EBOLA is not a danger to us in the USA?

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,528 Senior Member
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    You can view it from different angles....

Historically, it seems like during Democrats' watch, international events that eventually became incidents that everyone assumed the US should have reacted differently/swiftly (Balkan wars, Rwanda genocide, Talibans, Somalia, Libia, Iran, etc.) but instead took them too much time to asses, plan or think about, resulting in a number of casualties either high among civilians or 3rd. parties, or relatively low but politically expensive to them. Considering this time there's no REAL enemy shooting back and media hype high, it can give some "air" to the worn presidential image, turning him and his government into "men of action". Saves them face in front of international community too.......

Add to that the fact that it's "only" taxpayers' money what's being put into risk for apparently a good cause from all point of views (Victims are poor, black, high-risk, etc.) and you have a nice PR situation. Remember that for politicians, the important thing is not to "do" but to "give the impression of doing" since they don't live of actual results but public perceptions

Also remember than media and dumb (Most) public usually take the side of "Chicken Littles"; a President (Or other Government officials) going into live TV taking the issue "lightly" (Meaning with proper scientific approach) won't be the most popular guy around, specially after media has sold the image of pretty much the same as "The living dead".

We saw exactly the same behavior pattern 15 years ago when a small Cholera outbreak appeared here and under the motto of "better safe than sorry" and thinking more about keeping their jobs than presenting to the people the real facts, local authorities & politicians went to the extreme of suggesting that eating fish & seafood (No matter if it was properly cooked) or even going into the sea could spread the virus out of control. Results? Less crowded Summer ever with empty beaches and absurdly cheap fish products.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Now, there is a lot of talk about suspected Ebola patients "Being Disappeared" by Govt officials so say doctors and BP and union leaders. Told to tell the public they have Malaria/Typhoid.

Who knows what extreme they will to avoid panic.

Anyway more and more is leaking out. Docs say they have been threatened they will lose their License and radio stations say the FCC has said the same, will close them down??????

Click on link and go down for interview with a Doc for more.

http://www.infowars.com/medical-professional-health-authorities-covering-up-ebola-cases-in-u-s/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,050 Senior Member
    For the love of....

If you're taking "information" from Infowars as true, you need to have your head examined.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I the Doc a fake? Did you listen to the interview. Could all be hysteria/conspiracy theory or true, I dunno.

He is a real Doc, a quack............I dunno.

http://www.cassregional.org/aspx/result.aspx?pid=53
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Let me make it simple for you: if it's on infowars, IT IS A CONSPIRACY THEORY. That's what Alex Jones does.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    For the love of....

If you're taking "information" from Infowars as true, you need to have your head examined.

Absolutely. Infowars is completely bogus. bream's right on this, Chief. Nobody's "disappearing", pal.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    There may very well be more cases of Ebola and patients with or suspected of having it may be whisked off to holding facilities we don't know about, but I think more likely the ones caught illegally crossing the Mexican border (with symptoms) the news media doesn't know about may be taken to some type of remote quarantine someplace. All speculation on my part.

Could be released after they found nothing or treated for a more minor illness like malaria, I dunno.

We would have never thought the IRS would audit you if you asked for a tax exemption for a conservative Tea Party like organization, asked you how you prayed and what books you read, but they did. We would have never thought weapons would be knowingly allowed to go from the US to drug cartels, but they were so.................. Just sayin
    samzhere wrote: »
    Absolutely. Infowars is completely bogus. bream's right on this, Chief. Nobody's "disappearing", pal.

Oh yeah, what about Roswell?
    Beats me Bream. That exact scenario has been discussed ad infinitum on TV news shows by pundits talking about the possibility of ISIS trying to use it against us.

How about fly from Africa to Mexico City................

Bream, I think one of your posts "Disappeared" see what I mean...............:jester:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/gop-congressman-hamas-might-infected-themselves-with-ebola-a

"A Republican congressman says terrorists from Hamas could purposely infect themselves with the Ebola virus and then travel to America.

Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina was asked Thursday, during a question-and-answer after a speech, about the threat of Ebola entering the country through the U.S.-Mexico border. Referring to the “hypothetical,” Wilson said, “I’m very concerned. We had people who, I’ll repeat it, the creed of Hamas: We value death more than you value life. What? That’s their creed.”

The South Carolina congressman suggested that to promote their ideology, Hamas militants could send themselves to the United States, a situation he said could be avoided by sealing the southern border.

“Okay, well, part of their creed would be to bring persons who have Ebola into our country. It would promote their creed. And all this could be avoided by sealing the border, thoroughly. C’mon, this is the 21st century.”

Earlier, Wilson called for Ebola-related travel ban and said we should “seriously seal the southern border.”

“I’m absolutely convinced, too, that we’ve got to seriously seal our southern border,” said Wilson. “If you have tens of thousands of children coming across the border who could have potential health issues the thought of other people coming across to me just should be stopped and avoided.”

“We need to have secure borders,” concluded Wilson.

Rand Paul............

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/14/3579690/scott-brown-immigration-2/

"In recent weeks, several Republicans have connected border security to potential international threats, such as Ebola or the entrance of terrorists from ISIS. The Republican senate nominee for North Carolina, Thom Tillis, said earlier this month that the United States should close the border with Mexico to prevent the spread of Ebola. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has suggested that Ebola could enter the United States through Mexico. As early as July, Rep. Phil Gingrey of Georgia claimed that there were reports of immigrants from Mexico and Central America carrying Ebola into the United States. There have not been any cases of Ebola in Central America so far. "
    I disappeared it. Why? Because you're now at the point of using anything you can to try and support what you think is happening. No sense in trying to debate. Your "Think Progress" link is CRITICAL of the very theory you are putting forward. The site is a liberal/progressive site for pushing their agenda.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I disappeared it. Why? Because you're now at the point of using anything you can to try and support what you think is happening. No sense in trying to debate.

Those Congressmen also think they could come in from Mexico infected, you wanted to know how that is possible, so I'm not the only one saying it isn't all that far fetched.

I can not defend Infowars and after some research concluded they are like the National Enquirer or The Sun. Some facts and a lot of speculation.

It is not just from Infowars. Rumbles and stories are popping up from other sources now. I really don't know, but don't think it is out of the realm of possibility our Govt has some disaster facilities set up in remote locations in case we get a large outbreak.

Has anyone been whisked away to them..........I dunno. It would make sense to try and quell panic from spreading and isolate them.
    I disappeared it. Why? Because you're now at the point of using anything you can to try and support what you think is happening. No sense in trying to debate. Your "Think Progress" link is CRITICAL of the very theory you are putting forward. The site is a liberal/progressive site for pushing their agenda.

Yes, but the Congressmen did say it is a possibility infected terrorist could come in from Mexico. I know they want (Think Progress) open borders and think Reps are using Ebola as a scare tactic for more border control.

Besides it has to be true if it was on the Internet on here and everywhere else......right? :tooth: :conehead:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Besides it has to be true if it was on the Internet on here and everywhere else......right? :tooth: :conehead:

While I don't believe it's currently happening, I do believe that it could happen. This administration has shown a marked ability to cover up/sweep under the carpet what they can and to spin or manufacture from whole cloth stories that they can't. As Chief pointed out, lots of things have happened since 2008 that we thought were highly unlikely if not impossible before then. With the majority of media sources performing the role of compliant lapdog, it wouldn't be all that difficult to do. Those media sources that do look for such stories are often dismissed as being on the kook fringe and therefore unworthy of consideration. The problem with that line of thought is that sometimes the kooks get it right.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Didn't an earlier post by someone say our own Gooberment was studying weaponizing Ebola?

It is not all that far fetched that a terrorist would love to sneak it into the US by getting himself infected.

Have they tried yet, I have no idy.

I agree Infowars propagates one conspiracy theory after the next. I normally don't fall for any of this stuff, but I think they may be on to something this time, whether it is making folks "Disappear" as they called it or just putting them in quarantine like NYC/NJ is doing and announcing it publicly or not we will have to wait and see.

I surely believe and it is my OPINION there is more to the whole Ebola story than we are being told.

Keep watching the news is all I can say.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    Didn't an earlier post by someone say our own Gooberment was studying weaponizing Ebola?

I surely believe and it is my OPINION there is more to the whole Ebola story than we are being told.

As for weaponizing, yes both the U.S. and the Russkies worked at this for a while. Probably others too. As for opinions, I'm actually right there with you. If this government thinks it CAN, it WILL, so long as there is a perceived reason. I'm not convinced it's happening now, but I have no doubt they will if they feel a need.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Actually, it was Marburg...not Ebola...but both are hemorrhagic fevers....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Ya'll see where that nurse in NY is whining because she was put in quarantine.

Well DUH, she just came back from working with Ebola victims in Africa and had a fever according to their Temp Guns at entry.

Highly noble thing she did, but she could be or l may be infected so I see nothing wrong with keeping her isolated for 21 days under NY/NJ new guidelines.

"Nurse rips Ebola quarantine policies
    after treatment at airport, hospital"

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/25/few-details-offered-on-quarantines-over-ebola-drawing-criticism-from-nurse/
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    The ditzy woman is out bike riding this morning. She's getting her 15 minutes of fame, but I'll bet she's managed to shoot herself in the foot for ever getting employed again. What health care facility administrator with more than two brain cells to rub together would hire a loose cannon like that?
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    These early representatives in the Medical profession have set the standards for quarantine and the need! The Med profession has only them to
    for this need measure.

I remember as a kid seeing homes quarantined for much lesser diseases.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »

I remember as a kid seeing homes quarantined for much lesser diseases.

Marines on R&R...........shutter the windows and Katy Bar The Door :tooth:
    That Doc in NYC didn't "Self Quarantine" and didn't admit going anywhere until investigators checked his subway pass and credit records, then he told them. How the NYC mayor can say he did all the right things is beyond me. He should be arrested if he lives and charged with public endangerment. He and that darn nurse should know better having just been to Africa treating Ebola. Their personal wants should be way down the list.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member

It is not all that far fetched that a terrorist would love to sneak it into the US by getting himself infected.

Have they tried yet, I have no idy.

I agree Infowars propagates one conspiracy theory after the next. I normally don't fall for any of this stuff, but I think they may be on to something this time, whether it is making folks "Disappear" as they called it or just putting them in quarantine like NYC/NJ is doing and announcing it publicly or not we will have to wait and see.

I doubt we've looked at it offensively, but those parts of DHS and DOD focused on defense from chemical and biological attack have certainly looked at it from a defensive perspective. From what I remember from my days working in those areas (I was looking more at modeling dispersal and attack modes vs. epidemiology), but it's not expected to spread, at least in highly developed countries nearly as rapidly and effectively as some other diseases. It's also fairly delicate outside of the body so it doesn't last very long just sitting on surfaces, unless you're wiping infected blood all over everything which would be a bit obvious. The type of attack you suggest could definitely incite panic, but I'm not sure how may infections it could actually lead to. I'm sure at least dozens, maybe even hundreds which would be plenty to incite panic, but it's doubtful it would lead to a full blown epidemic of the type the media wants us to hide in fear from.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Heck, if they scooped up all the Horse Manure politicians (both sides of the isle) generate in DC and put it in "Dirty Bombs" it would gag entire population centers..............:tooth:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,764 Senior Member
    Regarding that nurse that won't honor her 21 day quarantine, the answer is simple. Give here a 30 day all expenses paid vacation in the nearest Gray Bar Hotel. Problem solved.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    It looks like that's exactly what the governor of the state is about to do. Let her gripe all she wants from inside an isolation ward of a prison hospital! Maybe she can share a facility with that lying doc who is already showing symptoms!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,764 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It looks like that's exactly what ther governor of the state is about to do. Let her gripe all she wants from inside an isolation ward of a prison hospital!
    Jerry

Sounds like somebody has the stones to do what's right! :up:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,043 Senior Member
    I'm not sure he's going to put her in jail. He's up for election this year in a tight race, and if she DOES have Ebola, she doesn't belong in jail, which isn't equipped to handle Ebola, she belongs in a hospital. What I think he'll do is monitor her twice daily (blood test) and at the most, enforce an isolation in her house. Or have her transported to a hospital against her will.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Who knows what to believe of this administration or rather commie regime? And now another part of the plot is being disclosed. The Government may have been planning on bringing Ebola patients from other countries than the U.S. here for treatment. Obama is a pathelogical liar and the story changes daily. And that Doc in New York, he should be charged with intent to kill. He knew better, and didn't get humble until he was running a high fever and crapping his pants before he went and turned himself in. He shouldn't have got out of the airport without being quarantined. And that Bimbo Nurse from Maine? She's gotta be brain dead. I almost wish she'd come down with Ebola so somebody could tell her just what a jerk she is. I think if she came to Texas like that Perry would have her locked up so quick she wouldn't have a clue where she was. Sometimes it looks to me that Obama wants to kill us.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Cuse me while I navigate over to INFOWARS for the latest...........................:tooth: