Opinions on a CZ for personal defense

amtilton17amtilton17 MemberPosts: 54 Member
Hey guys,

What is your opinion on CZ as a manufacturer and, if they are any good, what is your favorite model for personal defense, specifically concealed carry?

Replies

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    CZ makes a decent handgun. I carry a CZ 82 and I have a CZ 85B that I sometimes use in PPC matches and plink with. I have IWB holsters for both of them and while I can almost forget that I have the 82 on, the 85B is just a tad bit heavy.

The only dislike that I had with them is the magazine does not drop free when you hit the release but it's a very easy fix to get rid of the brake.

I've no experience with the poly models tho.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    I think the CZ 75 is one of the best autos in that price class. They are very well made, accurate, and dependable. The design seems more comfortable to me than many others. The 75 is considered "Service" size but is a bit smaller than a Sig 226 or Beretta. Depending on the times of year and clothes, it is not that hard to conceal.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    I have a CZ 82 that I carry quite a bit, and like wd said you hardly even know its there. I think it is plently of gun for personal defense even though I do carry a 1911 sometimes, I like the extra rounds of the CZ.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • amtilton17amtilton17 Member Posts: 54 Member
    A lot of people on other forums as well have said they like the CZ 82. Is the 82 even made anymore?
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    amtilton17 wrote: »
    A lot of people on other forums as well have said they like the CZ 82. Is the 82 even made anymore?

The CZ82 is a surplus military handgun chambered in 9x18 thats not in production. The civilian version is the CZ83 and it's available in .380 and .32

The 82 is still available thru Aim surplus, Classic arms, J&G and I'm sure numerous other sites.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    For accuracy and dependability, it would be hard to beat a CZ75 at any price. They are very well made pistols.

I have no personal experience with the smaller CZ82/83 class pistols, but they seem to be well made service pistols.

I would as soon trust my life to a CZ as to any other pistol on the market. PERIOD.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    I have a cz 75 and 82. I shoot IDPA with my 75 and it's my favorite pistol. It shoots well, is accurate and isn't terribly expensive. My 82 is actually a bit more accurate than the 75, but the lower powered 9x18 round makes it a secondary choice for SD given that's it a bit large for the cartridge that it shoots.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    What was the 9mm you let me shoot at the shoot
    that was sweet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Yep that was the CZ-75.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    I missed the part in the OP about CCW. The 82 is a bit big for the chambering, you can get much smaller options in 9x18 or .380, but I'd carry mine in a pinch. The 75 is a full sized pistol so I wouldn't normally carry it. There are some smaller options that I don't have much experience with, the P01 and P07 duty are a bit smaller and easier to carry, but still not exactly small. I think there are a few people around here that have the RAMI which is more designed for CCW. Overall as much as I love CZ, they don't have the best options for the CCW market.
    -DoctorWho
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    Hi there AMTILTON17; How's everything in Virginia??? I truly want to help you so I may be a little lenghty. I own a CZ75 SP-01 SHADOW in the 9mm version. I carry it with a FIST holster. There is only one thing I don't like about the pistol. It does not have a decocker. Other than that I love it. First of all it is EXTREMELY ACCURATE. Very reliable. I really love the 18 round magazines. I got mine thru their custom shop in Arizona. I got the 3 dot night sights. Sticky aluminum silver grips. With the mag it weighs about 39oz, so its a little heavy. The fist holster is a inside the pants holster that I carry at the 2 o'clock position. The barrel is 4.7" in length. Overall it is 8.1" long. I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in it for CCW. That ammo is low recoil and designed specifically for self defense (hence the name). I trust this pistol with my life because I know it is EXTREMELY ACCURATE AND VERY RELIABLE. I think I have about $1,300 tied up in the whole package. Iam thinking seriously about getting a SECOND ONE. That should tell you how strong I feel about this weapon.
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    The CZs are among the finest firearms made. Until the Soviet Union fell it was hard to get a real CZ, and Tanfogillo of Italy came out with a good (not great) copy called the EAA Witness. The Baby Eagle is another basic clone. Today you can get the real thing. The Russian Special Forces carried the CZ75, so that should tell you something. It's an excellent gun, and has terrific ergonomics. The only automatic that I think feels as good in your hand is a Sig. You can get the same basic gun in 9mm, .40, and .45 (slightly bigger). I've not handled the new polymer models. If you get a CZ, you will be happy with it, I promise.

Check 'em out at http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
    Thank you all for your input about CZ. I do believe I will be purchasing a CZ75B or CZ75 Compact. I will be going to a gun show on the 16th here in VA and hopefully they will have one for a good price.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    amtilton17 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input about CZ. I do believe I will be purchasing a CZ75B or CZ75 Compact. I will be going to a gun show on the 16th here in VA and hopefully they will have one for a good price.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum. Don't be a stranger. :beer:
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    Well since CZ now owns Dan Wesson, and since Dan Wesson makes 1911's. . .:tooth:

CZ makes some truly excellent stuff. My preferred model is the 75 SA - the single action only model. Seeing as the DA feature is something I would NEVER use on a gun that can be carried cocked and locked, I'd just as soon not have the extra parts of a DA trigger mechanism.

The only strike against it - and the rest of CZ's handguns - is that they have double stack magazines, which make them bulkier for CCW purposes.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I liked my CZ-75B so much that I bought a RAMI, the compact model that is about the size of a Glock 26. It is the best shooting compact I've ever shot.

However, mine was part of a 2004 run that slipped through the quality control system and went out on the market with a rough and poorly shaped feed ramp and rough rails. As a result, it would not properly cycle hollow points and was too unreliable for a CCW. I finally sent it back to the factory and they rectified the problem, at no charge to me.

It took me a while to regain trust in it for a CCW, but after about a 1000 rounds of good performance, I settled on a personal defense round that it would fire without fail, and began carrying it occasionally. It is a great pistol, now, and I shoot it more accurately than any other 3" barreled pistol I have tried.
    ericb wrote: »
    Good Luck and welcome to the forum. Don't be a stranger. :beer:

Oh I won't be lol.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    I don't know how I missed this thread...

I am a bit of a CZ collector and have a whole pile of them. I have pretty much all the models mentioned on this thread. I trust CZ firearms for hunting, and also for the protection of my family and myself. The CZ-75 is one of the best 9mms on the market, and while the CZ82/83 is a bit big for it's cambering, it is a hyper accurate firearm. I do not hesitate to carry mine for protection. I own a few of the poly models, and they work just as well as the steel.

A hearty recommendation here. I don't think you can go wrong.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    Man, I saw this earlier and was wondering when bullsi was going to show up.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They are good pistols and have come a long way since the ones I saw in Germany at the Rod & Gun Clubs for $159.00 packed in grease, two mags with "Jungle Paint" black finish. This was in the 80s and they still weren't largely available in the USA except at a very high price. BATF would let you bring home just two, if you were so inclined. I imagine some were sold, I'd heard for $500 by returning GIs.

Ergonomically they are about the best handling high capacity 9mm out there. With the all the improvements and then the model 85s/other models and better grips/sights they are hard to beat these days.

Regretfully I never was all that interested back then in them and didn't buy any. I've fired plenty though. I do own a CZ 82 in 9X18 MAK caliber and it is a well made little pistol.

As Bullsi and I were discussing at the TX shoot the other day, CZ USA took over Dan Wesson too. Go handle and fire one first if you can and I think you will be pleased. Hard to go wrong with a CZ if you are looking for a "Wondernine".
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Missed the fact you were from VA. If you were closer to NOVA i'd offer to meet up with you and let you try out my 75 and 82, but based on the fact you mentioned the Salem, VA show I'm guessing you're down in SW VA somewhere and that'd be a bit of a drive.

At least at the NOVA shows there are usually a few places with a decent selection of CZs. I'm always a fan of Trader Jerry's if he's there.
    -DoctorWho
    Missed the fact you were from VA. If you were closer to NOVA i'd offer to meet up with you and let you try out my 75 and 82, but based on the fact you mentioned the Salem, VA show I'm guessing you're down in SW VA somewhere and that'd be a bit of a drive.

At least at the NOVA shows there are usually a few places with a decent selection of CZs. I'm always a fan of Trader Jerry's if he's there.

yeah, i am in lynchburg
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    I couldn't be happier with my CZ-75 SP01, especially when you consider the price. They are very well built and reliable. The trigger does take some time to wear in and there is a small spot on trigger mechanism that benefits from some grease every now and then. Mine has proven to be more accurate than I am capable of.
  • WheelgunnerWheelgunner New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    JKP;

Welcome into the fray!
    Smokeless powder and automatic pistols are merely passing fads that will simply distract you from the fine art of shooting.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    go find a gun rental range and try what you can affored . spend some time handling/fondling and shooting as many as possible. if its for SD, likes shouldnt play into the picture as much as being proficient.

also, try to get some professional help. sometimes you can learn alot from instructors.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt