through and a magic bullet, may have been an errant round. It's not important, really, since no one was hurt. Well, except the bad guy.

That was exactly........my point.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am sick & tired of hearing how Islam is the religion of peace, I call shenanigans!
    Why did they have "the sword of Islam" and all the kill the infidel hogwash ?

Islam is indeed responsible for most terrorism in the World just like aids is a clear danger to the public, but political reasons do not allow us to do anything about either!

Perhaps there is no cure for aids or terrorism, but both can be stamped out easily, profiling terrorists, potential student terrorists and aids testing everyone will conquer both terrorism and aids.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Bit of common sense shown over here, for a change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29815610

Following the incident in Ottawa, there have been calls for security in Westminster to be stepped up.

Soldiers with assault rifles in combat dress are helping to guard the entrance to Horse Guards Parade in central London's Whitehall.

_78614175_78614174.jpg

Ceremonial soldiers of the Household Cavalry Regiment usually assume sentry duties at Horse Guards Parade but they have now been joined by soldiers in camouflage carrying guns.

It is understood a decision to station armed soldiers at the site would have been taken by a local commander.''
    Well done...an SA80 (or is it an L85?) is so much more effective in a pinch than a saber...Now I'm wondering if he has ammo...
    Well done...an SA80 (or is it an L85?)

L85A2
    ...Now I'm wondering if he has ammo...

As to that, it's just a club else.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    But such an elegant club!!!

Oh Canada Oh Canada!
    I like to live in America, I like to live in America, etc... LoL
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    shush wrote: »
    As to that, it's just a club else.

But a very intimidating club....