Home Main Category Clubhouse

Preferred vehicles of idiot drivers

BigslugBigslug Posts: 9,863 Senior Member
Sam's Driving Tips thread brought this notion back to the front of my mind. It has always seemed to me that certain vehicles seem to attract certain driving styles, and of course it's the ones that threaten our safety that tend to stand out.

Back when Volvo was making the incredibly boxy tanks and really plugging their crash safety capabilities over all other features, the inept behavior of their drivers on the road prompted me to coin the phrase "People who drive Volvo's. . .SHOULD".

I've noticed a fair amount of inconsiderate types in F150's - though this may be more due to sheer numbers of them on the road than to any direct "type-attraction". The F250 and F350 crowds seem more professional and courteous overall.

Lately, I've seen a lot of inconsiderate and reckless driving in Nissan Altimas.

I recently heard a radio ad for a new electric BMW that charges for three hours and only goes 80 miles. I'll be keeping an eye out for those, figuring that they can only appeal to morons.

Any name plates you carefully watch when you see them on the road?
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,104 Senior Member
    I look out for automobiles. I've found all makes and models to have idiots in them....
    Meh.
  • NNNN Posts: 25,236 Senior Member
    In these parts it is a pickup with oversized wheels, loud muffler, and often a license plate from a western state; ie, owned and operated by a Marine.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    Women driving Lexus SUV's!! I don't know why but they are always the ones who drive slower in the passing lane than they do on the right.

I will have my cruise on and they pull over to pass slower traffic and I have to kick off the cruise. Once they pass and get back into the right lane, I hit resume on cruise....... And they pull away from me.

When we get to the next car to pass, they get in the left lane ....and slow down and I have to kick cruise off!!

They must think the Highway Patrol only ticket people in the passing lane??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,758 Senior Member
    Down here it is mostly the more expensive the car the more inconsiderate and self entitled the driver.
    The higher the number on a BMW or Mercedes, the higher your percentage for being cut off, the car crossing 4 lanes of traffic to make a turn, or driving 45mph on I 95 in the left lane while texting or chatting on the phone.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Anybody driving a Prius, or any hybrid. They will get in the left hand lane on the Interstate, set the cruise control below the speed limit, and won't move right. They have even less knowledge of the turn signal and its use than the average idiot on the road, anytime, anywhere.

And ANYBODY that lives in the Atlanta area and is on the road any time of day. And most especially morning and evening rush hours; it's like they have a micro switch in their butts that disconnects their brains when they sit down behind the steering wheel. EVERY TIME I drive through that epicenter of insane driving I barely escape swapping paint with one or more of the idiots trying to occupy the same point in the space time continuum I happen to be occupying at the time.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,429 Senior Member
    Minivans. If there is a traffic snarl- the cause is more than 85% to be a minivan
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Around here it's Escalades, Navigators, Prius and HUGE, dodge diesels with a 12" lift kit, big tires, loud mufflers and belching black smoke, driven by 18-24 year old kids that have oil field jobs.
  • bisleybisley Posts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I'm going to pretend your stereotype of F-150 drivers applies to California big cities, only, since every other vehicle in Texas is an F-150. :tooth:

Of course, that means that there are a lot of knuckleheads driving them, but they also drive KIAs and Hyundais in similar percentages.
  • pjames777pjames777 Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I've found that every make has a nut behind the steering wheel!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,360 Senior Member
    1. Any pickup of any vintage with a "Bad Ass Boys Drive Bad Ass Toys" sticker in the back window.
    2. Anything driven by a blonde with her hair up in a pony tail sticking through the back of a baseball cap....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    1. Any pickup of any vintage with a "Bad Ass Boys Drive Bad Ass Toys" sticker in the back window.
    2. Anything driven by a blonde with her hair up in a pony tail sticking through the back of a baseball cap....

And those blondes can pronounce "Awesome" 3 outta 5 times correctly, but don't ask them to spell it :whip2: :roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,283 Senior Member
    Minivans and compact pickup trucks equipped with camper shells. Guaranteed to be going 10 under. Oh, and vintage VW micro-busses. We have a ton of them around here, they were a menace when new...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • samzheresamzhere Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    SUVs seem to be a big impediment, and not just because of their size -- for some reason, SUV drivers seem to think they can go wherever or whenever they wish with impunity. Same as once was the case with Caddy drivers.

My main problem is with pickup drivers, though. And it's never trucks that are actually USED as real trucks. Those folks know the rules and get along with it. It's some idiot 23-year old in a huge F-250 or whatever (brand of truck seems to not matter). These are the ones with jacked up suspension, huge outrigger tires, some sort of weird re-made truck bed that now cannot be used for carrying anything. In other words, not the truck owner who has a truck that's maybe a bit dirty and dented and has just finished hauling bricks or lumber or whatever. No -- it's the truck owner who never actually "uses" the truck for genuine "truck" purposes.

This sort of pickup is always too slow and too inept, and due to its size, blocks traffic more than other ineptly driven smaller vehicles.
    Them VW vans were dogs on the autobahn in Germany. MPs had a lot of them and you could hear them coming way off on the Kasernes/Housing areas.

I drove one in the 80s from the TMP at times and you were lucky to get 120 KPH down hill max. They either had governors or we had the smaller engines. They were durable as all get out, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Old curmudgeons in T-Birds :tooth:
  • BuffcoBuffco Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Woman driven. Car type doesn't matter
  • gatorgator Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Old curmudgeons in T-Birds :tooth:

That's funny right there :applause:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I look out for automobiles. I've found all makes and models to have idiots in them....

:that:

The one that caused my recent accident was a docile looking Chevy Yukon.

Not really any one style or model worries me more than another, although I have noticed that Some Hummer Drivers seem to be impervious to all other traffic and that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. Years back if I came upon a ratty looking anything that had a fancy paint job and a pair of dice hanging from the rear view mirror and emitting blue smoke from the tail pipe, if I was on a two lane road with lots of oncoming traffic that I was screwed if i was in a hurry, because this dude wasn't in a hurry and had no sense of urgency, so I was in for a long ride smelling buring oil. But this guy or gal wasn't any threat because those people were usually old season drivers, but they were just slow.

Nope, you can find an idiot behind the wheel of anything nowadays, there's no profiling their cars. Actually the worst offenders are white male youngsters between the ages of 16 and 25, and you will see them driving anything from Vettes to Volvo's.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Posts: 14,104 Senior Member
    When they're going away from you I've found this bumper sticker to be problematic:

coexist.jpg

This one, probably not so much:
    Sign-01_Coexist.jpg
    Meh.
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Posts: 819 Senior Member
    I don't trust Smart car drivers. There's not many around here, but I work at a Smart dealership and have dealt with the kind of people that want to drive that car, and it's not pretty.....
    samzhere wrote: »
    SUVs seem to be a big impediment, and not just because of their size -- for some reason, SUV drivers seem to think they can go wherever or whenever they wish with impunity. Same as once was the case with Caddy drivers.
    Yea, Caddies don't seem to be the impediment they used to be.

As for SUVs, we have too many examples around here that demonstrate "Physics wins, EVERY TIME!". The favored demonstration is upside down in the ditch on the outside of a curve...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    When they're going away from you I've found this bumper sticker to be problematic:

coexist.jpg

Sign-01_Coexist.jpg

Although I'm definitely in favor of the sentiment (as long as "they" want to Coexist with ME), the top example is usually found on Priuses. I'm going to have to Google the bottom one for acquisition!

)O(
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Range Rovers :tooth:

:win: :win: :win:

You are a smart Monkey. :conehead: Are you signing up for the first manned/aped Mars trip! :jester:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,429 Senior Member

coexist.jpg

Sign-01_Coexist.jpg

I have found that there is an inverse proportion of intelligence to the amount of bumperstickers on the back of the car.

Bumper-Sticker-Austin-Art-for-Obama.jpg

(BTW, I have been behind THAT VERY CAR in traffic.)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I have found that there is an inverse proportion of intelligence to the amount of bumperstickers on the back of the car.

Bumper-Sticker-Austin-Art-for-Obama.jpg

(BTW, I have been behind THAT VERY CAR in traffic.)

OMG!

)O(
  • jaywaptijaywapti Posts: 5,115 Senior Member
    The high't of idiocy in drivers and trucks, Miami Beach on Ocean Dr. Fri. or Sat, night , the rappers in there 1 ton 4 door 4x4 with 10 & 12" lifts and 40" tires and straight pipes, most have the front driveshaft removed.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Although I'm definitely in favor of the sentiment (as long as "they" want to Coexist with ME), the top example is usually found on Priuses. I'm going to have to Google the bottom one for acquisition!

Well if you find a source, clue me in. I want one too.

On topic, white SUVs and Chevy PUs
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • RivernymphRivernymph Posts: 80 Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Woman driven. Car type doesn't matter
    Buffy,
    I'm a woman and I could drive an ambulance up your ass and you'd never feel it. I know there aren't too many of us females on here to insult, but there are a few and one of us, trust me, knows how to drive.
    I ain't afraid to love a man. I ain't afraid to shoot him, either. --Annie Oakley
  • BuffcoBuffco Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Rivernymph,

Please accept my apologies. Stick around here awhile and you'll see most everything I post is tongue in cheek. I'm not worth getting insulted BY.